PDA

View Full Version : Toys for under 3's

*donnalouise*
12-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Can I use toys that say 'not suitable for children under 3yr' with children under 3??? Obviously I wouldnt use any that are too small, or anything that has loose pieces, and always with supervision.

Like for example I have various instruments bells, maraca's etc... but it says 3+. My own 10 month old baby loves them - but can I use my judgement for my mindee's???

maisiemog
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure if we are meant to but a lot of my toys are ages 3+ and they are played with by younger mindees. I do store them higher up so that they can only be got out when they are being supervised. Like you it is mostly instruments that we only have out at song time. All but one of my mindees are over 1 now though and none of them are the sort to put things in their mouths which helps.

Make sure you cover yourself with a risk assessment etc just in case!

Ali56
12-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I agree with maisiemog, so long as you are sensible and supervise LO's then it's probably ok, alot of C/M's probably do-some of my instruments are the same, some toy farm animals too. Manufacturers put it on to cover themselves from complaints sometimes, I think. Risk Asses!!

Ali :)

*donnalouise*
12-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Thank you. Can I ask.. do you have seperate risk assessments for all your toys???
I have a general one on my daily checklist saying 'Toys out suitable for age and stage of children attending' (tick)
But do I also need to go through all my toys and doing for example -
"Happyland caravan set" - Suitable for all children - children under 1 must be supervised whilst using. Items checked for damage and small parts before using???

Ali56
12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't risk asses all my toys seperately unless there is a specific need(mostly garden toys) Obviously when you have very little ones you do need to be much more careful and I often keep seperate toys for them to make sure they are properly clean and safe-all toys are cleaned and checked regularly but i'm extra careful with babies under 1-1 and a half. You just need to use your common sense, each child is different, some will chew some wont etc but none of them are 100% predictable... no substitute for supervision!!!:laughing:

Ali x

The Juggler
12-07-2010, 08:30 PM
It's hard to keep them away if you are catering for the over 3's. I think sueprvision is the key (same as those things you get in the treasure baskets):)