PDA

View Full Version : Expanding my own family v's work

mpoppins
16-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi

I have an almost 2 yr old and have been childminding since the end of last year. Business has really taken off and though I am happy about this, I didn't expect it to be so good.
I was just wondering how childminders manage when they haven't yet finished expanding their own families? I am having enquiries for October, don't want to turn work away, but not sure when I will want my second child. Not sure it would be the best option to explain this to parents???
Just interested in hearing from anybody who has been or is in this situation.

Marie

maisiemog
16-07-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm kinda in a similar situation. DH and I are very keen to have another but have some problems so who knows if/when another baby will come along. I have decided not to let parents know this and not turn down work that I can do. I need the money!!!

I think most parents assume that at some point CMs with only one child will want another. Plus it's not like they wont have a lot of notice is it? October is only 3 months away and assuming you got pregnant now you'd still have 6months until your baby was born. Thats more than enough time for a parent to figure out alternative childcare!!!

Mouse
16-07-2010, 03:25 PM
I started cming when I had 3 children. I've had 2 more since then!

I'd been minding for about a year when I got pregnant. I only had one mindee at the time & his mum wondered how I'd be able to cope with 3 children, a new baby & her son. When I went on maternity leave, she put her son in a nursery. A couple of months later she asked me to have him back as he hated it! I had him then until she had another baby of her own & finished work.

When I got pregnant again, I was in the process of taking on a new child. I knew I was pregnant, but as I was only about 6 weeks, I didn't tell the mum. When I did eventually tell her she was thrilled! Her son went to another minder while I had 3 months maternity leave, then came back to me.