PDA

View Full Version : What's the best part?

danemi1
12-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Hya Hope its ok for me to post this but I have beent hinking for a long time now about giving up my job working for the police (auditor) and becoming a childminder - enough thinking I thought - lets start finding out more - can anyone tellme the best parts and worst parts?

Another major and very important factor is I have children - a 6 yr old daughter and a 8 yr old son - I think they would be happy about it - I have spoken to them about it - has anyone else any experience of this? The only time I wonder if it would matter is the school holidays - as they wouldnt be able to go anywhere if I had many children staying - although there must be ways around this - like trips in walking distance such as the park - and then if I had two weeks leave in the holidays and we went then - any advice and help appreciated

I feel I have a lot to offer - I obviously love children, I love doing this with them playing, reading and I am an avid crafter - I often help out at school as it is with the reception and years 1 through to 3 children

Many many thanks for taking the time to read this

Elaine
x

The Juggler
12-07-2010, 08:37 PM
if I'm honest, I would find it harder to start when my kids were that age but loads of people I know of, have done this.

Mainly, my kids 10 and 8 love the babies and are lovely with them but are starting to get a bit bored with just trips to the park in the holidays. I do, when I can, invite their friends over to help occupy them but often I have too full to do this.

They don't complain or play up too much but they've been used to me doing this since they were 2 and 4 so haven't known much different.

However, have a long chat and if you think they will cope then it is THE best way to work, earn money, have a very rewarding job AND be with your kids. I treat mine to a day at holiday activities one day per holiday, they like me being her and they are pretty good really. If you can get a few older children the same age, that will make it even better for your kids.

It's hard work paperwork wise but that all might change soon with new Gov. The early years curriculum I love, and if you enjoying playing and planning activities which excite and interest children you will love childminding.:)

I think it depends on your children hon. Sorry this post wasn't meant to be so negative.:) Let us know whatyou decide.

TheBTeam
12-07-2010, 08:45 PM
The best parts are things like today, my ds was in a district sports event and I was able to go, we had only a couple of days notice, and i didnt have to worry about getting time off with my boss!

My 11 and 8 year old have had me do this since they were 2 and nearly 5, so sometimes now they are getting bored with the same round of repetitive outings in the holidays, especially my ds11, but that said they have had a few years doing a lot more during the holidays and having a lot more fun than if i worked in an employed job and sent them to holiday clubs.

I compromise now because both of them love football, by having our family two week hol in the summer hols and by letting them do a week or two on a football course during the day and then this gives them less time to do the same run of outings (which arent boring for mindees cos they arent here for years and years).

I think if you can be flexible with your children, let them go to a holiday course, stay home let them have a friend round etc so that they do not feel that they constantly are off doing free things with the mindees then it will be okay, that said because it is new to them they may initially enjoy it, so by the time it is an issue they are more independent anyway.

The worst part is the lack of guaranteed money (better if you have a working partner!), and some parents!!!!!!!!

miffy
12-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Best parts - being there for your own kids; being your own boss; choosing your days/hours of work; having all the nice times with babies but not the sleepless nights :laughing: ; making some good friends - children and parents!

Worst parts - work is not guaranteed - you can be full one minute and with no work the next, even 4 weeks notice is not much of a cushion if you can't replace the work; parents can be a pia; there is always paperwork to be done and just when you think you've got on top of it/understand what was wanted the goalposts change.

I'm stopping there before I put you off completely :laughing:

Miffy xx

huggableshelly
12-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Best parts:
offering a homely enviroment to others
sharing care of other children
never having to grow up as able to play with toys all day
being my own boss
being in my own home
being able to attend school meetings, physio and speech therapy without taking time off work
being able to always be here for my own children

worst parts:
late payments
children growing older and not leaving but still taking up fullt time places
(if I were to childmind again this would change)
conflicts between my own children and minded children
paperwork though not too bad if you keep on top of it
long hours (again this would change)

I gave up childminding a couple of wks ago as my children ages 8 and 9 were no longer happy sharing their mommy with others.
I had 6 before school, 3 during school hours then 8 afterschool
more during school hols
my working hours made a huge inpact on my home and family, something happened that made me sit back and see what it was doing to my family.

many minders have been doing this job for years and it has worked for them around their families. you can look at term time only during school hours if you feel it will not work for your children.

there are more pros than cons, i am sure more will come in and tell you of their success stories

Ali56
12-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I feel i'm quite lucky with the children i mind, some are all year round so 3 days a wk in the hols and others are term time only. I chose not to charge a retainer for the T/T family as I really value not being commited too much in the hols. This is what suited my family best as i get to spend time with them on mondays and fridays without mindee's(makes every wkend a long weekend!). Its a fair compromise. Otherwise likes and dislikes-as above!!

Ali x:clapping:

danemi1
12-07-2010, 10:07 PM
thank you - will be thinking about what you have said - anyone please let me know what you think too - warts and all - had thought about doing term time only - would I get any mindees like this though??? do you all work mon to fri - whats approx start and finish times - I know some will do one thing another child will want different hours but on the whole - whats the score? thanks

Stillgoingstrong
13-07-2010, 06:31 AM
thank you - will be thinking about what you have said - anyone please let me know what you think too - warts and all - had thought about doing term time only - would I get any mindees like this though??? do you all work mon to fri - whats approx start and finish times - I know some will do one thing another child will want different hours but on the whole - whats the score? thanks

I did my first stint of childminding when mine were 6 months and 2 years and I found that quite hard, as personally speaking, not to say this happens with everyone, I couldn't help but put mine first. If 2 were crying/hungry/thirsty/dirty I would go to mine first, which may be wrong and will be contraversial (sp?) I know, but thats why I stopped minding then. Anyway then I went out to full time work and came back to minding when mine were older - so much easier for me. There are people that want term time only - think of all the teachers out there - but even if you had mindees on the holidays you CAN still do things! Dont take on more than you can comfortably take on a day out would be my only advice on that one.
Warts atm is all the paperwork! Good luck:) Oh, I work mainly Mon-Fri but I have 2 on the odd sat if mum has to work. I accomodate shifts so can do as early as 6.30am and as late as 7.30pm, but not on the same day!

Monkey26
13-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Positives:
* Working from own home, so can do things like put the washing on if need be etc ;)
* Own boss,
* Can choose own hours etc :eek: (most of the time! some parents might disagree haha)
* Get to hand the children back at 6.30pm (i don't have any of my own) :thumbsup:
* I am still in touch with children who have left me and i still get invited to things like sports day and birthday parties :)
* Watching children meet and master milestones :D
* Play with toys all day long if you choose! :jump for joy:
* I have been to many brilliant zoos, aquariums, nature walks etc that i probably never would have even known about :laughing:

Negatives:
* Can be long hours (ring ring: "can you just keep xxx an extra 10 minutes?", half hour later...!)
* Paperwork increases hours as when i shut the door i still have obs to write up, policies to update, risk assessments to adjust etc!
* If you have a 'problem' it can be isolating and hard to deal with, eg a child who hits, you are on your own majoirty of time with that child where as in a nursery/pre-school you can take a break or deligate to someone else. Childminding its a case of BIG BREATH and carry on.

I now work Monday-Thursday, 7.30am-6.30pm

It's a very rewarding job but you must be truely dedicated to it, i don't believe it to be the kind of job you can do half hearted :) Good luck xx

suzyblue
13-07-2010, 06:53 AM
I am lucky in that I live in a well off area and there are not many childminders so I am always full and have a waiting list. I am single so this job means I am home when my youngest daughter gets in from school, with a bit of juggling I can get to appointments with her etc. I looked at working outside of the home and there is no way I could earn enough to pay the mortgage and then I would need childcare. I used to work in London doing accounts and I wouldnt go back to it.

I work 8-6 and used to have Fridays off. I currently only have 1 in on a Friday so it still feels like a day off to me. Im really busy for 3 days then the week gets easier towards the end.
I can get bits and pieces done in the day ie. phone calls, being in for deliveries, gas man etc

I love it and only worry that one day I will be too old to carry on!

huggableshelly
13-07-2010, 07:02 AM
you should do well with term time only

i had 8 before and afterschoolers coming up to 5 days a wk with a full day on staff training days or a full afternoon when school closes early for end of term.

I then had my holiday only children which was more money than term time only.

only 2 of my term time children stayed for the holidays too, i did not charge retainers for those not attendingas was able to make up the money and was not available to offer additional care.

average hours were 7:30 - 5:30 term time
7:30 - 6:30 school hols

the morning families often forgot the time and dropped off earlier sometimes as early as 6:45am and as Iam soft I let them get away with it.

advice: stick to your opening times, dont allow parents to creep into earlier drop offs and charge a late pick up fee based on an additional charge for every 15 mins they are late, mine was set at £5.00 per 15 mins unless they called me in advance to make agreed arrangments then the OT was charged at normal rate.

jaja
13-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi,

The best parts for me are...

My own boss,
1)the different children and families you meet
2)attending your childrens events at school
3)you can do what you want when you want to ( within reason, lol)
4)you can take holidays when you want too
5)you meet other childminders
6)i love the children
7)i love the amount of hours i do the job
8)you can pick and choose the hours, children, families,
9) you meet some people who stay close friends after minding has finished
10) I LOVE DOING THE JOB

Worst parts
1)job isnt secure, 4 weeks and you could be potentally empty! fours weeks and you could be full!
2)late payers, had a few of these over the past 7 years.
3)paperwork, ever growing amount,
4)restricted to when i take my holidays( only have two weeks a year) feel like i shouldnt take more due to families and no cover for them!
5)my children sometimes feel pushed out when they are there and babies need feeding, changing,
6)i didnt attend the meeting on monday at school because i had 2 children both needing changing and feeding int he middle of the meeting
7) waiting to find out if they are coming to sign with you
8) bitching by other minders
9)picky parents

Hope this helps, i think you either love this job or hate it, it can be extremely lonely, bitchy(depends on minders in your area and where you live) stressful and exhausting but then it can be the most enjoyable rewarding entertaining job in the world.

Follow how you feel and good luck with whatever you decide to do

xxxxxxxxxxxx

auntym
13-07-2010, 08:47 AM
My children were 6 and 7 when I started and been doing it 8 year now.
My first job was teacher so worked term time only. So there Is an option for you?
My kids loved the outings we would go on. Considering if I didnt do it id have to find something else and they wouldnt have me around.
We went out alot but also if one of your children are aged 8 they can still have a friend round same age and not come into you figures.
I feel the pro's outweigh the cons. If you can get the work.
Its a hard job but I love it

Blue Boy
15-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Hya Hope its ok for me to post this but I have beent hinking for a long time now about giving up my job working for the police (auditor) and becoming a childminder - enough thinking I thought - lets start finding out more - can anyone tellme the best parts and worst parts?

Another major and very important factor is I have children - a 6 yr old daughter and a 8 yr old son - I think they would be happy about it - I have spoken to them about it - has anyone else any experience of this? The only time I wonder if it would matter is the school holidays - as they wouldnt be able to go anywhere if I had many children staying - although there must be ways around this - like trips in walking distance such as the park - and then if I had two weeks leave in the holidays and we went then - any advice and help appreciated

I feel I have a lot to offer - I obviously love children, I love doing this with them playing, reading and I am an avid crafter - I often help out at school as it is with the reception and years 1 through to 3 children

Many many thanks for taking the time to read this

Elaine
x

Hi Elaine, I took early retirement from the Met Police 3 years ago after 35 years ending up as a Business Manager. I can honestly say it was the best move I have ever made:clapping: I used to leave the house a 6am and not get home until late. had to fight for a seat on the trains (if they run:angry: ) had to attend lots of meetings with people who didn't really want to be there. Have to answer to the powers to be ( now I only answer to my wonderful wife:rolleyes: )
Now when the sun comes out we go to parks and not be stuck in a office where you can't open windows, no more canteen lunches.

As I said it was the best move I ever made. I am now working with children and not adults who act like children:clapping:

blue bear
15-07-2010, 03:42 PM
its the best job ever for me (except on rubbish days lol) Have been minding for 13 years now, the hardest part was when children were between 8 and 13 - it's hard to mix babies and this age group so going for older children might be an option as a starter for you. I have l always taken on term time only children when I can as it is easier on my own. Also like part timers so I can juggle in the holidays and get a couple of days off a week.

Hardest part, talking about money, making parents stick to times annd not keep saying yes every time someone asks for extra - I've got much better at this as time as gone on.

I worked full time before, my two eldest went to a childminder then nursery, missed out on so much and netted so little once childcare was paid for. Struggled to begin with until work became regular, am always consious money not guaranteed.

WibbleWobble
15-07-2010, 03:52 PM
i dont have time to write lots but an example of a best part is

today sitting under my dining table covered in a sheet, sat on cushions, eating ginger biscuits singing wind the bobbin up with two 14 month old boys and a 2 year old girl.....bliss

mandy xxx

karensmart4
15-07-2010, 04:08 PM
i dont have time to write lots but an example of a best part is

today sitting under my dining table covered in a sheet, sat on cushions, eating ginger biscuits singing wind the bobbin up with two 14 month old boys and a 2 year old girl.....bliss

mandy xxx

We get to do the most lush things :laughing: :jump for joy: :D :clapping:

WibbleWobble
15-07-2010, 04:22 PM
We get to do the most lush things :laughing: :jump for joy: :D :clapping:
its all rock and roll here!:laughing: