PDA

View Full Version : On Line Learning Journeys?

welshgirl
14-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Hello, I have started keeping childrens Learning Journeys on-line, parents have password access to their individual childs journey and can access it whenever they would like to, they can leave feedback to me, they can share it with grandparents etc, and it seems to be working really well, parents love it. How do you think ofsted will view this if I don't keep paper copies? I have them all backed up on disc and are all saved in word docs so I could print them out if I needed to, but it was costing me a fortune printing so many photos and it is nice not to have so much paper!

miss mopple
14-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Sounds fab! How do you share it with other settings? Ofsted will look for that

Also are you registered with the data protection office?

welshgirl
14-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I currently don't need to share with any other setting, but a little one is starting pre school soon, I have spoken to the manager and asked her what she thought, she thought it was a great idea, i would just need to get parents to sign to say the pre school can access it too. But if it doesn't work I can go back to printing it on paper :( its all stored as word docs anyway.
I phoned the ICO a few months ago when I first started to think about setting this up, they told me I did not need to register, do you think this is incorrect? to be honest I had to explain my situation to the lady 3 times as she kept talking about employees!!! All the parents have signed forms to allow them to go on-line, it would be a shame to not have them on-line all their families live away, so it is nice for grandparents to see what their grandchildren have been up to, I even get feedback from them. :)

PixiePetal
14-07-2010, 07:55 PM
I currently don't need to share with any other setting, but a little one is starting pre school soon, I have spoken to the manager and asked her what she thought, she thought it was a great idea, i would just need to get parents to sign to say the pre school can access it too. But if it doesn't work I can go back to printing it on paper :( its all stored as word docs anyway.
I phoned the ICO a few months ago when I first started to think about setting this up, they told me I did not need to register, do you think this is incorrect? to be honest I had to explain my situation to the lady 3 times as she kept talking about employees!!! All the parents have signed forms to allow them to go on-line, it would be a shame to not have them on-line all their families live away, so it is nice for grandparents to see what their grandchildren have been up to, I even get feedback from them. :)

I am guessing that you very much should be registered as I have been told that even if I only use a digital camera, I need to register.

welshgirl
14-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I'll give them a ring tomorrow, does it mean every childminder should be registered with them then? What do you think ofsteds view will be on them only being on-line? I could always do both and print it out too, but thought it would be nice to save some trees!

sarah707
14-07-2010, 09:06 PM
In Cheshire we have been told if we use a digital camera or put any information even letters on our computers then we have to register.

Hth :D

SaijaM
15-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Good post as I would like to do daily diaries etc online too. Might do Profile books as it will be a nice memory, but daily diaries online will definitely save a few trees :)

I'm also wondering how Ofsted will view this?

Also, how do you register with ICO, do you just call them? I can't make much sense of their website to be honest!

xx Saija

huggableshelly
15-07-2010, 12:42 PM
call ICO
tell them you can not navigate around their website, they will send you a paper application form out.

fill it out send it back with a cheque or bank details. They then send you a pack, cdrom and your cover certificate for 12 months.

costs roughly £35.00, put this through your books.

huggableshelly
15-07-2010, 12:45 PM
ALSO:
sharing with other agencies ... Parents have the password allowing them to share with whom they chose too including other settings.

Once a mindee moves into another setting gain parental permission to share information including the online LJ and store it in your childrens folders. Any information shared from others can be logged into the LJ's by yourself.

SaijaM
15-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks so much :) Just printed the forms out for applying for ICO.
I did find it online afterall :clapping:

Tink
15-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Have you spoken to Ofsted about this? I know it's lots of work but I prefer to do mine on paper, but maybe that's just me

Dreean
22-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi

Love the on-line idea.

How have you gone about that? Do you have a website that you upload to? or do you have a programme, etc?

moljak
22-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Hi

Love the on-line idea.

How have you gone about that? Do you have a website that you upload to? or do you have a programme, etc?

would love to know this too.Thanks

Beckieboo
23-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Bump!

Me too, i have a website but not really technically minded!!:laughing:

SaijaM
23-07-2010, 12:12 PM
I have done just a basic website where you can upload / amend etc.. using Google sites.

I asked about this from my early years team (how Ofsted would view) and they said that anything a parent needs to sign, needs to be on paper... does LJ's and daily diaries need to be signed my question is now?

xx Saija

Playmate
23-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't ask for diaries to be signed and I ask for written feedback on LJ's but not necessary to actually sign. Had inspection in March of this year and was not told otherwise :D

Pauline
23-07-2010, 03:35 PM
I have done just a basic website where you can upload / amend etc.. using Google sites.

Hi Saija. Do they have secure (https) pages? I was thinking that if it is personal information about a child it needs to be very secure if it is online to ensure it cannot be accessed by anyone who shouldn't see it.

SaijaM
26-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi Pauline,

Thanks for that, I've passworded any landing pages where you might find individual information on the children :)

xx Saija

AnnieM
26-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Wow, never thought of doing it online. I have a website with freewebs, do you think I would be able to set something up securely from there? Sounds good as I would much rather keep it all online, if Ofsted are OK with this. :thumbsup: