PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE of babywalkers - they are dangerous!!

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Cannot believe people still use these as there´s soo much evidence against them:

http://www.capt.org.uk/pdfs/factsheet%20baby%20walkers.pdf

http://www.instituteofhomesafety.co.uk/files/downloads/18/Recommendations_regarding_Baby_Walkers.pdf

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/09/45

Food for thought..!

Dare4Distance
20-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Oh yea, we learnt about this on our course. They actually banned baby walkers in Canada! I'd never use one for a child :panic:

Pipsqueak
20-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I do think that babywalkers can have their place - used correctly and sensibly and not for any length of time.
Like anything I think they can be dangerous and damaging out of correct use.

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Well it says even 3/4 of all accidents were with constant parental supervision, they happen so quickly you cannot react as fast..
I don´t think they have a place at all and should be banned.

Hebs
20-07-2010, 07:24 PM
like anything it is not the item, but how people supervise (or dont as the case may be) the little one whilst in the walker.

I used one for both of my kids and they never had any accidents while using one,

FussyElmo
20-07-2010, 07:27 PM
like anything it is not the item, but how people supervise (or dont as the case may be) the little one whilst in the walker.

I used one for both of my kids and they never had any accidents while using one,

Agree had one for all four of mine 2 loved it 2 hated it so didnt use them:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
20-07-2010, 07:27 PM
But like anything - even with constant adult supervision, accidents can and do occur. Its about perspective.
I used a babywalker (and door bouncer) for my two eldest and nary one accident did we have. We used it during supervision and for very short bursts of time - never more than 10 minutes. I preferred that my children could move freely and learn to use their bodies of their own accord.
Babywalkers were the 'in' baby equipment when my nephews were bairns - never had an accident and the research wasn't out then - they were probably in them for quite long periods of time.

Parents often use this type of equipment as an entertainment centre while they get on with other things and although they state parental supervision just what level of supervision was given.

Mouse
20-07-2010, 07:29 PM
All 5 of my children used babywalkers and none of them ever had any accidents. Perhaps we were just very careful and used our common sense :thumbsup:

Hebs
20-07-2010, 07:31 PM
it is no different to having a newly mobile toddler, no hot drinks safety gates on doors to stop falls down steps etc, but i guess some people dont see it as the same thing

with all the required safety equipment and supervision i cant see a problem with them. xx

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 07:35 PM
source: child accident prevention trust factsheet (http://www.capt.org.uk/pdfs/factsheet%20baby%20walkers.pdf)
In 2002, the last year for which data are available, over 2,350 babies were taken to hospital after being injured while in a baby walker, almost 70% of them aged under 1 year.
Research has shown that at least a third of babies using baby walkers will be injured

Some parents believe that a baby walker is a safe place for a child to be left. However, a child in a baby walker needs much greater adult vigilance and supervision than they would if they were not in a baby walker.
Baby walker accidents typically happen very quickly and there may be little that a parents can do to prevent them. An American study has shown that in nearly 70 per cent of baby walker injuries the child was being supervised at the time

I really think there is absolutely no excuse for using them. That is my opinion based on research. As even WITH constant adult supervision there have been accidents. There have been dead children too.

Pipsqueak
20-07-2010, 07:38 PM
In order to establish guidelines for highchair accident prevention we investigated causes, mode and complications of highchair accidents by the following methods: The charts of 103 children attending our Accident & Emergency department for highchair related injuries were studied retrospectively. Questionnaires were sent to the parents to obtain detailed information about the mode of accident. They were also asked to suggest preventive measures. In addition, a random sample survey was performed with 163 families inquiring about the rate of highchair use and the incidence of highchair related accidents. Of the 103 infants, 15.5% had sustained a skull fracture, 13.6% a brain concussion, 2.0% limb fractures and 68.9% a simple contusion of the head or lacerations to the scalp or face. The questionnaires were fully completed by 61.2% of parents. Every second family reported that their infant had tried to stand up in the highchair before falling off (only one child had been wearing a restraint). In a further 14.3% of accidents the highchair tipped over. Eighty-seven percent of parents would appreciate a pre-installation of restraints, 54.0% requested more informative instructions for users, and 33.3% asked for products with better stability. The random sample survey revealed a highchair use rate of 92%; 18% of families used highchairs equipped with restraints, and 6% reported highchair accidents sustained by their children. We conclude that most highchair accidents occur when unrestrained infants try to stand up. Pre-installed child restraints, better manuals for users and increased highchair stability should be recommended as promising accident prevention strategies.
That is an abstract from a report about highchairs and accidents.
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a713793857

Of course Kimmy you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that:) and its down to informed choice but ANYTHING can be dangerous and damaging.

