PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

Manda L
20-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi All,
i took car insurance with Bluefin (were called Motorminder), that advertise in NCMA mag. Seemed quite high, but were told that other companies do not cover Childminders in the same way, so for peace of mind i went with them, even through i only use my car once a week for business use.
This years quote is HUGE..
Have any of you experienced Minders been able to get decent priced Car Insurance with other companies that def cover all aspects of childmiding.
Ta very much. M :)

April05
20-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I phoned them last year for a quote and they quoted me nearly £700, i have re-newed through direct line again this year and only paid £250 ish for my 7 seater thought it was a reasonable price. When i had my last inspection she asked to see my insurance certificate i asked her about car insurance and she said aslong as they know your a childminder and have business use specified that's all you need.

The Juggler
20-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Sheila's Wheels:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
20-07-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm afraid Bluefini try to frighten people into thinking they are the only broker to cover Childminders properly. This is NOT the case. The are lots of others that will cover us and our children perfectly properly.

I have been with Churchill for years (apart from one awful year with Blufin when they actually left me uninsured for a couple of months-long story but I am not the only one they have left in that position. :eek: )they cover me and my husband for Childminding, I pay £20 to insure that if I need a replacement car I get one the size I have or bigger.

I know others on here with lots of other companies who offer perfectly good cover and a lot cheaper than Blufin. I'm sure people will come on and tell you.

carol cameron
20-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I was with Bluefin too but their renewal quote was ridiculous. I got a much better quote from Morton Michel. Worth a try for you.:)

sarah707
20-07-2010, 07:06 PM
As Ricky says, it is not true that other insurance companies do not cover you properly.

They suggest this to frighten people... they also suggest you need a level of cover that you do not need :(

I am with Morton Michel for both a big Jap import and my little Toyota and they are very competitive.

hth :D

Chatterbox Childcare
20-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I am with Churchill who are second to none in my opinion. Shielas Wheels and Direct Line are also the same company

aly
20-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I'mwith swift cover...they are fine.

i will be shoppign around though come october.

AliceK
20-07-2010, 09:10 PM
MM will guarantee you a like for like replacement car if you ever need a courtesy car. In my case I HAVE to have a 7 seater. Their price was also the best price I got :thumbsup:

xxxx

ourmadhouse
20-07-2010, 09:28 PM
insurance for my seven seater with bluefin was. . . . wait for it £1700 and thats with 5 years no claims. the quote was in my oh name as he had the 5 years no claims my name was added too. (hes been driving for 10 years, i have for 3 years) none of us (touch wood) have NEVER EVER been in a road accident Or ever had to put a claim in on our insurance.

I asked for a quote just in my name (try and build my own no claims up) and it was £2300! the insurance was more than what i bought the car for !!!

karensmart4
20-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I have cooperative, I wrote and asked if i'm covered as a childminder as it didn't state it on my cert, they wrote back confirming that I am fully covered for my business and can carry other peoples children in my car. I've put that letter with a copy of my insurance etc in my personnel file.:D

Desi-101
20-07-2010, 11:43 PM
mmm..I'm with Morton M and I paid £70 deposit to get insurance started and £35 a month and drive a very old citroen xantia which I valued it at £500 when doing my application, its going to die soon and have to pay more in to insurance company for replacement so wont, if it does break down so won't be worth it, I feel bit ripped off been driving for over 20 yrs and never claimed ever!!

Desi-101
20-07-2010, 11:47 PM
me again! actually I am so cross I am calling them in the morning and insisting on a reduced fee and if they dont will stop my direct debit! I am sick of being ripped off! I am a mug as I am too soft!

Manda L
21-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Thankyou all,
i have a few companies now to try before Aug... Not paying the Bluefin one.:thumbsup: