PDA

View Full Version : This thread made me laugh

heatherw
16-07-2010, 05:49 AM
I found this thread on the 'other' site and it made me laugh. Especially the part about asking the cm to change her holidays to suit the parents as the parents have just had 6 weeks off so the cm should have took her holidays then! How inconsiderate of us to take holidays at different times to parents! :laughing:

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/working-childcare-692/childcare-691/444755-cm-holiday-leaves-me-without-childcare.html

marnieb
16-07-2010, 05:57 AM
I saw this too - their cm gave them more than 2 months notice about finding cover for 3 days, and she thought that was inconsiderate of her???!!! Parents, eh???

mushpea
16-07-2010, 05:58 AM
oh spooky,, have just been reading this and replied! how ridiculous that she should expect the childminder to fit around them. i appriciate not everyone has a back up plan but she definatly needs one!

sonia ann
16-07-2010, 07:05 AM
her post made me laugh.............I can see her point of view, but it is entirely unworkable for someone like me.
I have 16 children on my books all taking holidays at different times, I couldn't possibly fit in with all of them :panic:
I send out a list of my holidays a year in advance..( 25 days a year) and all the parents are happy with this as they know what to expect.

having said this ........I do take all my holidays in school holiday time as I have never taken my children out of school in term time:)

miffy
16-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I agree with Sonia - I've always explained to parents that I have my holiday when I choose as there are too many of them for me to fit in with and please everyone.

I can't believe the parent is moaning when she has had almost 2 months notice (at least) of the childmonder's holidays - plenty of time for her to sort something out.

Miffy xx

gigglinggoblin
16-07-2010, 07:27 AM
her post made me laugh.............I can see her point of view, but it is entirely unworkable for someone like me.
I have 16 children on my books all taking holidays at different times, I couldn't possibly fit in with all of them :panic:
I send out a list of my holidays a year in advance..( 25 days a year) and all the parents are happy with this as they know what to expect.

If you posted that on the other thread it might help them understand

suzyblue
16-07-2010, 07:34 AM
I have the same 4 weeks every year so that parents know where they stand.
Personally I would work around these parents if possible or organise alternative care. Mind you I have great parents so would always try to help them out.

angeldelight
16-07-2010, 09:50 AM

I agree

Angel xx

rickysmiths
16-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I think I would feel miffed as this parent is.

I always make it very clear at interview stage that I take all my holidays in the school holidays because dh is a teacher and we have 2 school age children who we would never take out of school for holidays.

The parents then have the choice to take their holidays when i do, which they all do or find alternative care. I will always help with this but won't promise to find cover. They get at least 6 months notice of when I would like my holidays as well.

If I was in the habit of taking term time holidays and teachers approached me for care I would make the fact very clear from the beginning. i also never assume that parents have cover. I wouldn't take such a family on unless I knew I could get cover or they knew they could.

Perhaps the parents need to give their cm all their holiday dates well in advance thenshe would perhaps be able to adjust her holidays to help them.

The Juggler
16-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I agree with Rickysmiths. Whilst we are entitled to take hols term-time or non-term time the first 3 week of term is important for a teacher - I as a parent would not be happy if my child's teacher was absent in the first week of term - that's getting to know you time.

However, if these holiday dates were unavoidable, and the CM had told the parent say in jan this year, then parent has no excuse as she's had plenty of time to get used to idea and find alternate care.

I know she'd given contractual notice for holiday but I'd be miffed as a working teacher too

karensmart4
16-07-2010, 01:52 PM
The bare faced cheek of the one that said it really gripes her when she's told what dates her cm is going on hol!!!!!!!! come on!!!!!!

Chimps Childminding
16-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry I don't agree!! We are entitled to take our holidays to suit us (providing adequate notice is given of course).

Ok these parents being teachers may have to have their holidays at a certain time, but does that mean that all the other parents who'se children we care for have to have theirs then so that we can work around one set of parents???:rolleyes:

I find that parents who do not have school age children tend to have their holidays before the schools break up or when they go back in september, because its cheaper for a start!!!

I do tend to have my holiday in the school holiday, but thats only because up until last year I had children at school/college - who knows what I will do now they have all finished, but as long as I give adequate notice (I usually let them know at the start of the year) I don't see it being a problem :D

FussyElmo
16-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Mmm hard one!!!!

Yes we have the right to take holidays whenever we please providing we give notice HOWEVER its not so easy for teachers just to get time off and if you haven't got family and friends to help.

When I took a child from teacher parents on they asked me if I would consider not taking holidays in the term time as it was practically impossible for them to get this time off. When it was impossible for me to do this I always had a back up for them.

Glad the they talked to the cm and resolved the issue.

Some of the other posters were funny.

I would also be very annoyed if one of my children's teachers had to take time off at the start of term due to childcare issues.