PDA

View Full Version : advice!

littlesprogs
01-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking of starting working in september which gives me a few months to get used to motherhood. But when would you start advertising for kids to start in september? will parents be already thinking about this now or should i wait abit? I dont want to advertise too soon and september seems so far away at the moment.

what would you all do?

I dont have my new certificate yet from when i moved house so havent contacted cis yet or anything. There are quite a few childminders in the area but my sister in law was registered just before christmas and she is already full so i dont think i'll have many problems filling spaces. Also are parents going to be put off by me being a new mother with a 2 month old to look after esp as i'm only 20?

Rubybubbles
01-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't see why not to start advertising now

I def can't see people being put off either, spec in the RAF camp as lots of mums are young mums

xx

Pauline
01-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I would start now, you can always turn away any that want to start before Sept.

I don't think parents will be put off y your baby, it shows experience for you and a playmate, eventually for their children! :)

Banana
01-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Start advertising!

I've just got off teh phone with someone enquring about care starting the middle of september.... organised parents will want to look around a lot and see what options are available, no harm in turning enquries down!

x

berkschick
01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I have had calls about September already!

And the baby I took on yesterday will be starting properly in September 1st although he will do one day a week from June too.

Go for it!

littlesprogs
01-04-2008, 01:15 PM
well after reading your replies i went to look for my cd rom that has all my paperwork on and can you believe it it has only gone a grown legs and disapeared! Thankfully i still have my old laptop and have managed to drag it all of there and transferred it all to my new laptop!

So now i can change my details on my paperwork and business cards etc.

Best get on the phone to my brother in law and tell him to get a move on with my website lol bless him!

If i do get enquiries should i charge a retainer or a deposit to hold the place for them since i am on maternity leave? I think a deposit would be better but just after other opinions.

berkschick
01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I have taken a £100 deposit from the Mum who came yesterday.

I dont charge retainers.

Im not sure you can charge a retainer if you are unable to work anyway, not sure though.

Rubybubbles
01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
deposit as you are unable to work, I charge retainers if I have a space and need to hold it open for them

deeb66
01-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Yes I would definately start advertising now.

As the others have said some parents are alredy looking that far ahead as I have also received calls.

There may even be a parent out there who's child is due to start school in September but their exisitng childminder cannot help or if the child comes from daycare.

You may find yourself fully booked before you even get near the time!

littlesprogs
01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Yea i guess i just didnt realise how far in advance parents start thinking about these things.

I'll probably get most of my business from my sister in law and her friend because her friend is a well known childminder in the area and is always full so she passes them onto my sister in law who is also now full and she'll pass them onto me so i guess i should go and tell her i'll be starting work in september.
Next time i go to see the midwife i will ask if i can put a poster up in the waiting area too.

Lou
01-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Yes i would advertise now as i have had enquiries about sept.

Take a deposit if you find someone and take it off their first months fees, but make it clear to them that if they change their minds the deposit is non refundable.

Good luckxxxx

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Start advertising now I have had a couple of phone calls already for September so it is not too early at all.

Good luck

Lorraine xx

wendywu
01-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Ive just taken one on for November and an after schooler for September:laughing: So start now.