PDA

View Full Version : Should I stick with my 48hr sickness policy?

mrs robbie williams
19-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi mindee's mum rang this morning to say mindee (3) had been sick this morning so wouldnt be coming today. I said ok thanks for letting me know, if she's better i'll see her on Weds (48hr). She txt about an hour ago and said she thinks lo drank a bottle of milk she found this morn that had gone off which had made her sick !! so she's fine to come back tomoro. As im new to this I want to start out as I mean to carry on so should i stick to the 48hr even though mum says its not a bug? xxx

sfox2003
19-07-2010, 11:31 AM
This is a tough one. You have a policy, no point having it if your not going to use it. But saying that, Im with you - its very hard to say no.

Id be tempted to say ok she can come back, but I have done in the past and been stung, ended up closing for the best part of a week happened twice in first 2 months of minding!

Im no good to you at all am I? sorry, hopefully someone will be along with some useful advice.

AliceK
19-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I would probably give her the benefit of the doubt this time and as long as LO is not sick again today then I'd have her back tomorrow but if she shows signs of sickness tomorrow I would send her straight home and then it's another 48hrs. Make this clear to mum.

xxxxx

sandy64
19-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I would probably give her the benefit of the doubt this time and as long as LO is not sick again today then I'd have her back tomorrow but if she shows signs of sickness tomorrow I would send her straight home and then it's another 48hrs. Make this clear to mum.

xxxxx

hi difficult one maybe have another chat with mum tonight to make sure lo not been sick again, i agree with alice :)

mrs robbie williams
19-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks ladies :) have just text her and said i will have her on this occasion but if she shows signs of sickness she will need to go home and it will be 48hr from then. These parents do try n push their luck lol xx

mrs robbie williams
20-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Well it was a bug lo has full blown d & s so havent got her today but dad dropped older sister (5) and said she says she has tummy ache but think she's ok :panic: xx then went straight upstairs and sat on the loo for ages crying saying she has tummy ache !! so have text mum to ask her to ring me but she hasnt :angry: so i'll have to take her to school poor thing. As lo had runny tummy this morn (dad told me) is that another 48hrs from today i dont have her? xx

heatherw
20-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I would say 48 hours from whenever the last bout of s and d is. So if there are no more today, lo can come back on thursday.

sandy64
20-07-2010, 07:20 AM
yep its 48hrs after very last sickness/diarhea. i hope you get lo mum soon or she may pass to all your family.:panic: and thats not good

judisteve
20-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Recently done pre-reg course and were told at least 24 hours from when symptoms have cleared and best practise is now 48 hours. From the last bout, not from the first incident. So, LO could still be ill tonight but fine tomorrow AM - it's then at least 24 hours from tomorrow AM not from this morning when it first started!!
Sounds harsh, especially when we know parents want to get back to work but if they send poorly LO and then illness spreads you'll likely have to close and they will be no better off!!!!
Think I would leave it a bit open ended and say keep me informed and let me know when LO is completely better and we'll make plans from there.
Hope the older one is ok today.

blue bear
20-07-2010, 08:10 AM
I rang NHS direct when Child had been sick in the night, mum said was from coughing and wanted to send Lo to me.

NHS said did not matter why sick as germs are brought up from tummy and hang around for up to 48 hours and can cause illness in others.

LO went on to have full blown D & V so glad I said no, am really strict about 48 hour rule now.

sfox2003
20-07-2010, 11:22 AM
OH NO!! :(

I sympathise. This is what I tried to say in my first post. I was stung by this twice in my first couple of months minding. It passed onto my kids/me & I had to close.

I am now very strict with any illness & ensure the rules are followed. This is my home after all. Not only that though, from the parents persepective sending them could pass it to others & then just as their child gets rid of it you have to close because your family have it.

I suppose if you close though they dont pay you. Im always very suspicious of peoples motives when it comes to things like this.

Get rid, send them home, they are no good with you its not fair on the child. And play it by ear so you get the whole truth about when the last incident is. Tell them she will need to stay off tomo definatley & maybe text later/morning & ask how she is. I would def stick to the 48 rule though.

Good Luck

PS - Get your dettol sprays out & anti bacs. Im always using them a parent collected full of a cold yesterday. Once he had gone I sprayed everywhere he had touched ie door handles & peg :blush: . hee hee I dont take any chances now.

eddie
20-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I rang NHS direct when Child had been sick in the night, mum said was from coughing and wanted to send Lo to me.

NHS said did not matter why sick as germs are brought up from tummy and hang around for up to 48 hours and can cause illness in others.

LO went on to have full blown D & V so glad I said no, am really strict about 48 hour rule now.

I did not know this so thanks for the info!

It's so hard because I have been a working parent prior to minding and you feel for the parents but at the end of the day if my kids were ill I would want them with me and they usually want mum when they feel bad. Also as someone said if the illness spreads and you end up not being able to mind then you lose out financially and the parents still have to take time off work.

I try to be strict but it's a tough one.