PDA

View Full Version : Beyond EYFS

coolfm
21-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I'd just like to ask if anyone would be prepared to share their methods of observation/planning etc for children who are over 5. I have established ways of doing this within EYFS, but I'm unsure about what I'm doing for older children. From my experience, Ofsted haven't been to fussed about it, but I am currently keeping a sort of scrapbook (in place of a Learning Journal or similar) and making a note of their current interests etc to inform 'planning' (in place of EYFS observations/next steps type records.) These are not extensive due to the short amount of time they're with me, but helps me to make sure I'm providing appropraite care for them.

Anyone have any tips, or care to share their approach.

Pipsqueak
21-07-2010, 11:36 AM
there is nothing formal for us beyond EYFS but there is nothing stopping you noting memorable occasions and scrapbooking.

there are the playwork principles that you could look at (nothing like EYFS though)

mama2three
21-07-2010, 11:39 AM
i use a mix of individual interests , complementing school planning , and playwork principles.... all mixed in with a bit of taking the littlies needs / plans etc into account!
Thank goodness ofsted dont inspect me on it....

merry
21-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't do anything at all in the way of written plans, records, etc. I have quite a few older ones and with summer hols obviously I have things planned, but it's all in my head, nothing on paper. They take art and crafty stuff home as it's done. For school term time I tend not to organise anything for them, preferring to get them to plan for themselves what they want to do, usually they've got plenty of ideas. Since Ofsted don't require us to do it, then I don't, no point making work for myself :clapping:

:)

beccas
21-07-2010, 12:11 PM
each of my over 5 including over 8's have a scrap book only ones form bakerross/yellowmoon that they decorate the front off and we stick pics in of things we have done or been to , kids love doing it i also let them write in them if they want to about what they have been doing. theyshow them to parents as well i showed them my ofsted inspector at xmas and she thought it was good that i did that it makes the children feel proud.

coolfm
21-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for your responses, everyone. I only have one after school mindee at the moment, but she's been with me for some time and now just finishing Y1. So, last year she was till within EYFS and obviously her needs didn't suddenly change when she finished reception, so I continued to record, but less formally. Interesting to hear other people's approaches. Thanks again.