PDA

View Full Version : Just what do parents want from a Childminder.

helendee
22-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I seem to be going through a phase of getting lots of enquiries and visits from parents but not hearing any more from them. I don't understand it, I am warm and friendly with them and their los, house is clean if a little small, good references, often straight from the mouths of current parents. They just say thanks for seeing them and that's it. It is really disheartening and I just wonder if anyone has ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?

sarah707
22-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Parents go round lots of different places and have various motives for visiting.

I had a call from a parent the other day who said she must have a bit of a reputation by now because she's seen about 8 minders and for one reason or another they are all wrong.

That's 8 people feeling like you wondering what they've done / not done.

Just keep plugging away the right family are out there :D

TheBTeam
22-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I just think there is nowt so queer as parents! I know say please could they let me know either way, but even that doesnt make all of them ring.

I was about the 30 something minder two of my parents saw:eek: :eek: Still have no idea what made me right, but :eek: it just goes to show that parents often see a lot of people and it is often absolutely nothing wrong with the vast majority of them.

karensmart4
22-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I had Mum and Dad with new baby visit me, they were honest, said they were visiting every single cm and nursery in a 10 mile radius, then making a short list and revisiting these. I work with another cm and we have an assistant so they came to me twice (so they could meet all of us).

Anyway, Mum phoned, said we were on their shortlist and could she come back for a half day visit to see how we worked.

After in total, 4 wks, Mum phoned and said if the space was still available for Sept she would love us to care for her son.

She came in the next day and paid a dep to hold his place and I asked her for feedback. She said that we had a warm and welcoming home, you can see that we enjoy our jobs and the children obviously enjoy being here, but the most important thing was.. her son was a bit grizzly and I asked if I could pick him up (7wks old ahh), she said I looked very comfortable with him and he settled straight away.

I was lucky, if he hadn't grizzled we might not have got him, he's been for his 1st settling in session and he's great, sooo sweet :D

miffy
22-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I think parents have such a lot of choice of different sorts of childcare now - childminders, nurseries, out of school clubs - and they seem to want to look around a lot more settings before they make their minds up.

Be patient, it's unlikely you're doing anything "wrong" - the right family will be out there somewhere!

Miffy xx