Hebs
20-07-2010, 07:39 PM
they may have been being supervised but were the parents fully aware of what to keep out of their reach? did they realise that their LO's would be able to reach that hot cup of tea or pull that wire to the iron

xx

louise-marie
20-07-2010, 07:41 PM
When i was a baby i went down 2 flights of brick stairs in mine head first.
Very luckly the walker had a big teddy bear head on it so my head kept hitting that instead of the floor.

Stupid mother left the front door open on the appartment :angry:

Pipsqueak
source: child accident prevention trust factsheet (http://www.capt.org.uk/pdfs/factsheet%20baby%20walkers.pdf)

I really think there is absolutely no excuse for using them. That is my opinion based on research. As even WITH constant adult supervision there have been accidents. There have been dead children too.

I am not doubting the facts Kimmy, however for every piece of research it will have been critiqued and alternative research will have been presented. Research (like this) is dependant upon peoples responses therefore making it subjective. The actual researchers were more than likely NOT present at the time of the accident and reliant upon the responses to the qustions being asked.
I would question the 'supervision levels' - are those being questioned being honest about the levels of supervision for instance? did they read the manufactuers guidelines about usage and setup? how 'educated' was the parent.

Hebs
Of course Kimmy you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that:) and its down to informed choice but ANYTHING can be dangerous and damaging.

i agree pip, a girl i went to school with lefther baby in her carseat on a kitchen bench :panic: needless to say she fell off and broke BOTH legs :( this was when she was just 5 months old :(

it wasn't the carseats fault but how we use them xx

Mouse

You have obviously looked into this very thoroughly and chosen a course of action that suits you. I, however, wouldn't hesitate to use one again if the need arose.

Hebs
20-07-2010, 07:42 PM
When i was a baby i went down 2 flights of brick stairs in mine head first.
Very luckly the walker had a big teddy bear head on it so my head kept hitting that instead of the floor.

Stupid mother left the front door open on the appartment :angry:

omg and sorry to hear that but it wasn't the baby walkers fault xxx

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Yes of course everyone should make their own opinion. BUT children have died due to these things and as they are absolutely not necessary for development (they are even detrimental) this could be avoided. there MUST be a reason for that they have been banned in canada.
also the EU is changing the law on them...
These accidents could be avoided!!

Hospital emergency data from both the EU and the US over the last 20 years consistently shows that baby walkers are a hazard, with thousands of infants treated for baby walker accidents every year. Research from Australia indicates that at least one in three children using baby walkers will be injured at some point. Further research from the UK's Child Accident Prevention Trust estimates that more children are injured by baby walkers than by any other nursery product. Baby walker accidents, such as tipping over or falling down stairs, can be very serious, as in most cases they involve injuries to the head

Baby walkers are responsible for thousands of infant injuries every year in the EU. Accidents from baby walking frames are mainly due to falling down stairs or tipping over, especially when children try to move over uneven surfaces such as door thresholds or carpet edges. Injuries resulting from such accidents can be very serious, because in the majority of cases they affect the child’s head.

Data from Portugal shows that 850 children between the ages of 7 and 15 months need emergency treatment due to injuries related to baby walkers[1]. Half of the cases are due to falls down stairs and more than 60% of injuries are to the head.
In the UK, the Child Accident Prevention Trust estimates that baby walkers cause more accidents than any other nursery product, with over 2 350 babies taken to hospital in 2002 following baby walker incidents, almost 70% of them aged less than one year.
A study from "Le Centre Hospitalier" Universitaire de Toulouse between 2003-2006 showed that 178 babies between 7-12 months were admitted for emergency paediatric treatment due to a fall in a baby walker

source:europa.eu (http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/09/45)

Mouse
20-07-2010, 07:45 PM
i agree pip, a girl i went to school with lefther baby in her carseat on a kitchen bench :panic: needless to say she fell off and broke BOTH legs :( this was when she was just 5 months old :(

it wasn't the carseats fault but how we use them xx

Now, that is one thing I really hate to see - people putting carseats on tables etc, with the baby in it. You often see it on TV programmes.

