PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Price??

Carpet Monkeys
17-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Just had a woman on the phone frantically trying to find full time care for a 4mth old and a 2 yr old, starting this Tuesday! Would suit me down to the ground and I have the spaces!

My usual rates are 4ph for each child, so I told her this, and then she asked if I would discount for siblings and it being full time, so I said I would still charge 4ph for the younger one and 3ph for older one, so charging her a total of 7ph rather than 8ph .... am I being reasonable of should I reduce it even more?

Pipsqueak
17-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Blimey MORE than reasonable I would have only dropped 50p! I would just say make sure you are covering all your bases - food, outings etc.
Go for it:thumbsup:

caz3007
17-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I have only discounted by 50p if I have done it. I do hope you get them as it would be brilliant for you. Good luck

Carpet Monkeys
17-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I did try to reduce it be 50p ph but she asked if I would reduce it anymore - definately won't go any lower then! This would so be answer to all my prayers recently ... only thing is I'll have to nip out tomorrow and get a double buggy as it's such short notice!

beccas
17-07-2010, 02:23 PM
thats enough surley she getting help for it dont worry breathe and good luck ..

The Juggler
17-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't have offered any hourly discount for under 5's so she's getting a good deal. I usually work out weekly monthly amount then might round it down slightly.

misst104
17-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I agree. More than reasonable. i wouldn't go down from that at all. I don't offer any discount for siblings (hasn't caused a problem as yet!)

Hope she signs up!

x jo

mushpea
17-07-2010, 03:04 PM
So which child is less work, or of less value to her or which one will you stick in the cupboard for a couple of hours per day, or which one aren't you going to treat as an individual
I think its a blooming cheek to ask for a discount for a sibbling,, they are as much work as any other child,, and if you had 3 parents would you give one of them a discount cause all 3 attend on the same day?
sorry but we are expected to treat each child as an individual and the price should reflect that.

AliceK
17-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree. More than reasonable. i wouldn't go down from that at all. I don't offer any discount for siblings (hasn't caused a problem as yet!)

Hope she signs up!

x jo

Me neither. I was asked and said No and explained my reasons. Parent still signed up :thumbsup:

Hope she gets back to you quick then.

xxxxx

miffy
17-07-2010, 05:19 PM
I always get a bad feeling when people start to quibble prices like that - don't forget she will be getting help with her childcare and if she's not then she should be able to afford to pay you!

I think the discount you've offered is a good one so hope she doesn't try and beat you down any more.

Good luck and let us know if you get the work

Mifyf xx

Carpet Monkeys
17-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Not heard back from her yet? If she's that desperate thought she would've called back?!? Another timewaster I think? Shall give her till tomorrow afternoon, if she doesn't call, do you think I'd be best off to leave it and not call her?

**edit ** She has just sent me a text to say that the price is too high as there are two children and looking to see if there is another option .... good luck to them I say at such short notice!!!

misst104
17-07-2010, 08:58 PM
her loss I reckon!!!!!

xjo

Tealady
18-07-2010, 12:48 AM
**edit ** She has just sent me a text to say that the price is too high as there are two children and looking to see if there is another option .... good luck to them I say at such short notice!!![/QUOTE]

I'd say you've had a narrow escape there. That would probably been the first of many requests

carol cameron
18-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Totally agree with the other replies. If she is quibbling about the cost (and I understand we all work to suit our budgets) it is not a good sign. I don't do any discounts and I have twins to mind. Most of my parents get help from tax credits I think and if families don't then it's because they are earning a decent income anyway. Hope someone else comes along soon for you.:)

Millenium
18-07-2010, 02:59 PM
I do not see any justification whatsoever for sibling rates - I have never offered them and have never been asked! It is not cheaper or easier to care for two children from the same family - you still have two sets of paperwork, two learning journals etc.

Also with siblings, I put in an eight week notice period because if they leave me, I am saying goodbye to two lots of income at once.

Rubybubbles
18-07-2010, 03:44 PM
:(

My normal rate is £4 an hour, but I have 2 brothers under 5 full time and dropped to £3.50 each per hour! I don't see a problem with this at all!!!

But sounds like it didn't work out anyway:rolleyes:

karensmart4
18-07-2010, 06:27 PM
I must admit I usually give a reduction of 50p for siblings, I always tell myself that I shouldn't then I open my mouth and do it....stupid..stupid ...stupid me :blush:

Chimps Childminding
18-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Sorry it didnt work out for you, hope something comes along soon!!!

I may offer a discount of 50p if both children were full time, but not if one was full time and one was at schoo/nurseryl then they would be charged full rate!

crazyhazy
18-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Shame it didn;t work out, maybe once she's called around she'll realise that your rate is reasonable though!

I don't see the harm with parents asking for sibling discounts, you can always say no! I always ask for discounts everywhere, mostly you don;t get one but sometimes it;s a nice surprise :)

miffy
18-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Sorry it didn't work out, hope something else comes up soon

Miffy xx