PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me in Surrey?...

katie0183
01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Is it just me who has absolutely no work regardless of how much i advertise/badger my support officer etc. I just have no idea what to do... i know i know i have to wait, luckily i have another job at the moment so thats ok, however i dont want this to stop me getting any childminding work as i have to give notice. Im in Tadworth in Surrey near Epsom, anyone else nearby finding the childcare drought disappointing?

When i started to register there were apparently many people looking, i just feel very disullutioned that im left out and have no one, maybe its me....

Kate

deeb66
01-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi Kate

Sorry to hear you are struggling to fill your vacancies.

I can assure you that you are not the only one......there are quite a few people who I know who are struggling and it just depends on the area.

I usually find that it happens in fits and starts.

I am sure that it will pick up soon.

I am sure you are but thought I would ask....are you on the CIS list and website?

fionamal
01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Its been the same up here since about November. Its only just starting to pick up now.

Straws
01-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I felt the same as you yet i have two starting with me in two weeks. And i just had a phone call for two children fulltime. I didnt want to take anymore than the two i got so far, want to break myself into it gently LOL. Stick with it and advertise everywhere. Took me from begining of FEB when i first got my certificate, so a good 8 weeks to get up and running.

Straws xx

katie0183
01-04-2008, 02:27 PM
ive been registered since December... and have had 2 people over one which i turned down (long story) and the other one chose a different Childminder

So i am absolty disullusioned, never thought it would take this long..

Straws
01-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Is there a local childminding group you can join, I find that they pass on each others vacancys if they are full themselves thats how i got my last two phone calls, the other was from a shop advert. Check you are listed with CIS
my details are posted out, but still not been added to there website even though i have pestered them LOL.

Straws xx

Noodles
01-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi i am having th same problem where i am although saying that i have had 2 enquiries in a week so mabe things are picking up.
Just hang on in there its worth it in the end:thumbsup:

littletreasures
01-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi, sorry to hear you have not had many enquiries.

I am in Sutton, and I have not had the need to advertise as my mindees have all come by recommendation, which I am really thankful for.

Do you have children of your own. When I first started the little ones were from the school I took mine to.

You could post on Netmums in the East Surrey area, or would you be allowed to put an advert up in the baby clinic or libraries?

Hope you find some soon.

Jules

HilaryT
01-04-2008, 05:21 PM
About a year ago I was really quiet, and had to do some serious marketing.

Have you: got your own business cards (to place in toy shops, etc.)
Printed off A5 fliers advertising your services (for leaflet drop)
Put up adverts at local schools, play groups, nurseries
Asked your health visitors if you can visit one of their baby clinics to meet mums and babies to advertise your services
Asked the local schools if they will put your details on their school websites
got your own website
Also, You want to speak to people you know, and ask them if they know of anyone looking for childcare.

Good luck!
Hilary

Pipsqueak
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
No its not just you Kate - its like that in my area in the North East to. Absolutely dead!

Hoping things will pick up soon for all of us