When one of my children was small, there was a case where someone put a baby in the carseat, on a low coffee table. The baby rocked the seat & fell off the table. Tragically the baby died. It stopped me doing it
& after that I have always hated to see carseats on tables etc.

Hebs
20-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes of course everyone should make their own opinion. BUT children have died due to these things and as they are absolutely not necessary for development (they are even detrimental) this could be avoided. there MUST be a reason for that they have been banned in canada.

same could be said for the MMR, some countries have banned it over safety concerns but people here still say it's the best thing for kids :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
20-07-2010, 07:47 PM

As the majority of accidents (true accidents) could be.
Again its about perspective.
It would be interesting to see how they would go about banning them - disseminating the information to everybody.

if you look at the statistics for anything - you can die from the most innocuous things - an accident.

you obviously feel passionately about it but the one thing I have learned in my wise old years and also from training - its about perspective and constructive critique.

HomefromHome
20-07-2010, 07:48 PM
common sense and using the latest models (ie with the latest eu safety marks) is my opinion. i have always used one, for dd and with mindees with no accidents. the only thing i might change on reading this is checking with parents first. mine is so wide it is very hard to tip and has stopper thingys underneath too (for use on short pile carpets/vinyl/hard floor). i also only use in it the downstairs area (never outside) and for about 10-15 minutes - it's lovely to see thier faces for the first time when they view the world from a different perspective. tbh we're out and about more now as are most families so i think they are becoming a thing of the past anyway....
as for the studies - there is nothing to say parents/carers were liberal with the truth when it says they were closely supervised.... sad but true.:o

RachelE
20-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Personally, I wouldnt use one.

I use a - not sure what its called - we call it a playstation - like a walker, but it cannot move! :blush:

But, the reason I choose one of these is for the safety of my ankles, and the other children! I'd hate to be filling a kettle, chopping veg and then be run over at the ankles! Also, its not fair for toddlers to have a baby running them over!

It is about common sense though! If you've risk assessed it and have no others, then they have their place.

People will find their fault with everything! My dd broke her arm last year getting off the trampoline. Everyones reaction was - oooh, they're so dangerous! - she was getting through the net opening and lost her footing. - so no more dangerous than climbing up a slide or a climbing frame! :angry:

Rachel x

Mouse
20-07-2010, 07:50 PM

source:europa.eu (http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/09/45)

My children all walked before they were a year old, so I don't think using a babywalker was detrimental to their development.

Often life experiences are more reliable than research. If you ask the right questions, you can usually get the answers you want.

I would say the problem isn't the babywalkers, but the lack of thought that the adults put in when they're being used.

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I actually know someone who´s child has died due to a babywalker and I absolutely believe her that she has supervised well. This was a walker with new standards. it tipped over and the child fell on it´s head. The parent could not react as fast as the walker tipped over :(

Maybe that is why I feel strongly. But the research is made from hospital data and paediatricians all over the world suggest it is detrimental for a child which isnt able to walk yet to be in a position that MAKES them walk.

Anyway, I am sorry that I even posted this.

Dare4Distance
20-07-2010, 07:56 PM
it is no different to having a newly mobile toddler, no hot drinks safety gates on doors to stop falls down steps etc, but i guess some people dont see it as the same thing

That's actually not true. It's not all about what they can reach, pull on etc. A child in a walker goes at a much higher speed than a newly mobile toddler and so accidents are more likely to happen because they can go at speeds that they can't control. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't use a babywalker or a playstation, ever. In the UK, more accidents and injuries happen in babywalkers than with any other form of baby equipment. Both baby walkers and Playstations can also delay a baby's development and cause damage to the joints because they encourage the child to walk on their tip toes.

Hebs
20-07-2010, 08:02 PM
i was going to get one for my baby mindee but she took her first steps today anyway :laughing:

she hates being down on the floor and loves to be upright,

it is a personal decision i wouldnt think twice about using one again :thumbsup:

crazyhazy
20-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I actually know someone who´s child has died due to a babywalker and I absolutely believe her that she has supervised well. This was a walker with new standards. it tipped over and the child fell on it´s head. The parent could not react as fast as the walker tipped over :(

Maybe that is why I feel strongly. But the research is made from hospital data and paediatricians all over the world suggest it is detrimental for a child which isnt able to walk yet to be in a position that MAKES them walk.

Not sure why you're sorry you posted, it's a forum, you gave your opinion and others in turn gave theirs. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, obviously that means you're going to feel differently to others.

It's like everything though people can research and make their own decisions. I have followed all the guidelines when bringing my two girls up, kept in our room for the first 6 months, breastfed exclusively to 6m, didn't wean until 6m, kept them rear facing in the carseats until they reached the weight limit at 16m and 14m. BUT these were my decisions based on the research I read, I'm pretty sure not everyone here has done exactly as I have but again that's their choice and I'm sure they researched before coming to their decision.

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 08:04 PM
I bet the lady I know (see above) would think twice about ever using one again :mad: better safe than sorry. If you want to use one for your own children, fair enough but to use them for mindees.... well.. :(

HomefromHome
20-07-2010, 08:06 PM
That's actually not true. It's not all about what they can reach, pull on etc. A child in a walker goes at a much higher speed than a newly mobile toddler and so accidents are more likely to happen because they can go at speeds that they can't control. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't use a babywalker or a playstation, ever. In the UK, more accidents and injuries happen in babywalkers than with any other form of baby equipment. Both baby walkers and Playstations can also delay a baby's development and cause damage to the joints because they encourage the child to walk on their tip toes.

i would have to say that if they are used as per instructions this shouldnt happen, just as it staes that children shouldnt be in them for more than 20-25 minutes PER DAY. well thats what is says in my instructions:o

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Not sure why you're sorry you posted, it's a forum, you gave your opinion and others in turn gave theirs. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, obviously that means you're going to feel differently to others.

It's like everything though people can research and make their own decisions. I have followed all the guidelines when bringing my two girls up, kept in our room for the first 6 months, breastfed exclusively to 6m, didn't wean until 6m, kept them rear facing in the carseats until they reached the weight limit at 16m and 14m. BUT these were my decisions based on the research I read, I'm pretty sure not everyone here has done exactly as I have but again that's their choice and I'm sure they researched before coming to their decision.

Thank you :)
Well I know I am thorough with my research, hence why Jamie is in a rearfacing carseat til he´s 4 years old ;) :rolleyes: as it is proven to be safer. In sweden it´s the law to have them rearfacin til 4 years and they have 80% less dead children in accidents.
I just couldnt justify to myself if anything happened and I would have known about it.. but that´s just me..

Pipsqueak
20-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Kimmy don't be sorry that you have posted - its sparked a good debate and what you have posted might give people cause to think.
However, please note that you have posted on a lively forum, giving your opinion and others have given their opinion in turn - as is their right. Its nothing personal so please don't take it that way. I see from a further post you have more personal reasons for being so passionate about this and that is heartbreaking to hear. If you check back in time - Hebs and I have disagreed throughly on the subject of dummies (a subject I am passionate about). Its agree to disagree.
Thats the beauty of this forum - everyones opinions are welcome and respected - however they are not necessarily agreed with. it (normally) all stays pretty tasteful and respectful - not many forums you could say that about!

Yes, I stated back in my first post that babywalkers CAN be damaging - again if used incorrectly. My two eldest walked before they were 1yr old and it appears to have done them no harm. I used it for short periods of time as I state.

You go on to say about using them for mindees - no one has said that they do use them for mindees, I think most of us have been referring to own children. Personally, no I wouldn't use one for mindees - unless the parents expressly wanted me to but that again would be within the realms of how I used it for my own kids.

crazyhazy
20-07-2010, 08:17 PM
duplicate post

crazyhazy
20-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Thank you :)
Well I know I am thorough with my research, hence why Jamie is in a rearfacing carseat til he´s 4 years old ;) :rolleyes: as it is proven to be safer. In sweden it´s the law to have them rearfacin til 4 years and they have 80% less dead children in accidents.
I just couldnt justify to myself if anything happened and I would have known about it.. but that´s just me..

Interesting how you only picked up on one of my comments (have you followed every other guideline too?), I am quite aware of the rear facing website but could not afford to buy another car seat this time round, plus the research also states they're only safer in front on collisions. That and I don;t drive so they're rarely in the car anyway! My point is you done your research, great but everyone else has done theirs too. I'm sure you'll have done things differently to me, but that doesn't make either of us wrong, if we were all the same it would be rather boring.

Interestingly I have never used a baby walker! I was just getting irked by your attitude to anyone who disagreed with you!

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Oh, I didnt wamt to come across with an attitude :( I guess I feel much stronger than anyone else due to knowing a lady whose baby could be still alive :(
Sorry!
sometimes my english doesnt come out the way it should be I certainly agree that everyone should make their own decisions and if people use them it´s of course up to them.

Pipsqueak
20-07-2010, 08:24 PM
this posting has raised some interesting points. what I have learned (from doing the FD) that when doing research or reading it, there will always be an alternative arguement.
i think we can convince ourselves and worry ourselves silly based on research but its about perspective.

These are statistics about children aged 0-4 who were injured by a baby changing mat
The number of accident victims for your chosen circumstances are shown below.

Year Victims
2000 745
2001 928
2002 923

A summary of your query is shown below.

Your query found the following accident victims:

Object or product involved: Baby Changing Mat

Victim's age: 0-4

information taken from CaPT and ROSPA

check this link - gives you stats for all types of injuries
http://www.hassandlass.org.uk/query/index.htm

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Interesting how you only picked up on one of my comments (have you followed every other guideline too?), I am quite aware of the rear facing website but could not afford to buy another car seat this time round, plus the research also states they're only safer in front on collisions. That and I don;t drive so they're rarely in the car anyway! My point is you done your research, great but everyone else has done theirs too. I'm sure you'll have done things differently to me, but that doesn't make either of us wrong, if we were all the same it would be rather boring.

Interestingly I have never used a baby walker! I was just getting irked by your attitude to anyone who disagreed with you!

yes I have..apart from breastfeeding which didnt work out sadly ( and I still regret this today) as my son had severe reflux and stopped breathing several times due to cows milk residues in my breast milk.. I don´t know what I have said wrong to you?:o

crazyhazy
20-07-2010, 08:33 PM
yes I have..apart from breastfeeding which didnt work out sadly ( and I still regret this today) as my son had severe reflux and stopped breathing several times due to cows milk residues in my breast milk.. I don´t know what I have said wrong to you?:o

Ignore me sorry, am in the mood for a debate, was just trying to illustrate how we all make the best decisions for our families although they might not be for everyone.

Actually we seem to be very similar parents, you'd fit in well on the other forum I use :)

Hebs
20-07-2010, 08:34 PM
If you check back in time - Hebs and I have disagreed throughly on the subject of dummies (a subject I am passionate about). Its agree to disagree.

:laughing: :laughing:

and we have had heated debates about it but it is all about individual choice :thumbsup:

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 08:38 PM
:laughing: :laughing:

and we have had heated debates about it but it is all about individual choice :thumbsup:

well I know what not to mention then.... *jokingnow* I weaned Jamie off them at 6 months...:laughing: ):littleangel:

crazyhazy, can you send me a pm with a link to that forum?
Thank you!

HomefromHome
20-07-2010, 08:39 PM
have pm'd you x

Hebs
20-07-2010, 08:42 PM
well I know what not to mention then.... *jokingnow* I weaned Jamie off them at 6 months...:laughing: ):littleangel:

crazyhazy, can you send me a pm with a link to that forum?
Thank you!

:laughing:

i don't mind them, however i am limiting the time my almost 3 year old mindee has hers :thumbsup:

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 08:43 PM
TBH I dont mind them either but it´s easier to wean a 6mth off them than an older child who talks back :laughing: and he never slept with them anyway.

Helen Dempster
20-07-2010, 08:51 PM
I've never liked these and have never used one and never will!

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Just in case anyone is interested:

http://rearfacing.co.uk/

Ripeberry
20-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I've never seen the point of babywalkers, if they need to move they should learn to roll or crawl.
Never used them for my own kids as they reminded me of hamsters in balls and I've had a few of my pets roll down the stairs whilst in them and get up to all kinds of mischief (I used to selotape the spheres shut!)

A baby in a walker was just asking for trouble ;)

Pipsqueak
20-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Just in case anyone is interested:

http://rearfacing.co.uk/

thank you.

i seem to recall we had a big discussion on these seats a while ago, will have to see if the thread can be dug up

Hebs
20-07-2010, 09:05 PM
thank you.

i seem to recall we had a big discussion on these seats a while ago, will have to see if the thread can be dug up

yeah we did, but i couldnt afford to buy loads of them :panic:

coffee-time
20-07-2010, 09:06 PM
it doesnt seem right to have an older child rearfacing where do their feet go as they get bigger? and i wouldnt be able to see what they are getting up to in the rear view mirror!! very interesting reading this thread too!!

Kimmy050983
20-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Hmm Jamie is as tall as a 2.5 year old (94cm and 13kg) at 19 months yet he has plenty of space for his feet? These seats are designed for rearfacing older children. Jamie can see out just as much, he comments on every single car he sees and you can get little mirrors to put on backrest. well he´s used to it anyway he doesnt know any different.

Hebs I wouldnt expect a childminder to buy rearfacing seats but use it for my own child (i dont use the car for minding).

Pipsqueak
20-07-2010, 09:15 PM
found it

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=34822&highlight=rear+facing+carseats

coffee-time
20-07-2010, 09:27 PM
i was thinking more older children my youngest son is 4, i just couldnt imagine him in a rearfacing seat his legs are longer than a 2 yr olds! sorry but this country has gone health and safety mad, and i was trying to be light hearted in my last post so as not to offend anyone, id never even heard of these seats till i read it here.

Pipsqueak
20-07-2010, 09:29 PM
i was thinking more older children my youngest son is 4, i just couldnt imagine him in a rearfacing seat his legs are longer than a 2 yr olds! sorry but this country has gone health and safety mad, and i was trying to be light hearted in my last post so as not to offend anyone, id never even heard of these seats till i read it here.

these rear facing seats can be up to age 12!
I cannot see where my 12yr old would put his legs - he is 5ft 6!

onceinabluemoon
20-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Re original post

My eldest two used walkers and never had an accident with them. Never walked on tip toes and were never held in a position where they were forced to walk. My eldest who, was developmentally delayed due to a severe illness during babyhood, walked at almost 17 months. His younger brother walked at almost 9 months. My youngest four did not use baby walkers, we lived in a different place where it would have been unsafe to use them.

Out of my youngest four, one had broken a leg and one broken an arm as toddlers.

but not in walkers... the leg was from bouncing on,and falling off, the bed and having an older brother landing on him; the arm was from playing football and getting tackled by a much heftier child. It could be said that playing with older children is dangerous and should be banned...

I've been asked to use a door bouncer by a parent and refused as I had visions of an older child swinging the baby to and fro and pinging them off to go flying across the room :eek:

Wouldn't use a walker for a mindee either but that's personal choice.

Dummies - my mindees take them out of their mouths and hand them to me as soon as they walk in the door and don't ask for them again until they go home.

Hebs
20-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I've been asked to use a door bouncer by a parent and refused as I had visions of an older child swinging the baby to and fro and pinging them off to go flying across the room :eek:

That made me chuckle x

crazyhazy
20-07-2010, 09:39 PM

It's funny how you say this country has gone h&s mad, the seats are actually already commonly used in USA and Switzerland etc. Have a look at the rear facing website link which was posted, the seats are much bigger than the stage 0 rear facing ones, which does mean they take up more room etc, but from people I know who have them the children are very comfy, they're much higher up so can still see out windows etc. Yes in a crash their legs may be injured, but broken legs heal, broken necks don't.

LOOPYLISA
20-07-2010, 10:21 PM
My dd had a baby walker, 12 years ago !, loved it :thumbsup:

All down to personal choice x

francinejayne
20-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion - in everything - and with a few exceptions, everyone's opinion should be respected!

My 3 children all used baby walkers - no accidents were had by any of them. My eldest son walked at 12 months, my daughter walked at 8.5 months and my youngest son walked at 16 months. I don't feel the walker delayed any of their development - they were in the walker for short amounts of time and it gave them a different perspective on the world. My house is safe for the use of walkers, and I ensured the risk was minimised as much as possible.

I have used a walker for a mindee on about 5 occasions, for no more than 5 minutes at a time - he used it a lot more at home and mum asked me to use it at my house. I did a very thorough RA and got written permission for it from the parents. Mrs O was aware of this when she inspected me and I still got a good grade. The mindee stopped using it once he started crawling as I no longer saw the need for it as he was able to move about.

Assuming future parents want me to use a walker, and assuming my house set up stays the same and the risks aren't increased I would use a walker again.

