PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed -- any Portsmouth childminders

Mia'smummyx
13-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Hello.
I am considering relocating from Essex to Portsmouth but have lots of questions.
Is there a need for childminders in Portsmouth???
Do i have to completly re-register or will I just have another inspection to ensure the property is suitable??
What are the kind of average fees??
And a personal question-- wheres the nice/ not so nice places to live and good schools.
Thank you
Leah xxxx

Tired
13-07-2010, 09:28 AM
am in waterlooville, just north of Portsmouth. It is in Hampshre county council, as opposed to Portsmouth City Council.
If you have the choice, I would try to live in Hampshire. They offer loads of training for childminders, and grants etc, that other parts of the country do not get.

As for charges, most people here charge £3.50-£3.60 an hour.

I think you will have to have a new inspection when your house is ready, you wot have to re-register.

hope that helps, get in toch if you have an more questions.

kentcfis
13-07-2010, 09:56 AM
HAMPSHIRE WEBSITE: Registered childcare providers please contact the Early Education and Childcare Unit directly (01962 813887 or childcare@hants.gov.uk).

if you have an area in mind you could always contact their FIS and ask what the demand is for the area - they may direct you to the Childcare Sufficiency Assessment (CSA) for the Authority that may indicate the demand as well.

Kent's CSA is available here: http://www.kent.gov.uk/education_and_learning/childcare_and_pre-school/choosing_childcare/monitoring_childcare_in_kent.aspx

Mia'smummyx
13-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Hello.
Thank you for your reply, I have found a house I really like, although I think its a bit expensive for the area but still £200 a month less than where I am now.
Its in Horndean.
Is there a big need for childminders or would I have a struggle to find mindees.
The schools I have found are Horndean- full, catherine- full and going to try petersgate and padnelle.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Leah x

Blue Boy
13-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Hello.
Thank you for your reply, I have found a house I really like, although I think its a bit expensive for the area but still £200 a month less than where I am now.
Its in Horndean.
Is there a big need for childminders or would I have a struggle to find mindees.
The schools I have found are Horndean- full, catherine- full and going to try petersgate and padnelle.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Leah x

we have friends who live in Cowplain not far from Horndean and would love to live down there. sorry dont know what the childcare needs are in the area. But if you do move it will be another place to go for a cuppa:thumbsup:

Carpet Monkeys
13-07-2010, 03:55 PM
My sister lives in Horndean ... have you looked at Queens Enclosure school (I think that's what it's called), I'll ask her about childminders in the area etc for you. She has a 4 year old starting at Horndean in Sept and a 2 year old!

Tired
13-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Horndean is a lovely area. Padnel and Queens Enclosure are good schools, as far as I know. I dont know anything about Petersgate, sorry.

I can ask our local development officer what demand is like in Horndean, pm me your e mail address and ill see what i can find out.