PDA

View Full Version : About to start school

BlondeMoment
14-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Help!
I have a 4.5 year old lad who's been coming to me for three weeks now. He has no writing skills whatsoever. He starts school in September and I'm going to look useless. He can't hold a pen/crayon/pencil properly and can't form so much as a face on paper. His drawings are just scribble. He does recognise some of the letters of the alphabet. Is this going to look bad on me? I really can't see how I'm going to shape him up in 6 weeeks! Do we have to have ALL their EYFS goals ticked off?

Stressed!

sarah707
14-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Give him chalk on the patio, paint at the easel, water and big brushes on the wall.

The trick is to capture his interest in making marks... then move slowly on to paper and crayons.

No it won't look bad on you and no you don't need to tick off all the ages and stages info... that's not what it is about.

You need to show evidence of giving him lots of opportunities to explore mark making.

Hth :D

sophiestars
15-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Also it's worth noting that the EYFS goals that are in bold are meant to be reached by the END of their year in Reception so he still has a whole year left in EYFS and he will develop alot of those skills in school, I'm sure.

BlondeMoment
16-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys, thats a massive help!
The thing is he's just really not interested in anything creative. Will def get some chalks for patio. Been meaning to do that for ages. I;m new to all this so feel really lost as to what I should be doing. Also when he goes to school do I hand all his observations etc over to his teacher? Because I thought I needed them for Ofsted? Confused!:confused:

The Juggler
16-07-2010, 01:00 PM
is he going to reception. Then you don't need to do a profile for him but it might be useful to prepare a baseline assessment for his teachers for when he starts.

As Sarah said lots of mark making over the Summer and don't beat yourself up, if you share his learning journey with the school, they will see he's only been with you a short while.

karensmart4
16-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Help!
I have a 4.5 year old lad who's been coming to me for three weeks now. He has no writing skills whatsoever. He starts school in September and I'm going to look useless. He can't hold a pen/crayon/pencil properly and can't form so much as a face on paper. His drawings are just scribble. He does recognise some of the letters of the alphabet. Is this going to look bad on me? I really can't see how I'm going to shape him up in 6 weeeks! Do we have to have ALL their EYFS goals ticked off?

Stressed!

Has the boy been to a cm, pre school or nursery before he came to you? He's only been coming to you for a very short time so you can't be expected to have him at the stage we would all like our children to be at when starting school.
Our schools break up next wk, so classes are sorted, parents have had their home and school visits, he should have had his transision days.
The school knows what level he's at, everything he learns now is a bonus.
Give him lots of opportunities and encouragement and don't worry about even trying to meet all of the eyfs goals.
Have you ever seen the work that nurseries pass on to schools......not a patch on what we do :D
Relax and don't worry :thumbsup:

BlondeMoment
17-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Has the boy been to a cm, pre school or nursery before he came to you? He's only been coming to you for a very short time so you can't be expected to have him at the stage we would all like our children to be at when starting school.
Our schools break up next wk, so classes are sorted, parents have had their home and school visits, he should have had his transision days.
The school knows what level he's at, everything he learns now is a bonus.
Give him lots of opportunities and encouragement and don't worry about even trying to meet all of the eyfs goals.
Have you ever seen the work that nurseries pass on to schools......not a patch on what we do :D
Relax and don't worry :thumbsup:

Yeah he's had his induction days. I will tell his teacher I've not had him very long. Got his EYFS achievements ready to show and yes I'll definately work on some things with him during the holidays. Thanks guys