PDA

View Full Version : Not doing SEF but...

Bouncy_Princess
20-07-2010, 07:50 PM
My inspector phoned me last week & said he would be here either weds, thurs or fri of next week. I had had a flick thru the SEF and told him that Id looked at it but hadn't completed it. He then said "Ok, dont worry too much about completing it but make sure you can show me the ways you assess yourself" :eek:

Im really stuck. So far I have that I assess each planned activity I do, including ways I can make it better for next time. That I do parental feedback forms. And thats it......:blush:

There has GOT to be more but Im just pulling up a complete blank! ARGH!

Is there anyone out there that can help me by giving me a few more pointers as to how I assess my performance?? (I cant believe Im finding it so hard!)

jo f
20-07-2010, 08:17 PM
If you are like me I have changed the way I plan and do obs many times as we pick up pointers on here. It shows we are improving to try and show links to eyfs every child matters and next steps.

Have you been on any recent training courses you could mention? All updating our knowledge, are you part of a network? You regularly reserch the forum for ideas

Have you had to change your home? big equipment used to stand on inappropriatly. Things broke need replacing?

MAWI
20-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Parental questionnaires, Child questionnaires

Chatterbox Childcare
20-07-2010, 08:59 PM
You post is showing pre-reg and if you are still there I cannot see how you can complete a SEF yet.

Calm down, explain how your practice runs and how you will evaluate. Sound confident and assertive and you will be fine

HomefromHome
20-07-2010, 09:10 PM
you're getting a 'he' ????????!!!!!!

sef is not compulsory and as long as you can explain things to him it should be fine - i know minders who have got oustanding without it.:)

Pipsqueak
20-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Have you looked at teh NCMA self reflection tool - I think its in the free downloads tab at teh top of the page and also on the NCMA website.
this is an acceptable way of evaluating and I know a good graded minder who uses this.

Bouncy_Princess
21-07-2010, 07:39 AM
I know it says pre-reg but I am actually registered now, I just can't change it yet!!
Yes, Im getting a 'he'....has anyone ever had a he?? He sounded really nice on the phone but Im not being lulled into a false sense of security! ;)

Thankyou so much for your ideas ladies, its just what I needed, not sure how many ways of assessing myself Im supposed to show him but I'll just try & do as many as I can think of!

mama2three
21-07-2010, 07:53 AM
think of all the ways you have changed / improved since you started...this can be as simple as putting up more displays , putting down extra rugs to make a better environment for the children ...through to self reflection in terms of paperwork etc. you might have noticed some gaps , maybe rhyme time could be better , or mindees communication is delayed , so youre thinking of doing a babysigning course?
I know your not doing the sef but a look through the sef guidance might actually give you a few ideas? or sarahs ebook on the sef..
The ncma tool pip mentions is good too....

Good Luck with your inspection :D

ourmadhouse
21-07-2010, 07:54 AM
I had an ofsted man on my very first visit he was alright, quite nice really.

on my grading visit the ofsted lady said the sef it is not compulsary (sp) but i need to show how I relfect every part of my job, ie the children didnt enjoy dinner what i did next time to improve, did that work, how did i know it worked.
OR the children are bored in the car how did I improve the jurney (walk more, played and sang childrens music while driving, used the shortest routs)
I just wright mine down in my own little diary at the end of the day.

the sef form is so big im a little scared, its one of them things id like to do. but maybe tomorrw :o

Bouncy_Princess
21-07-2010, 08:19 AM
I have had a flick thru the SEF to see if I could pick up any ideas, but like you said I think its just a case of being able to reflect & assess every aspect of my job:huh:

The NCMA one looks like it would be helpful so I think I'll try & complete it as well as having a list of a few other things. If he wants to know more he'll have to ask me & I'll do it verbally.

I hate being put on the spot!:(

piglet1973
29-07-2010, 07:09 PM
never done a sef online ...best i check it out