PDA

View Full Version : diaries and paperwork help please

curlycathy
15-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Hello been reading the forum for a while but not dared post before.

My question is this:
I currently do a daily diary for each child (whose parents remember to send it,got a couple of parents who have lost it so gave up!) which goes home every night, In it I record what the child has eaten, sleeps, nappies etc plus I write up what we've been doing. I use those ncma eyfs stickers to link everything to eyfs (parents have a key in the front of the diary). I've also just acquired a pogo printer (fab fab fab) so pop photos in too (also put the stickers around them to show how its linking to eyfs). I use a Look, Listen, Note booklet to note down observations and my next steps - this is shared regularly with parents. I also use a Planning booklet for each child which I fill in for activities undertaken - its got a table in the middle so I write in the date each area of EYFS was covered. I also give parents a monthly sheet to fill in about what their child has been doing and forthcoming plans (thanks to a certain childminder friend who I know goes on this forum - she knows who she is xx).

Is this enough? I did try to do Learning Journals but found I was just repeating myself and all my parents are really happy with the diary I do. Strangely I do also talk to the parents - is this enough for Ofsted?

Sorry Ive rambled a bit but would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks x

BlondeMoment
17-07-2010, 11:15 AM
My god LOL :eek: It has to be! You do alot more than me!

I have a file and in the file is a few samples of their work (with dates on so can see how it's improving) and a scrap book of observations and photos which is sent home every few months for paretns to sign or make comments.

I have one folder of all planning which is for all my LOs and has little notes to show that thought has gone into individual children's needs. Thats it.

I stopped sending home daily diaries in books because thay never came back! Instead I write on a slip of paper for the parents to take home.

My NCMA lady told me I need to show more that I'm communicating with parents so I'm going to give them all a questionaire seeing if they are happy with how informed they are kept etc! Bloomin ridiculous if you ask me. I know my parents are all happy. Thing is as far as Ofsted are concerned if it's not on paper you're not doing it :rolleyes: Maybe we should all hire a PA to take minutes every time we spaek to a parent LOL!

What you're doing sounds perfectly adequate. I just hope you get some time to yourself. It can feel like it takes over yur life sometimes!:yawning:

curlycathy
18-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Thank you for your reply. Do you mean you don't have a film crew with you 24/7 to film you talking to parents at drop off/collection time/in the street when they see you and have to raise something with you/at playgroups/texting during the evenings/on shopping trips/days out with your own family/on holiday/phone calls at all hours then????? Know what you mean about Ofsted - if its not written down it didnt happen but one of my los granny told me I could be making it all up in the diary anyway!!!

The Look/Listen/Note booklets are really good - just write a line or two and then what the next steps are. I don't write down plans for my day or week cos I used to get fed up with writing it all out and then the children all wanting to do something different (and usually far more interesting than anything I could think up!)!!

Think I just needed some reassurance. Sounds like you do similar to me with the folders just that I put it all in a diary and quite frankly if the parent loses it Ofsted can chase them for it!!

xx

sarah707
19-07-2010, 07:06 AM
I know it's hard but if the parents lose the daily diary (especially for under 3s) then instead of giving up I would be asking why.

Why have they lost it? Do they not value the diary? Can they read it? Might sound a daft question but it's valid in this day and age.

Is it in the wrong format for them perhaps? Would they prefer it via email or daily sheets perhaps so I can keep a copy?

Have I asked them .... and recorded their reply?

If they say they don't want anything written - again have I asked them to clarify that for Ofsted and sign their wishes?

Would they prefer a phone call in the evening - or one page a week of the highlights so they can stay informed without having to remember to bring the book every session?

Ofsted want to see you making the most effort to communicate with parents and with other settings... so you really need to be proactive and think round the problems they present.

Hth :D

curlycathy
19-07-2010, 08:02 PM
I used to write on sheets of paper if parents forgot occasionally but don't anymore, and like I said I do talk to parents of an evening.

I have one set of parents who I suspect dont read the diary every night - thats their choice and their right but it is filled in just the same.

There is one set who just stopped sending it, stating that they trust me completely and we do exchange texts throughout the day. Whilst I agree its not a matter of trust really (cos you would think they would trust me having chosen to send their boys to me!) the mum is aware of why the diaries were used - she used to childmind herself. This family finish on Wednesday anyway so I'm not worrying about it - can only do my best.

The others do actually use the diaries - one mum has even recorded all phone contact numbers and records of his immunisations in the inside cover. However, I dont just use the diaries - like I said I do give monthly parental forms for them to fill in and forgot to say that I do issue regular questionnaires for parents to give comments - I always ask what they think of my communication with them and they always state that they are very happy with the diaries (the ones that use them) and that they know they can contact me and talk to me about their child.

Don't really know what else to do. I will be stressing to new families the importance of the diaries but I'm not going to worry about them losing it. Its in my policies for Ofsted to see that I supply a diary but if parents don't want to use it I'm not stressing. I still use the Look, Listen, Note and Planning booklets (they stay with me and are shared with parents here) so can't see how Ofsted can have a go if I supply a diary and parents lose it - as long as I have some to show them.

zillervalley
19-07-2010, 09:04 PM
I know it's hard but if the parents lose the daily diary (especially for under 3s) then instead of giving up I would be asking why.

Why have they lost it? Do they not value the diary? Can they read it? Might sound a daft question but it's valid in this day and age.

Is it in the wrong format for them perhaps? Would they prefer it via email or daily sheets perhaps so I can keep a copy?

Have I asked them .... and recorded their reply?

If they say they don't want anything written - again have I asked them to clarify that for Ofsted and sign their wishes?

Would they prefer a phone call in the evening - or one page a week of the highlights so they can stay informed without having to remember to bring the book every session?

Ofsted want to see you making the most effort to communicate with parents and with other settings... so you really need to be proactive and think round the problems they present.

Hth :D

valid point Sarah, Ofsted do want evidence , and even if it is something signed to say why they are not interested in their childs progress

BlondeMoment
19-07-2010, 11:08 PM
I just think parents have enough on their plates what with juggling work, pick ups and everything else in their lives without us demanding of them aswell.

We all do a thing called talking! Old fasioned I know but my parents know all about their child's progress from the things I tell them. So of course they don't see the importsnce of the back and forthing of a daily diary. Im not going to expect them to return a diary to me every day. I jot things down so I don't forget to mention stuff. The children's observation books show their development and the parents sign that whenever they see it.

I've got so so tired of stressing myself out when there really isn't any guidance on how this is all supposed to be done. If Ofsted want to mark me down for being a human and not a paper producer then I don't think I care.

Don't mean to sound harsh. Just that I've lost sleep over things like this and I refuse to let work take over my life