PDA

View Full Version : Allergic reaction how/where would you write?

Cakes
21-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi,
One of my mindees(6yr old) had a strange allergic reaction today 10 minutes before mum was due to arrive...one of her eyes went red and had a few hive like spots around it I checked for anything obviously in her eye then made her wash her hands just to make sure she wasn't rubbing any allergens into the eye. By this time mum had arrived and then she administered some anti hystimines. Mum stayed for a while as we both wanted to make sure she was ok before she went home and the eye went down quite quickly after that thank goodness!!!!!

It was a bit of a strange one though,we do have pets(which would be the most obvious allergy) but I have had the child in question since feb and she had also been here since early this morning so strange for her eye to just swell up like that at the end of the day.

Now my worries are :
A: I have not documented this not sure if i have to or what or where to put it?

B: Mum carries an epi pen for HER allergies and that is the first time the child has ever had a reaction. So I am dealing with an unknown on how bad or what mindees allergies are going to be.:panic:

What would you do?????

sarah707
21-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Allergies can pop up at any time!

It may have been something from tea on her hand and she rubbed her eye... was she eating any common culprits like tomatoes, acidic fruit etc?

Or it may have been a plant outside that has just started coming into pollen... there's a lot of rape pollen around just now as well.

Since mum is atopic and has an epipen I think she will probably expect it in her child.

She should now visit the doc and will probably be advised to give you a bottle of Piriton to keep and give child in emergency.

I would write an incident report and get mum to sign it tomorrow. Keep it loose ... you have no idea what caused the reaction but will watch carefully in future... log what food the child ate today and what s/he touched outside as it will help the doc decide whether it's an external / internal reaction.

Hth :D

miffy
21-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Good advice from Sarah

My eyes have been really bad today so must be lots of pollen about atm.

Miffy xx

Mookins
21-07-2010, 09:09 PM
my stepson is alergic to cats and my mother gave him a hug and his face was red and itchy within minutes...she has 3 cats.... but we werent at hers

scary really...hope you find out what it was

xx x

PixiePetal
22-07-2010, 08:20 AM
My mindee with allergies supplies a bottle of piriton and instructions for use - what circumstances and how much etc. signed by parent, just in case.

If I need to give it, it will go in my book to be signed on pick up.

So far not needed in 6 months with me - think I am more careful with foods than parents - dairy, eggs, nuts and may be others. I check ingredients in everything and don't try new things without parent trying first to give me the all clear or otherwise!

Cakes
22-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks so much everyone,

some really good advice there..We had just got back from the park and mindee was just sat chilling on the sofa with the cat waiting for pick up so she hadn't eaten since snack time so about two hours so and sitting with the cat is normally what you will find her doing..no reaction before.
So maybe something outside as we went to a different park than normal and this one is surrounded by fields, not got a clue what they are growing in them this year :panic:
mum text me this morning just to let me know she's ok and swelling went down quickly( just to stop me worrying as i was panic striken when she arrived and mentioned her allergies which incidently is to certain pet hairs :eek: ).
Incident report all written and mum has said she will happily sign when she comes next week.

For next session I will have anti hystimines on stand by with a signed note!

I will also be watching what she touches and eats very carefully from now on and another good reason for me to reinforce to all of the children the hand washing message :)

miffy
22-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Glad everything's OK today! :)

Miffy xx