PDA

View Full Version : Choice of MM or NCMA

Baileys'n'cream
22-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I have read quite a few of the threads on here regarding both MM and NCMA, and I am swaying towards MM. I have read that their legal advice has been better than NCMA.

My LA will pay for the majority of either policy for the 1st year

I spoke to the member of staff from the LA who ran our meeting today about the differences between MM and NCMA, and she said that one is purple & one is pink....I'm sure there must be more!!

I also asked that if I took insurance with MM, could I still be a member of NCMA? She wasn't too sure but thinks I could, although the membership would be around £80, she thinks, and questioned why I would want to do it?
I have been noticing other childminders out and about, and have seen that many are NCMA members, do you think that it is worth still becoming a member?

I have plenty of time to make a decision but would appreciate any advice or opinions :D

Mookins
22-07-2010, 08:53 PM
i think you can still me a member of NCMA without having them as the insurers...i think they actually use another company as the insurers....mm are an insurance company as far as i can see

a lot of people ive spoken too dont even know about MM because either they have been given a year free when theyve done their course or the course have only told them about NCMA

When i did my course the tutors spoke very highly of NCMA but didnt really saymuch on MM a few ladies were very shcoked when i said i was going to go with MM...x

sarah707
22-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Cheshire give you a choice don't they?

Well.... you can be a member of NCMA without taking their recommended insurance and use Morton Michel for that.

Membership of NCMA is about being part of a charity which lobbies on behalf of childminders across the country.

As far as differences go with the insurance side of things, both have a legal help line, both have magazines, both have a start up box of paperwork, both have discounts... so they are pretty similar really.

Hth :D

EvieT
22-07-2010, 09:04 PM
I have always used MM for insurance and been a member of NCMA too. (for 17 years)

I now use contracts from NCMA and child record forms from MM.

They are both good, but you find out by trial and error what works for you best.

Talk to other local childminders who can show you what they use and you can see before you buy.

Baileys'n'cream
24-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone, great advice :)

miffy
24-07-2010, 06:01 PM
NCMA support all childminders - MM are simply an insurance company (although from what I've read on here their support is excellent if you have a problem).

It is possible to be a member of NCMA and insure with MM but that will cost you more than getting your being a NCMA member with NCMA insurance or just getting MM ibsurance

Miffy xx

The Juggler
01-08-2010, 08:37 PM
i will be renewing my NCMA member ship this year but will be taking out mm insurance as at present I don't feel NCMA offer the level of cover/service i would feel reassured by. I hope in the future they get back on track and see what mm are offering in terms of non-paying clients but at the moment they do not.