PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be too hard!

BlondeMoment
16-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Hi Minders. I'm just wondering if any of you have had this problem.

I mind an 8 year old who attends school. We do a school run in the morning, and one in the afternoon. It's an hour's round trip as I don't have use of a car.

The four year old I mind is about to start the same school in September. But I've just found out, only part time to start with. Which means three trips to that school a day! It's uphill and I have to take a double buggy.

To start with I'll have to go once from 8.30 - 9.30, then again 11.30-12.20, then again 2.30 -3.30. Then after a month or so his day extends so he stays for lunch. So the afternoon trips will be 12.30-1.30, then 2.30 -3.30. It's hardly worth coming home! I'm going to have no time to do anything with the other children and I'm going to be absolutely exhausted! :panic: :(

TheBTeam
16-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Does the parent/have a friend who could drive and work nearish, that they can pop out and do the journey to bring the child to you for the settling in days?

The Juggler
16-07-2010, 12:56 PM
our school have wraparound nursery service which is open to reception children doing these induction hours.

Does mindees school have such a service?

It's a nightmare, I did this last year and totally messed up routines, nap times and like you say wasn't worth coming home between pick up for reception then normal school finish.

BlondeMoment
17-07-2010, 10:53 AM
No it doesn't :(

Really don't know how I'm going to manage. Need to find out how long this will all be going on for. I really don't want to lose this parent as I have their two boys and they are the biggest payers on my books. :panic:

BlondeMoment
17-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Does the parent/have a friend who could drive and work nearish, that they can pop out and do the journey to bring the child to you for the settling in days?

I know they have a friend who's son is also starting those days. I'd feel a bit cheekey for asking tho.

The Juggler
17-07-2010, 01:44 PM
do you have him every day. You will manage hon, it seems awful. I walk the school run too and it's only just short of an hour round trip for me too.

One year I did a nursery pick up as well as the early reception drop/off pick ups. It'll pass really quickly.

Weather is usually good in Sept so plan picnics and lots of trips to a park near the school. Or do you have a fellow CM who lives nearby - you could arrange a few visits with her during induction and then return the favour once the mindee's settled in full-time.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Ask around and see if any of the other children starting have a childminder. The school may be able to help you with this as they should keep contact details.

It will be hard - isn there any group you can go to between the first drop of and next collection rather than going home?

miffy
17-07-2010, 04:33 PM
I know they have a friend who's son is also starting those days. I'd feel a bit cheekey for asking tho.

I would ask the parents if they could speak to their friend, she might be willing to drop the child to you at lunchtime and save you the walk

Miffy xx

karen m
17-07-2010, 05:26 PM
it is really annoying,the staggered starting in reception is to get child use to school but majority of children have been at pre-school for at least 2 years,i have 1 mindee who starts 2 sept 9 till 3 another who starts 16 sept 1 week am next pm then all day by which it is almost 1/2 term then of a week how they expect children to settle i have no idea

BlondeMoment
19-07-2010, 11:12 PM
It's the afternoon naps of the little ones that are going to suffer as well :( They'll be grumpy and ratty for not managing a proper sleep

The Juggler
20-07-2010, 06:29 AM
it is really annoying,the staggered starting in reception is to get child use to school but majority of children have been at pre-school for at least 2 years,i have 1 mindee who starts 2 sept 9 till 3 another who starts 16 sept 1 week am next pm then all day by which it is almost 1/2 term then of a week how they expect children to settle i have no idea

I agree, it's not different enough hours from nursery/pre-school for them to notice. Our school do not do full-time until nearly October. I think 1 week of induction is plenty.