PDA

View Full Version : Chicken pox....again!!

Ripeberry
19-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Last night my 8yr old daughter was complaining of feeling ill and she had a runny bottom, then in the night she woke crying saying that she could not get to sleep and it looked like she had lots of bites all over her back, behind her ears and they were classic chicken pox blisters.

So of course no school today and I don't have mindees either. This is the second time that she has had it, first had it when she was 4yrs old but then it was only a few spots.

I've e-mailed the mindees parents and one said that they will come along as normal as both their kids had it already and the other I'm still waiting to hear from.
I've got a feeling that she will want me to have him anyway as he's not had chicken pox before, but I'm more worried about his new baby brother (only 1 week old), won't it be dangerous for tiny babies?? :(

sweets
19-07-2010, 08:07 AM
oh no your poor DD. i remember having twice as a child, if they dont get a dose first time then its likely to come back again.

i wouldnt worry too much about the 1 week old as from what ive been led to believe is that babies up to 6 wks old are unlikely to catch it, not sure why but im sure i was told that once.

Tribe_mummy
19-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Just had a look on the nhs website and it says that it can be more serious for newborns. Hope your daughter is better soon xx

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chickenpox/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Ripeberry
19-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the link Tribe mummy! Going to be a day of watching DVDs methinks :rolleyes: At least I can get on with some paperwork...lucky me ;)

Tribe_mummy
19-07-2010, 08:30 AM
No worries - enjoy your paperwork ;) I will be joining you with that shortly lol x

LOOPYLISA
19-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Oh bless her, i had cp age 15 :eek: was awful :panic:

My dd had it but not that many spots so im just crosing my fingers she doesnt get it again :panic:

Joannechildmind
19-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Oh bless her, i had cp age 15 :eek: was awful :panic:

My dd had it but not that many spots so im just crosing my fingers she doesnt get it again :panic:

me too although i was 18 :eek: i agree it is horrible the older you get it.

I literally wanted the ground to open up and eat me. :blush:

Rubybubbles
19-07-2010, 10:42 AM
TBH I wouldn't work if my children come out with CP!

Your dd needs you to herself for lots of cuddles, I exclude CP and would expect the same if my own children were ill.

My 2 are 8 and 5 still not had cp:rolleyes:

LOOPYLISA
19-07-2010, 12:14 PM
me too although i was 18 :eek: i agree it is horrible the older you get it.

I literally wanted the ground to open up and eat me. :blush:

I had cp in places i shouldnt have got cp :eek: :panic:

ourmadhouse
19-07-2010, 12:16 PM
nearly all children get it but im so scared when my 4 year old does he's already covered in eczema. :(
I know its best to get it when your young as its not too bad but a double itch for the poor love will mean no sleep at all for him :panic:

Baileys'n'cream
19-07-2010, 01:03 PM
i wouldnt worry too much about the 1 week old as from what ive been led to believe is that babies up to 6 wks old are unlikely to catch it, not sure why but im sure i was told that once.

Supposedly, if the mother is exclusively breastfeeding (no formula) and she has had chicken pox then the baby should have her immunity.....although after being told this, when my daughter was 2 and got chicken pox and I was breastfeeding my 8 week old son, he still got them, the doctor was stumped :eek: Don't think he believed that I wasn't topping him up with formula, which I wasn't :angry:

He was totally fine with them though, and they healed really quickly as he didn't have the co-ordination to itch, so even if the little baby does get them, which won't be for approx 4 weeks, they will probably be fine :)

ourmadhouse
19-07-2010, 05:29 PM
i can remember when my little brother had them at 6 weeks old (not one part was clear skin even his little boy bits!) fully breastfed and a good 10lb born too (he never seemed to leave my poor mother alone, a hungry little monster!)
she said to the doctors i thought he couldnt get them because he's breastfed they say if you never breastfed him he would have it much worse :rolleyes: breastfeeding is best but it does make me laugh of how much health care prof push it as a cure for alsorts.
'helps' prevents ear infections, oral thrush, tummy upsets asthma, ha ! and eczema :panic: