PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed - assistant

VINASOL
23-07-2010, 08:37 AM
This may turn out to be a long post so apologies in advance.

I've not been registered long, and have found out that my husband might either be made redundant, or his job will change.

He gets home early as it is 4.30pm, and has helped out with the two (over 8)kids I look after (but then they are friends kids so sometiems its easier). They are rumours of changing his 8-4 job to a sort of 12 hour shift. So, he'd work up until 11pm at night, or finish at 7am in the morning. There is also a chance that he won't even get his own job and may take redundancy so will be at home.

SO....I was thinking, he is already Enhanced CRB checked (but listed as Husband) that perhaps he could register as my assistant or something but not sure how you go about doing that.

CAn anyone advise?

flowerpots
23-07-2010, 09:06 AM
my dh is assisstant, he works night shifts too. you just need to phone Ofsted for the form to reg an assisstant. I have recently been granted an increase in numbers too due to the hours he works and the hours he will be able to help. hth :thumbsup:

AliceK
23-07-2010, 10:04 AM
my dh is assisstant, he works night shifts too. you just need to phone Ofsted for the form to reg an assisstant. I have recently been granted an increase in numbers too due to the hours he works and the hours he will be able to help. hth :thumbsup:

I'm sorry to be thick but what exactly can an assistant do that an OH who would be CRB'd anyway wouldn't be able to do. What I mean is how can they make life easier. Am I right in thinking that they can't have sole responsiblity for any children unless they take a paediatric first aid course?
I'm confused :blush:

VINASOL
23-07-2010, 03:25 PM
i was wondering too...would he need to go on the ICP course and take the first aid course too otherwise surely he couldn't look after them?

so confused

AliceK
23-07-2010, 03:36 PM
i was wondering too...would he need to go on the ICP course and take the first aid course too otherwise surely he couldn't look after them?

so confused

I'm glad it's not only me that doesn't understand :blush: . Hopefully someone will be along later who can explain it in simple terms. I have a Friday afternoon headache and can't think straight :(

xxxxxx

rickysmiths
23-07-2010, 03:41 PM
My husband has been registered as my assistant for 6yrs now. Nothey will not need to do ICP. However in order to be left alone with children he must do the same First Aid Course that you do and my husband does Safeguarding Children Training every 3 yrs as well though it doesn't have to be done.

Hope this clarifies.

karensmart4
23-07-2010, 10:42 PM
He will have to complete an EY2 form, thats what our assistant has had to do.
He needs to do a Paediatric First Aid course and as good practice, Safeguarding children course.

Then he will be able to be left alone with the children with parents written permission, do the school runs and cover for you while you eat your lunch and have a well deserved cuppa :clapping:

Stillgoingstrong
23-07-2010, 10:46 PM
He will have to complete an EY2 form, thats what our assistant has had to do.
He needs to do a Paediatric First Aid course and as good practice, Safeguarding children course.

Then he will be able to be left alone with the children with parents written permission, do the school runs and cover for you while you eat your lunch and have a well deserved cuppa :clapping:

He wont need to do the EY2 as he has already done it to be CRB checked

karensmart4
23-07-2010, 11:09 PM
He wont need to do the EY2 as he has already done it to be CRB checked

Easy then :thumbsup: as long as he's willing to go on the next available 1st aid course, around here they cost £96 :eek: Don't forget to inform ofsted and once granted and new reg cert issued, do your permission slips.
Then you can have the occasional lunch break.....I will get one, one of these days :D