PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to teacher

Helen Dempster
20-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Hello all

Are any of you giving cards/small gifts to teachers? My son and mindee are both leaving their current school tomorrow and starting at a new one in September, so they won't see their teachers anymore, and I just thought it would be nice if they could make something for them (I know I've left it a bit late, but they don't go til the afternoon, so there's still time - just hope they're both in good moods!) :rolleyes:

Any suggestions ladies (gents)?

AliceK
20-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I did ask DS to make a homemade card for his teacher but he wasn't keen. So I have bought one for her and three others for his TA's plus a bottle of wine each for them. After teaching 30 x 5 / 6yr olds for the past year they will need at least a bottle of wine come Thursday evening.

xxxx

keeks
20-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I usually get a box of chocolates for the teachers, and also for the office ladies as they have helped when dinner money forgotten or when they are ill etc, they really appreciate it. If you've got a Lidl nearby they do really nice chocolate at a very reasonable price. Although they would probably prefer a bottle of wine come to think of it :D

mama2three
21-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I give bulbs / plants ..
I received them from a little leaver when i worked at preschool , with a little note saying to plant them in my garden and think of him whenever the flowers appeared , and I still do several years later...
So now I do the same...

ChocolateChip
21-07-2010, 06:56 AM
With our school it gets very complicated as there are about 8 or 9 regular staff in the FSU, and my older two in KS2 get sessions with different teachers for literacy, numeracy, music and p.e (more like secondary school!) so too many to give individual pressies to!
They have made special cards for the ones they want to though, and a general one for the staff room along with some roses and quality street. The only pressies we have given are for the 2 teachers who are leaving.:(

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
21-07-2010, 07:11 AM
my daughter is leaving nursery to go to school so we gave a card and some flowers, and i did the same for my other daughter as she is changing nurserys.

lou lou
21-07-2010, 07:23 AM
i went to tesco and got a little plant in a cup for my daughter to give her teachers as she leaves her playgroup today

suez
21-07-2010, 07:29 AM
my son is leaving pre school,his key worker is brill,my son has a bond with her,so i got her a mug with special nursery teacher on.

then i felt guilty that i hadnt got anyone else anythin,so as there is 14 staff in total,

i made some fancy fairy cakes ,made our own cake box ....

so feel like imn gonna be teachers pet today :clapping:

FussyElmo
21-07-2010, 03:53 PM
For dd teacher I have brought a plaque with the word "Good morning - let the stress begin" she will tell you she doesnt actually like children but has got to be the BEST teacher dd has ever had.

For ds teacher well nothing because I would be lying if I said I had appreiciated him.

I drew the line at the TA's many years ago has some of the classes could have 3-4 extra members in.

Toothfairy
21-07-2010, 04:06 PM
DD is moving up from the Infants to the Juniors. She is making her Teacher and the TA some Coconut ice. She is putting them into containers and wrapping them in pink & white tissue paper and ribbon.

MissTinkerbell
21-07-2010, 06:24 PM
All 3 of mine have made their presents. DD1 has had the most amazing teacher this year and DD2 and DS are leaving nursery for big school.

We bought some wooden frames from Wilkinsons; jewels and butterflies from Yellow Moon and they decorated the frames. We then searched the internet for some suitable poems which we printed out onto some lovely paper. They each printed a handprint onto the poems and then we framed them.

They all took them into school and nursery yesterday and reduced all 4 teachers to tears at such a lovely thoughtful present.

Carpet Monkeys
21-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Myself and my son made an Exploding Box for his teacher as she's been truely amazing this year ...... in it we included a photo of DS, some teacher related poems and quotes and some 'remember when', so she could remember just how much she helped my son ..... she was reduced to tears, and apparently everytime she sees it sat on her desk she takes a peek and cries again.

For the TA's we've altered a mini clipboard and put it on a keyring chain for their lockers, but it's also tied round a bottle of wine of course!!!!

miss mopple
21-07-2010, 07:54 PM
DD1 is currently painting a wooden trinket box for her teacher :thumbsup:

DD2 leaves nursery tomorrow :( and she has made her keyworker this badge
http://i25.tinypic.com/ta0l6w.jpg

and a lovely card that she has done some of her own writing on :clapping:

The badge is huge and shes going to insist she wears it all afternoon :laughing:

SammyM
21-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm making some good old Apple, Oat & Raisin muffins courtesy of Annabel Karmel, making a plateful and got some lovely celophane bags tied with ribbon for the teachers & TA's to have with a cuppa tomorrow.

