PDA

View Full Version : Treasure baskets

Tink
20-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I've got an 8 month old starting with me in September and i'm wanting to put together a Treasure Basket for her as she is really into chewing at the moment. Has anyone got one of these and if so what have you got in yours?
I've looked at a few that are already done but they are really expensive and I think I can do it a lot cheeper, so any ideas would be greatfully appreciated xx

Andrea08
20-07-2010, 04:01 PM
my friend loves making treasure baskets and there is a book...little book of treasure baskets

try different materal and textures, a face cloth and sponge, silk etc
dont make too small or too large..

remember if baby is putting in mouth it needs to be washable and not break off in the mouth etc try to find the book my m8 thinks its gr8 xx

cherry
20-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I found this on Netmums, it might give you some ideas.

http://www.netmums.com/things/Treasure_baskets.1950/

Monkey1
20-07-2010, 06:39 PM
wooden spoons! In wilko they sell wooden spaghetti measure thingy (sorry not a good discription) its basically like a spatular with holes in. i have tied different pieces of ribbon through the holes. My l'o loves it!

littlemiracles
20-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi, we covered these when i was doing my NVQ at college and there are so many different ways of doing them. You could do a basket that only contains natural items such as sponge, wooden items etc. Also remember that an 8 month old wont be able to throw things with much power so some things you may think of as dangerous may actually be ok. I was suprised to learn that a length of chain would be good! Just remember to make sure you are supervising them at a distance as the idea is not to interact with them but allow them to explore on their own ( sorry, you probably already know this :blush: )
A few things i have in mine are a wooden spoon, tennis ball, pastry brush, scrunchy, sponge, feather, pine cone, curtain ring, tassle. Hope this gives you a few ideas :D

cas2805
20-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I have got the brightly plastic washing up things, the mindees love the bright colours, got 3 for £1.

Anyone know where to get the old fashioned clothes pegs from, think they are called dolly pegs?

francinejayne
20-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Anyone know where to get the old fashioned clothes pegs from, think they are called dolly pegs?

They sell these in The Range!

Monkey1
21-07-2010, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I have got the brightly plastic washing up things, the mindees love the bright colours, got 3 for £1.

wilko's sell them

Tink
21-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Wow guys thank you so much for all the excellent ideas, i'll start gathering bits over the next couple of weeks and let you know how I get on:D

sarah32
21-07-2010, 01:39 PM
i have collected lots of lids of jars, they like banging them together and dont cost money, also kept maragerine pots, any pots with lids, they can put them one place to another.

I also have lots of different ribbons, colours and patterns.

Curtain rings are good, the children love them, putting them onto things.

Just put together some bunches of old keys, played with them today and havent put them down.

I do find it takes time to collect things and you are always adding to it over time which the children like as something new to play with.

Have fun:)

AnnieM
21-07-2010, 05:52 PM
There was a thread a while ago about treasure baskets and I said I had keys in mine, someone posted to tell me they were dangerous as most keys contain lead!! I looked it up on the net and it appears to be correct, so I removed them. They were always the first thing little ones went for though so it was a shame, but better safe than sorry. :o

marzi
22-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Dunelm Mill have some lovely rectangular trays with low sides made from natural fibres if that helps at all they start from about 2.99. I bought one to start making a treasure basket last week. And a wooden bath brush for 99p.

Chell
02-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

lulubelle
02-07-2011, 08:40 PM
oh no i have keys in mine and they love them!!!

Toothfairy
03-07-2011, 08:43 AM
In mine I have;

A wooden spoon
A wooden Honey drizzler
A sponge
A flannel
A piece of silk
A piece of velvet
A giant pine cone
A large shell
A large pebble
A loofer
A pumis stone
A small leather purse
A set of keys
A wooden Egg cup
A small metal balloon whisk
A shower/bath scrunchie
A duster sponge (sponge that has elestic over hand, has bobbles on one side and a raised pattern on the other)

I'm still adding to it, if I see something that I think would be good, I buy it to add to the box. I have all my items in a large crdboard box with a lid as I don't have enough storage space to have seperate boxes for each type (wooden, metal etc).

HTH :thumbsup: