PDA

View Full Version : Chickenpox

Hebs
13-07-2010, 12:56 PM
do we HAVE to refuse care if a child has chickenpox?

venus89
13-07-2010, 12:58 PM
I don't think so. I know childminders who stay open with things like that.

mamasheshe
13-07-2010, 12:59 PM
hmmmmmmm not sure i would exclude until scabbed over, me and my girls have had them but if theirs anyone in your setting who hasn't or expectant mums and also I'd be stuck in :( but think it's up to you ?

maryp0ppins
13-07-2010, 01:01 PM
I dont think so no. I looked after mindee D yesterday who had chicken pox last week but this week they were all scabbed over which is when infection cannot be spread. I informed all other parents & they were happy to still sent their lo's.

Hope I'm right...someone may well tell me different.

allinatiz
13-07-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't think so. I have looked after children with chicken pox after being given the green light from the parents of all the other children that come here. Those of them with children who hadn't already had it didn't have a problem with it as their children had already spent the best part of a week with the infected child anyway!

Hebs
13-07-2010, 01:02 PM
obviously i would stay open for all parents if it is passed on, think 2 mindees have it :panic:

Playmate
13-07-2010, 01:07 PM
You would need written permission from all your parents and be prepared to stay in for at least five days, personally I would not :D

venus89
13-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Just ask the other parents what they think, without naming the child with chickenpox. Lots of parents want their child to catch it - though maybe not this close to the holidays..........

Tink
13-07-2010, 01:10 PM
I know this sounds silly but the Dr told me they are contagious 2 weeks bvefore the spots come out!!!
Once the spots have scabbed they are fine. I know that sounds silly, I would suggest Mum takes child to Dr's first to get the all clear just to be safe.

Hebs
13-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Just ask the other parents what they think, without naming the child with chickenpox. Lots of parents want their child to catch it - though maybe not this close to the holidays..........

well i think 2 mindees have it, from 2 different families, so only leaves one family left and they are on holiday this week but have text both mum and dad to warn them.

Hebs
13-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I know this sounds silly but the Dr told me they are contagious 2 weeks bvefore the spots come out!!!
Once the spots have scabbed they are fine. I know that sounds silly, I would suggest Mum takes child to Dr's first to get the all clear just to be safe.

some people say that they are contagious for up to 3 weeks (or 21 days) before the spots come out so the chances are they'll be festering away already :laughing:

charleyfarley
13-07-2010, 01:16 PM
I stayed open when a mindee got them earlier in the year as Mitchell came out with the the same day.
I gave other mindees parents the choice whether or not to send him, they chose not to as mom was pregnant.
He ended up getting them anyway 4 weeks later.

It's going round our pre school again too

Carol xx

PixiePetal
13-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I had one off last week with it.

I haven't had it, and at 45 don't want it!!

another mindee was off ill the week before first mindee got it so may have avoided it, his mum is early pregnant so not keen right now to get it. Chicken pox stayed at home - scabbed this week so back again :thumbsup:

blue bear
14-07-2010, 04:19 PM
it is a contagious disease and we should avoid cross contamination, but I have always gone with the thought that it's generally too late by the time they come out so I ring all the parents and if all agree and child not unwell with it I have them and stay in for the duration, my own son has had them four times!!

Hebs
14-07-2010, 04:27 PM
my son has had them 3 times,

decision was to keep mindee at home :thumbsup: