PDA

View Full Version : Overnight care

Cazz
17-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Just wondering really - is there a cut off time when you would have to be registered for overnight care or is overnight care classed as literally putting them to bed?

I'm not registered for overnight care and am going to be minding a little girl until no later than 9.30pm on alternate Tuesdays - I'm assuming I'm allowed to do this?

Also, is it a condition of overnight care that you have to have a bedroom just for the mindee?

I was thinking of possibly registering for overnight care in case of emergencies etc. My 2 year old dd has gone into a proper bed but her cot is still up in her bedroom - which is what I use during the day for naps but she's not in there at the time. Don't know if this is allowed for overnight care though?

Mookins
17-07-2010, 08:59 PM
hi hun, im allowed overnight care for 1 and ive got either a travel cot or a sofa bed for older ones

they will be in my dd bedroom she said didnt have to have a spare room...she did mention that sex and age wise if its an older boy or girl to bring my dd in with us just to be on safe side and privacy for them

xxx:)

Cazz
18-07-2010, 12:54 PM
hi hun, im allowed overnight care for 1 and ive got either a travel cot or a sofa bed for older ones

they will be in my dd bedroom she said didnt have to have a spare room...she did mention that sex and age wise if its an older boy or girl to bring my dd in with us just to be on safe side and privacy for them

xxx:)

Thanks Jen,

That's interesting to know - I wouldn't want to do overnight care on a regular basis as my dd is sometimes restless at night but I've got a proper cot in there so I could think about registering for emergency situations and if a bed was needed Megan could go in with Sophie for the odd night.

I assume I should be okay to just do regular minding until 9.30pm then?

JulieR
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks Jen,

That's interesting to know - I wouldn't want to do overnight care on a regular basis as my dd is sometimes restless at night but I've got a proper cot in there so I could think about registering for emergency situations and if a bed was needed Megan could go in with Sophie for the odd night.

I assume I should be okay to just do regular minding until 9.30pm then?

My understanding on overnight care is that it relates to care when you are asleep and hence you have to have additional safety measures in place to minimise any risks. Given that you are still going to be wide awake throughout the childminding (even if the mindee might nap -- in your approved areas only) it shouldn't count as overnight care.

If you are at all unsure call Ofsted, but you will note that there is no specific "time" mentioned on the Ofsted certificate that defines hours that are overnight etc.

Hope this helps,
Julie

allison
13-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi, my understanding of overnight care was anything worked between 10pm and 6am is classed as overnight care. so working till 9.30pm is ok as its before 10pm.
Allison

mushpea
13-07-2011, 08:44 PM
not sure if this is true or not but someone told me you need linked fire alarms for overnight care, as in linked together not linked to the fire station,,this is what has put me off doing overnight care cause i wouldnt know how to link them!

JulieR
15-07-2011, 10:42 PM
not sure if this is true or not but someone told me you need linked fire alarms for overnight care, as in linked together not linked to the fire station,,this is what has put me off doing overnight care cause i wouldnt know how to link them!

I recently had a loft conversion so this was part of the building regulations for 3 storey houses (amongst other annoying stuff!).

Basically there are two ways that you can link fire alarms. The first way is to physically power the alarms via the same wiring circuit. This involves connecting all fire alarms to your fuse board. Depending on where everything is located in your house this could get messy. The second way is slightly more expensive and involves getting wireless smoke alarms. I believe that they cost less than £100 per alarm, but do not involve destroying your ceilings to link them up! Ask an electrician to quote you and he can always survey to see if the first option is viable without making a mess.

Hth,
Julie

mama2three
16-07-2011, 07:08 AM

Its not needed by Ofsted , I have only a smoke alarm on each level , not linked. Maybe your own LA has its own restrictions though?

jumpinjen
16-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Hi,

I do overnight care.

you need to show that you can keep the child safe overnight so a separate risk assessment showing what you have put in place to ensure this.... double check of doors and windows, fire exitsw at night, emergency contacts/procedures at night, how the child will get you if they need you..... monitor/your door slightly open etc..... night light in hall for older children to see their way to bathroom etc etc. How you would get parents suring the night if you needed them.... and a record form specifically for night time needs/routines e.g. nightmares, bedwetting, sleepwalking etc.

I wasn't told to have a separate smoke alarm system or different rooms.... the littel girl I have overnight I've had from 4 months old and she loves to share with my daughters.... on a single mattress pulled out from under one of the beds and made up.

Jen x

Twinkle-Toes
16-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Well I had my registration visit a week ago and I have also registered for overnight.

I wasn't told anything about different smoke alarms or a separate risk assessment!

She did stress that the child would need their OWN room so I'd have to move my daughters in together (not a problem) She even went on to say that if I was looking after a small baby and the parents requested they were kept in my room I'd be on dodgy ground and to really try and get the parents to agree to them being separate?!

Hrmm....bit of a minefield with such differing answers!