PDA

View Full Version : should i charge a retainer?

coffee-time
19-07-2010, 10:09 PM
ive hardly had any enquiries since i became registered in april then today i got 2!! i can only do thurs and fri at the mo as i still have another job that i cant afford to give up yet, anyway both the enquiries are:
1. 10 month old girl one week thurs and fri, then one week just fri alternately
2. 2 yr old every other thurs and fri
my question is should i be charging for the days im not having them every other week if so how much?
i really worry about not seeming fair when charging retainers but a couple of friends who are childminders said i should charge as i may have to turn down work in the future. just wanted to get your opinions really!!
thanks. hope it makes sense!

funfunfun
19-07-2010, 10:51 PM
id charge for both days for both regardless of weather they use them or not .

You wouldnt be able to take on another child anyway .

goodluck

karensmart4
19-07-2010, 11:03 PM
I've got a new (very new) little one starting at the end of Aug, her Mum is going back to work for 3 days a wk, Dad works shifts so will sometimes be home, I told them that I will have to charge for 3 days whether they are used of not as I have to keep them available.
In my opinion same goes for you, you can't get someone to fill that space every other wk, so its lost income if you dont charge.
Good luck whatever you decide :)

doodles
20-07-2010, 09:10 AM
id charge for both days for both regardless of weather they use them or not .

You wouldnt be able to take on another child anyway .

goodluck

Me too, thats what i do with mine. You wont fill the space so they would need to pay for it each week.

misst104
20-07-2010, 09:15 AM
same here! I would be charging for both days regardless of whether they use tmen that week or not.:)

x jo

Dare4Distance
20-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Yep, charge for both days. They are paying you for the space, not for attendance. They need you to have Thursday and Friday clear for them so they need to pay for both days. :)