PDA

View Full Version : Money for outings?

snufflepuff
15-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Just wondered how many of you ask parents for extra money to pay towards outings?
I have put in my welcome packs etc that i may occassionally ask parents to contribute towards trips or outings. I was thinking of perhaps asking for one amount to cover a few trips over the summer. Im not sure what to ask for though? Im not expecting them to cover the whole cost, just a contribution.
Could anyone help me with the wording for a letter to ask for the money please? I want to make it clear that its not complusory but that if nobody pays up we won't be going anywhere because i can't afford it....but worded in a nicer way of course!
I wish i could just pay for it all myself but once you account for travel, entry, food etc i'd be working for pretty much nothing!

PixiePetal
15-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I give parents notice of any big trips which I would like a contribution to. I do say this at interview stage too, so they are warned at the beginning.

I have never had anyone say no, and I do keep the cost down as much as possible - taking picnics/drinks and going to places which don't cost more than £5 if I can.

Parents are pleased the kids are having a good time :)

TammyN
15-07-2010, 07:18 PM
i don't charge for days out, i only had 1 mindee last year and my own 2 but this year i have 4 over the week so i'm looking at one or two main days out and other fun free things!

Millenium
15-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Apart from toddler groups and Sure Start centres which are mostly £1 per child around here, I manage quite well to get most of my outings to free places. Occasionally there might be car parking charges but no entrance fee.

I know that in the summer months places that are free are more plentiful (parks, woodland walks, local lakes etc.) and in the winter it becomes a bit more challenging but thus far, I have not had to ask for any contributions.

I generally only mind under 3s so the sort of outings I am seeking are maybe easier to find without cost.

blue bear
15-07-2010, 08:08 PM
the out of school club here asks for money for trips on top of the hourly rate which is much the same a childminders, the pre-schools do the same.

Can't see why parents would not expect childminders to charge, given enough notice.

I have never charged, parents have offered and often give me enough money for icecreams for everyone but I don't ask.

Pipsqueak
15-07-2010, 08:18 PM
I always let parents know in advance if we are going on a trip that is going to cost extra. I always try to keep it under a £5 and a max of £2 spends. I will provide the packed lunch and ice cream!

Never had a problem with that yet

~Chelle~
15-07-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't charge for trips but always have one family who will give me money to cover costs, even though I don't ask them for it.

Last time I said that after our outing, was going to take mindee to Mcdonalds, dad turned up and shoved £10 in my hand and said that it should cover it and refused to let me give him any change as he said that I am always treating his son and I shouldn't have to be out of pocket.:thumbsup: Not all parents are like this though :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
15-07-2010, 08:23 PM
It is included in my hourly rates.

TheBTeam
15-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Mine is also included, only because I dont want the hassle of some parents agreeing to pay and others refusing, I am also not good at asking for money!

karen m
15-07-2010, 08:33 PM
i have never asked for a contribution as i feel it would not be fair if 1 family gave something and another did not thus do you pay for some and not others to me a charge a fair rate and this includes days out

marnieb
16-07-2010, 06:10 AM
As my own dd is only 16 months and we'd be going to groups etc anyway, I don't ask for anything for them, but if we're having a big day out, I ask parents for a contribution. Took them fruit picking a few weeks ago, and Mum gave me £10 towards everything, and didn't want any change. That's the only big outing we've had, but I'm sure there will be more over the summer holidays.

Hebs
16-07-2010, 06:21 AM
i dont ask for contributions, however i do say they are welcome to give their lo's £1 for an ice cream or something

me and cher have things planned for every day of the summer holidays and the only activity that has cost us is the hire of the bouncy castle :D

Chatterbox Childcare
16-07-2010, 07:35 AM
When parents first come to me I negotiate and put in the contract £10 per week for holiday children and if we do a larger trip we discuss the costs before it is booked. Under 5's have £7 per week for soft play and lunch in theirs all year round.

karensmart4
16-07-2010, 08:09 AM
I have put into my contract that I may on occasion ask for a small contribution towards outings such as Animal Farm, Soft Play Centre etc. All of my parents have been fine with this

HELEN10
16-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Mine is in a 'Please note the following' sheet i give with the contracts and states:-

'Occasionally we have trips out to play centres and museums and days out etc.
You will be informed beforehand and give the opportunity four your child to participate. Fees such as entrance fees , spending money etc would be required'

Parents do not have a problem and this only applies really to school hols and all my parents have agreed £10.00 per week per child to spend, some weeks it may just be a few ice creams so i then carry what is left over and then it covers costly weeks with expensive entry fees, has worked really well as i have a budget to work with and do not constantly have to ask parents for money!

Terrm time stuff is usually free apart from odd toddler group which i pay for.

rickysmiths
16-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Mine is in a 'Please note the following' sheet i give with the contracts and states:-

'Occasionally we have trips out to play centres and museums and days out etc.
You will be informed beforehand and give the opportunity four your child to participate. Fees such as entrance fees , spending money etc would be required'

Parents do not have a problem and this only applies really to school hols and all my parents have agreed £10.00 per week per child to spend, some weeks it may just be a few ice creams so i then carry what is left over and then it covers costly weeks with expensive entry fees, has worked really well as i have a budget to work with and do not constantly have to ask parents for money!

Terrm time stuff is usually free apart from odd toddler group which i pay for.

What would you do if one of the parents asked that their child did not participate in a day out that you planned with everyone?

This is why all my outing fees are included in my hourly rate.
Also if you are asking for money for outtings surely this then has to be recorded in your accounts as income and the reciepts for the day as expenditure? I don't think I could be bothered to record all the odd bits of extra income.

Hebs
16-07-2010, 09:58 AM
What would you do if one of the parents asked that their child did not participate in a day out that you planned with everyone?

this is why i dont ask, i wouldnt want to have to cancel the trip if one parent refused to pay

angeldelight
16-07-2010, 10:00 AM
I do not usually charge

Most of my parents give extra though with the kids spending money and tell me to keep the change

Angel xx

Hebs
16-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I do not usually charge

Most of my parents give extra though with the kids spending money and tell me to keep the change

Angel xx

mine do to :laughing: i think they end up feeling guilty about their kids going all over and doing lots that they offer money towards the cost :laughing:

cas2805
16-07-2010, 10:08 AM
My parents pay for their own kids fees. We do as much as possible for free but when we go to soft play or playgroups, they each have their own money bag or kitty and I use their own money. I pay for mine and my DS and the parents are always asking if they should put more money in the kitty!

HELEN10
18-07-2010, 07:51 PM

This is why all my outing fees are included in my hourly rate.
Also if you are asking for money for outtings surely this then has to be recorded in your accounts as income and the reciepts for the day as expenditure? I don't think I could be bothered to record all the odd bits of extra income.

Hi so far not been a problem at all, all the parents want their children to do stuff in the hols and at the moment as mentioned all my parents agree to the ten pound per week.

Not a hassle recording its just a case of simply totalling in with fees and then doing expenses as normal.

Marshmallow
18-07-2010, 08:40 PM
:eek: Am I being really dumb? I thought we could put it through our expenses, as well as an ice cream , or a meal ?
Please put me right, as it seems I have gone mad:censored:

cas2805
18-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Yes you are correct, all outings & food can go down as expenses. Why should I spend my income on my mindees if the parents are happy to pay? the odd thing that I pay for, will go on my expenses, though if the kids pay for their own things, then it is less for me to record. Mainly as I keep forgetting to write them down

mushpea
19-07-2010, 05:54 AM
I also dont ask for money for trips and i tell parents not to send spending money because some parent would send some and other wont then you get upset mindees cause they have nothing to spend.
I pay for all the outings and we have icecreams when we get home as they are so expensive when your out especaialy when buying for 6 or7 children,, they all know this and never ask for an icecream till we get home.