PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Guidelines

butterfly
13-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi everyone! I'm really hoping there's someone who can help me!

I've recently had a FCEERS inspection and was told that one area for improvement was healthy eating because i supplied the children with white bread. My action plan says to look at nutritional guidelines for children but my problem is WHAT GUIDELINES??!!

I've googled it and absolutely loads comes up some of which contradicts others!

Is there a set of guidelines somewhere that I should adhere to? I'd like specific such as how many portons of things to give and how much sugar/salt etc!

Mouse
13-07-2010, 09:47 AM
I find this site helpful:

http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/lifestages/feeding-your-toddlerpre-school-child?start=1

butterfly
13-07-2010, 09:53 AM
thanks i just bought sarah's e-book and i've looked at the scottish guidelines

miss mopple
13-07-2010, 09:57 AM
lots of info on

www.littlepeoplesplates.co.uk

Blaze
13-07-2010, 10:20 AM
As FCEERS is generally aimed at school age provision I use this website:

http://www.schoolfoodtrust.org.uk/the-standards/the-nutrient-based-standards/compliant-menus-with-analysed-recipes/primary-schools

The above is a link to example menus that comply with the nutriational standards - there is a lot of info also in the breakfast club section...I am fighting with them at the moment to allow CM's to use the traffic light menu tool, as at the moment the registration needed to use this won't eccept CM's URN's:rolleyes:

manjay
13-07-2010, 12:06 PM
lots of government backed research on here (http://www.cwt.org.uk/) too

The Juggler
13-07-2010, 09:16 PM
i wouldnt think they are referring to one particular set of guidelines rather different advice on feeding pre-schoolers.

I had a development point that I am not going to do. Basically they advised to change my nappy changing area to an area near running water (sink). To do so I would have to leave other children.

This development action was under supervisioin and safety so to improve the nappy changing, I would be taking away from other aspects of supervision. As long as you say something i.e. an actioin plan for what you will do but justify why you might have had white bread, you should be fine e.g:

you will check and keep up to date with the most recent guidelines on healthy eating for pre-schoolers. However, you will occasionally feed childrne white bread and wholemeal bread can be too difficult for under 3's to absorb/digest properly (there was a good thread on this some time ago but sure you can uncover some research).

Well done on getting through your FCCERS though - it's very indepth isn't it. Did you find it useful?

singlewiththree
14-07-2010, 06:16 AM
lots of info on

www.littlepeoplesplates.co.uk

What a brilliant website, I've just do the analysis on my daughter as I took her to the doctor last week as she seems to have no energy. I hadn't noticed but it says that she isn't getting enough carbohydrate for her age. She has cereal, bread, pasta etc but isn't getting enough so that might explain it!