PDA

View Full Version : Handful???

Banana
01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Just had an enquiry for 4 children :panic:

Its only for fridays.

Term time will only be 8.15-8.45 (drop at school) for 6, 8 and 9 year old.

holidays will be 8-3 for 12,9,8 and 6 year old.

She also needs me to do this Friday 8-3 for all 4 of them :panic:

Ok - I know I am a childminder and I should know this stuff but on friday I would have the four of them, belle (3) J(2) and baby (10 months)......... my question.........

what the heck would I do with them all???

Thats 7 kids :panic: :panic:

What do you think? Would you do it? Financially its not bad... I wont be able to fit all of them in a car to go anywhere far - i'd have to go on the bus (with 7 of them :( )

What would I do with them? Help - the fact its only 1 day is why im considering it and I suppose it gets me experience with having older ones around too since I only have the under 5's at the mo

Said will call back when i've had a look at how my day is planned out

Advice :)

xxxxx

Spangles
01-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Sorry I can't offer any advice a I would feel the same as you!

Good luck with it though!

angeldelight
01-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Sounds great to me

I have older ones today and they have been really good I would def do it but thats me

They love doing arts and crafts - playing games

If you have them get to know what they are like and go with the flow

My older ones love the 3 year old who is here and have been keeping him busy too

Weather is great again though so we are in the garden which is a bonus

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it

Angel xx

anneriddington
01-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Im pleased I dont work fridays would make my decision a lot easier:)

It is quite short notice for her to want you from this week - has there been a problem you need to know about?

berkschick
01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
When my kids get in from school and in the holidays I have

2 x 13 year old ( I have my neighbours daughter till 5.50pm but she is more like another daughter!)

1 x 10 year old

1 x 7 year old

1 x 19 month old

Then I have the mindees which is at least 2 x 1 year old and on a thurs and fri is 2 x 1 year old and 1 x 3 year old!

It really is ok though!

The 13 year olds are a big help. We got out loads in the hols but on foot and not in the car!

Banana
01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Did wonder that myself!

Does seem very last minute to be looking for a childminder for so many children.

Just not sure about it, the school run only - yes, i'd do in a second as the school is 5 minute walk, but 4 of them could be quite a handful and would worry about them being rowdy etc with the little ones... you know what siblings can be like - thats my big worry

xx

berkschick
01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
You may well find that as they come from a big family, they are very good with the little ones.

My 10 year old is fantastic with babies! He is a real boy though, loves football but knows how to treat little ones too.

You could do it on a months trial?

deeb66
01-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I think you would be ok!

I used to do this sort of thing a few years ago but have cut down now.

As the others have said I think the older ones tend to help out and entertain the little ones more so it probably won't be as hard as it sounds.

It is only for one day aw well and on a Friday so at least you can collapse into your sofa on Saturday if you do have a tough day!

anneriddington
01-04-2008, 01:29 PM
I agree definitely have a trial period, I have seen the other side of siblings one of my mindees has 4 siblings and when they come to collect her they are like a whirlwind, I try to make sure she is ready to go otherwise they take over my house. My son on the other hand (12) loves having the little ones around. Perhapd you have to give it a go. We know they are all different.:)

Twinkles
01-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I would say go for it. In the hols it would be restricting but it's not as if it's every day.
The older ones are easier - I think. They will play games, watch tv ( if allowed ) and do craft , as well as just playing in the garden.

Rubybubbles
01-04-2008, 01:47 PM
first things first

If you do take them on sit them all down for house rules;) I always use to do this when I had older children come in!!

I loved my older children and often found they played with the younger ones by choice (and they get to play with the baby stuff, which it's not just me they do like them??)

good luck in what you descide

Tatia
01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
I regularly have 7, sometimes 9, children after school. It is not as chaotic as it seems, really. The older ones are very helpful usually and we spend lots of time in the garden! Hama beads seem to be a favourite with older children as well as modelling clay, arts n crafts and Playstation.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
01-04-2008, 02:49 PM
You can always do it on a triall period to see how you all get on, that is what I tend to do now.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Lorraine xx

manjay
01-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I would certainly do this one and as I charge a minimum of 2 hours each I would be quids in! I have 8 or 9 on a Friday and it is fine. It is nice when the little ones have gone and we can play games or do craft

amanda xx

flora
01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
As said, I would go for it, but with a def trial in the contract so that should you hate it you can stop at the end of the trial.

I have 1x 23months, 1x 2.5yrs, 2x 6yrs, 1x9 1x10.5yrs.

The big ones keep the little ones happy and play with allsorts to keep them happy.

The garden is very popular, footie, the trampoline and if it's too cold the Wii.

Give it a go, if you like the family then it could work ok.

Good luck

Banana
01-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Well I have reached a compromise.

I dont want to do the all day in the holidays. If it had been 2 kids I would have considered it but its just 4 is so many anb TBH i dont think I have enough room for that many children to be all over the place downstairs. Our garden isnt huge (its ok for the toddlers playing in on the slide etc) but it just wouldnt be practical.

However. After telling mum this she said she understood etc but would I consider the school run, i said to call me later if she couldnt find anyone who could do both and if that was the case then I will gladly do the school run.

So thats what im doing. She called back about an hour later, Shes coming round on the 16th to sign contracts for the 9,8 and 6 year old. The other childminder couldnt do the school run so it worked quite well - Ordinarily I'd have thought great!! Good money for that, but its not practical. When we move and get a bigger garden I dont think it would be a problem, just being sensible I think.

Thanks for the advice - and at least I can get to know the kids this way and in emergencys I could always help on occassion

xx

angeldelight
01-04-2008, 07:33 PM
That is good news Lana

Well done

Angel xx

crazybones
01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
:D Good news. Glad youve got it worked out.

berkschick
01-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Congrats on getting some new mindees.

Im glad it worked out for you in the end.

miffy
01-04-2008, 07:54 PM
That's good - congratulations on reaching a compromise that works for you

Good luck with it

miffy xx

emler
01-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Just catching up on this Lana - glad you sorted something out which should suit everyone. Good luck

Emler x

Michelle M
01-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Glad you have sorted it out :)

Cammie Doodle
01-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Well done sounds like everyone happy :thumbsup: