PDA

View Full Version : trying not to think is it worth the hassle

devoncm
01-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Im trying to stay positive as i know it takes a while to get going, i love what i do and i do have 4 part timers through out the week and love having them, but although i have these 4 i still seem to have no money(im not in it for the money anyway but to help pay some bills would be nice) my after schooler pays at beginning of week by cheque, so thats a week after i get round to putting it in, other mindee whos one his mum pays as and when i have him until she finds a job and i have him more at the moment its £9 a week and the two new ones that started last week who are here for about a month im being paid by tax credit people for them and im still waiting for the forms to be sent to me so ive earvt£40 each from them already as they pay £5 hour but im just sat waiting and dont know when im going to get it,ive no number to ring them on and the parent doesnt know what is happening either

the plan this afternoon is to plaster ads everywhere.

Pudding Girl
01-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I not sure if I have this right, but Tax Credits - it should be all for the parents to sort out, and it comes through very quickly, two weeks tops really,I am sure someone else will come and clarify this - but that doesn't sound correct to me?

I'm not in it for the money either, but you are a business, youhave overheads and you need paying for your servicees, I'm not surprised you are feeling down about it

sarah707
01-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Yes tax credits is a parent thing... but it shouldn't take too long to sort out...

Try to stay positive! :D

angeldelight
01-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Blimey no wonder you are fed up

The tax credits should be sorted out with in 2 weeks of the parents claim
You do not have to do anything
Parent claims then they pay the parent monthly

So parent pays you

This is not your problem and this is not right

I would have a chat and say you have called tax credits so she wont question that

Also the parent that pays by cheque - any parent that pays me by cheque must do so 5 days before their payment is due so it clears in time for payment day

Why should you be waiting for money that you have earned and of course you need it for bills etc

You need to get tough today

Good luck

Angel xx

Tatia
01-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Definitely talk to the parent about the tax credits. I've never had to do anything but occasionally fill in a form when the tax people felt someone was scamming and most of my parents pay with tax credits. It's completely down to them.

But as far as being in this for the money, to be truthful, I do not look after other people's children for the sheer joy of it. I happen to love what I do (most of the time:) ) but I wouldn't do it for free!

Noodles
01-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Tax credits can take a while depending on circumstances but if the parent has not heard anything she should be calling tax credit helpline and finding out if there are any reasons that the award is not proceeding as quickly as normal.

devoncm
01-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I thought i didnt have to do anything concerning tax credits either but i had a phone call 2 weeks ago from them asking if i am able to have these two children and they would send the necessary forms to me?

I think i will find their number and ring them then try and catch the mum at school at lunch as her daughter is in same class as mine, thats how mum knew i had spaces.

Thanks, ill let you know how i get on-i need to get tough i think as im a soft touch.

devoncm
01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
seems like ill have to rely on what mum tells me as i cant get anything from the number i rang for tax credit- blimming hopeless!

angeldelight
01-04-2008, 11:20 AM
You can call or email them

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/menus/contactus.shtml

Angel xx

Kelly
01-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I really think you need to establish exactly WHO is paying you and more importantly WHEN. I would not be happy with this situation, maybe there is another number on the link Angel has put on her thread you could try.

Good Luck

Kelly

ma7ie
01-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I always expect money upfront whether they are claiming tax credits or not. I will not wait until tax credits are sorted and expect them to pay out of their own pockets until it is sorted. After all the money will be backdated to them anyway so why should I have to wait.

I know it's hard and I've lost the chance of a mindee through it but I won't have it.:)

Banana
01-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Sorry that you are feeling a bit down.

It will take time to build up business and I know it can seem like forever!

We are all here to support you and I hope that you find a mindee that brings you in more money soon

xx

Twinkles
01-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Sounds like you're going to have to get tough.
We are lucky enough to have a job that we love ( mostly ) but no-one is in it to run a charity, we all rely on our money and have bills to pay.

As you said - get advertising :thumbsup:

berkschick
01-04-2008, 12:47 PM
The tax credit thing doesnt sound right to me :( Im sorry if its not what you wanted to hear.

I dont think Tax Credit people would ring to ask you to childmind a child, its just not how they work.

I would make sure you get some money out of this parent before giving anymore childcare to them.

Alarm bells are ringing here about this but then I dont trust anyone these days!

gailee
01-04-2008, 01:18 PM
it took a single parent 8 weeks before it was sorted ! to her get her claim sorted she was paying me with her money 3 full days a week sometimes 4 days and she was told they did n't look at the claim till after 2 weeks which i think is really bad

Straws
01-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I agree with berkschick tax credits would never ring you and sort out a parents childcare. You should ask for your money upfront, after speaking to other childminders in my area they always ask for payment in advance, I would ask for some money now

Straws xx

devoncm
01-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all advice.
Well after trying all morning to get through to someone, i have spoke to the parent and she said it was through the job centre and council who are paying for the taster sessions as its them who are trying to get her back to work, then after the taster sessions will be tax credit paying me, i will be getting to the bottom of it before the weeks out -i hope.

crazybones
01-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for all advice.
Well after trying all morning to get through to someone, i have spoke to the parent and she said it was through the job centre and council who are paying for the taster sessions as its them who are trying to get her back to work, then after the taster sessions will be tax credit paying me, i will be getting to the bottom of it before the weeks out -i hope.

I was paid for minding through the job centre once - pain in the bum - took weeks before they paid me. Some "child" kept ringing saying they were from the Job Centre and asked for my bank details over the phone. There had been a programme on TV the night before about fraud so I wouldnt give them the details over the phone and asked for a form to fill in. Eventually they sent me a cheque but it was a good few weeks down the line.

Michelle M
01-04-2008, 08:01 PM
A couple of my parents get paid through tax credits and its paid weekly on a saturday into their account, it was sorted out within a couple of weeks.:)