Have done a card for teacher & one for the TA, with a 'why I'm glad you're my teacher' book that my son has written and coloured inside - its v sweet!!!

The Juggler
21-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I have never done presents because the min. number of teachers/t.a.'s for my two has been about 5 and with 2 kids even at £5/present that's a fortune.

We make handmade cards or I write a personal card with a message. Sounds tight but £50 every Summer seems a lot to me. Plus, I haven't always felt the need to 'appreciate it'. I did buy for one teacher (not t.a.'s ) once as she had done so much for my ds but I did it because I felt it genuinely not because I felt I had to.

Sorry that probably makes me sound really tight:blush:

FussyElmo
21-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I have never done presents because the min. number of teachers/t.a.'s for my two has been about 5 and with 2 kids even at £5/present that's a fortune.

We make handmade cards or I write a personal card with a message. Sounds tight but £50 every Summer seems a lot to me. Plus, I haven't always felt the need to 'appreciate it'. I did buy for one teacher (not t.a.'s ) once as she had done so much for my ds but I did it because I felt it genuinely not because I felt I had to.

Sorry that probably makes me sound really tight:blush:

Then Im tight too. Dd has been with this teacher for 2 years and this is the first present she has ever got :)

Apparantley one teacher at a school near us gave out a list of suitable presents to buy for her :eek: I know what I would have done with that list :littleangel:

nokidshere
22-07-2010, 06:51 AM
I just give cards saying thank you and how much my child has enjoyed their class etc

PixiePetal
22-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Having been a nursery worker and as a parent I have seen both sides.

When I worked in the nursery it was nice that parent showed appreciation and everyone likes presents :o A card and thoughtful words are enough though and my nicest presents were a handmade pottery dish (parent did this as part time job so very personal) and home 'grown' honey from bees a family kept. Also bits made by kids. Wine and chocs always gratefully received too of course but means more if the family genuinely mean the thanks and just a thank you with a hug from the child would be enough for me.

My own children always gave a mini box of chocs, a card and maybe homemade biscuits/jam.

As for giving out a list of suitable presents - that's plain rude!!

jumpinjen
22-07-2010, 08:15 AM
My mum was an infant school teacher her whole career and the present she was most touched by was from a little boy who came from a disadvantaged background, and would never have had his mum organise a present or card..... he brought my mum a single earring that he had found at home and gave it to her along with all the others giving chocs and flowers and mugs and candles etc. My mum made just as big a deal over it as the others, put it in her ear straight away (a hideaous big red plastic hoop) and wore it all day. that little boy was so thrilled and my mum still has that earring..... it brings a tear to my eyes just thinking about it now!

jenni:)

PixiePetal
22-07-2010, 08:24 AM
My mum was an infant school teacher her whole career and the present she was most touched by was from a little boy who came from a disadvantaged background, and would never have had his mum organise a present or card..... he brought my mum a single earring that he had found at home and gave it to her along with all the others giving chocs and flowers and mugs and candles etc. My mum made just as big a deal over it as the others, put it in her ear straight away (a hideaous big red plastic hoop) and wore it all day. that little boy was so thrilled and my mum still has that earring..... it brings a tear to my eyes just thinking about it now!

That's lovely - I have had a dried pasta necklace before too. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
22-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Then Im tight too. Dd has been with this teacher for 2 years and this is the first present she has ever got :)

Apparantley one teacher at a school near us gave out a list of suitable presents to buy for her :eek: I know what I would have done with that list :littleangel:

:eek: :eek: :eek: cheeky woman. That's the thing you could buy wine for someone who doesn't drink or chocs for someone who is dieting, could be a total waste of money unless you know for sure. As a CM, though I love pressies, a card with a message means so much more to me.:)

The Juggler
22-07-2010, 09:57 AM

that is so lovelyx

jaja
22-07-2010, 10:04 AM
both of my children wrote letters to the teachers, we wanted to be different and watched something on the tv about teachers getting so many mugs and bits and that a letter would eb personal to the teacher, so my dd who started school last sep wrote a letter to ehr teacher which the teacher loved and then one for the teachers assitant both loved them and thought that because she had written them they were very touched by it xxxxxx

It's a small world
22-07-2010, 03:49 PM
My ds is leaving infants tomorrow and starting juniors in Spetember. Same school but seperated.

He's made his teacher a pen holder with a little note holder too attached. He's also made a 'Best teacher' certificate and some chocolate.

Not cost the earth and personal. Going to be a sad day tomorrow...