And my 2 son's had/have dummies, though my daughter didn't as she didn't like them!!! Like anything, they have their place. In my opinion anyway!!! :thumbsup:

kindredspirits
21-07-2010, 07:02 AM
my son loved his baby walker - it was the only place that ever made him content and it never even attempted to tip - admittedly he wasn't that interested in moving around in it very far he just liked to be higher up. :huh:
now what i can never make out it those baby jumper things that clip over the doorframe!!! :eek: a big heavy metal sprung loaded clip that sits DIRECTLY above a babies head on elastic!!! :panic: I bought one for my son when he was little - set it up - put him in it and took him straight out again - if the metal spring went and the clip fell from the doorframe it would no doubt have killed him outright - an accident that i could forsee and then didn't take the risk. IF I put a child in a baby walker and it looked like the child was zooming out of control or the walker might tip then i'd stop using it - but then again I have logic and common sense - like most people - i think its sad that these deaths have occurred obviously, but it could have been doing anything - interestingly my son who is now 3 is a total daredevil - the other day i found him on the roof of the playhouse :eek: :eek: and yet he managed to break his leg by slipping over on a marble floor - the only serious accident he's ever had.

tinkerbelle
21-07-2010, 07:39 AM
all of my older 3 children have used baby walkers and were all walking before 1 year old it never did them any damage never had any accidents
also my new baby when he's here will also use a walker and a dummy my midwife and hospital as well as pregnancy ooks have stated that using a dummy lowers the risk of cot death due to swallowing reflex being used (something like that )i would never ue a rear facing car seat for over 1 year with my ow children as they are travel sick and as previously said where would their legs go at nine months they are scrunched up

Adiamond
21-07-2010, 08:31 AM

Same here, no accidents with either of mine!!! x

coffee-time
21-07-2010, 08:48 AM
i had a door bouncer for all 3 of mine (the same one too) and it was a godsend! they all loved being in there for about 30 mins at a time, long enough to quickly do a bit of dinner or run the vaccuum round! i never worried that it was dangerous i suppose if they were on sale in mothercare they should be fine and the door frame was strong enough, we checked before we used it. they were always in my view as ive quite an open plan downstairs. like someone else said as long as you use each item as it is intended then it should be fine.

Carol M
21-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Very interesting thread ladies. I was not aware of the rear facing website so thankyou for drawing my attention to it.
I have a baby play ring-leapfrog move and grove thing, and have used for mindees as per instructions and have found the lo's love it with no ill effects noted.
I would personally choose not to use a walker.
Carol x

Chimps Childminding
21-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Haven't used a walker for mindees, but did for my youngest son, he loved it, only accident my ankles!!!

Also had one of those door bouncers for youngest son, he loved that too, had to stop him using it when he got a bit too excitable in it though :D :D

I do use one of those play station things (the ones they play in that don't move) but only for short periods of time and from an age where they can support their weight properly. All the mindees who have used it have enjoyed being upright for a while!

Not sure about the rear facing car seats, can't see how they can be comfortable or quite how easily you can get the children in and out :rolleyes: At 4 most of mine have wanted to climb in and out of their car seats on their own, not sure they could do that with one of these! definately won't be buying them at that price, will just stop using the car :D

Mollymop
21-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I used baby walkers with both my children with no accidents, I think it all depends on how safe your house is to be honest. I know accidents can happen but when my dd and ds were little there wasn't much out there about the dangers of baby walkers. I would think twice about it now though

moljak
21-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Baby walker fan here.Both my kids used one and walked around 10-11mths as have my neices and nephews.Always supervised and used as an activity like anything else.

Mindees mum asked me to use a babywalker but after talking with my DO I decided to use an activity station( one that doesn't move) this is strengthening mindees legs.

marzi
21-07-2010, 06:50 PM
People have different ideas on 'supervision' as well. Sat on the sofa, watching tv in the same room is not the same as sitting beside them giving them 100% attention.

Hebs
21-07-2010, 07:10 PM
People have different ideas on 'supervision' as well. Sat on the sofa, watching tv in the same room is not the same as sitting beside them giving them 100% attention.

:clapping: :clapping: :laughing:

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
21-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Ive never used one but that doesnt mean i wouldnt in the future

However I know of a cm who was serverly told off and down graded on safety by mrs Ofsted for using a walker. Obv mrs Ofsted didnt like them!!!

My local toy library has lots of baby equipment and many parents have asked for baby walkers and they refuse to stock them

Tina Kenyon
12-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I do think that babywalkers can have their place - used correctly and sensibly and not for any length of time.
Like anything I think they can be dangerous and damaging out of correct use.

I agree I have 4 children and all of mine used one and loved them as long as supervised they really keep children entertained especially the ones with all the toys etc on the tray!:clapping: