PDA

View Full Version : Biting

Bex1
13-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Hello

Bit of advice please?

I mind a 2 yr old and we were at our local toddler group and at the making table and my DD leant over him to get the scissors and the mindee sunk his teeth into her and I believe he meant it as I had to pull him off her :(

I have never been in a situation where biting has occured so wasnt sure the best way to deal so I got him off the chair whilst I was cuddling my DD and I said that I was very unhappy with him and that what he just did was not very nice. I even got him to look at my DD's arm which had the biggest red circle with teeth marks and I said for him to see what he has done and how upset he has made his friend. I then told him that he was to sit with me and have time out whilst he thinks about what he just did. He has apologised to my DD and then after that I let him continue with play.

I have written it all up in his daily diary and I will explain to mum later!

She still has the marks on her arm now, all swollen and sore looking, poor thing :(

ourmadhouse
13-07-2010, 12:26 PM
ah iv had this problem but the other way round, its my 18 month old whos the biter!
try and look out for what sets them off biting. . . with mine its when she wants something someone else has so im now working on language with her and 'sharing'. its hard work and my dd can get very frustrated try and get them to understand it hurts too (easier said than done though!)

my next steps with my dd biting is to give all the fuss to the other child and make sure she doesnt end up holding the item she bit for while im fussing the hurt child, if my dd does come over to see the other child i am fussing i encurage her to say sorry / give a cuddle to the other child and point out the sore spot and say that hurts, biting hurts and its not nice.

Hope this may help, i know how hard it is dealing with a biter :panic:

Would also like too see any other advice people have . . .