PDA

View Full Version : Growing food...

*donnalouise*
12-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I am a newly registered childminder and have just seen an advert on freecycle - It is for land to grow fruit and veg on - its actually their very large garden, that they are willing to 'share', and 'share' the produce that comes from this.

I had a thought whilst reading this, and thought it would be fab to take the kids along once a fortnight or so, to 'help' with the growing. What do you think??? Is this is good idea? Obvioulsy I'd have to risk assess it first. Do you think its cheeky to ask if this is ok with them? (The ad gives the impression they are wanting people to put some 'work' into it, in return for the produce)

mama2three
12-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I would say it will be seriously hard work , more than the visits with mindees. I have a little plot in my garden and hardly find the time for it. Do you have spare hours to spend digging , weeding etc? If you have then it would be a marvellous learning experience for the mindees.

The Juggler
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I agree with mama. I have a small raised bed and it's hard work weeding that and the kids get the same enohyment out of planting and harvesting.

I'd get a couple of grow bags or lage pots hon.

youarewhatyoueat
12-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Lol at the once a fortnight!!!!
I used to borrow a garden with a friend which we grew lots on and shared the produce, Ofsted loved it BUT I spent at least an hour a day watering it and spent hours digging it and planting. We were there every day!!!
I did take the children to help, but to be honest it was much easier with a few growbags in my back garden as the little ones used to trample on my lovingly planted seeds. But it was great and we didn't buy any veg for ages.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
12-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I have a veggie patch in my garden, i grow, peas, runner beans, potatoes, lettuce, carrots, onions, tomatoes, raddishes and courgettes!! And i work a 50 hour week. :)

Once you have put in the hard work of digging it all over and planting the seeds, its just needs watering every 2 days and i feed it once every3 weeks.

The children love it, a mindee was so proud today when he showed his mum his peas and potatoes he had grown and couldnt wait to eat them for tea.

The parents think its great too.

I say go for it.

Pedagog
12-07-2010, 09:56 PM
We have a large plot in our own garden (used to have an allotment) and it takes at least half hour every day.

mushpea
13-07-2010, 05:59 AM
I have an allotment which in the recent hot weather i have been to everday to water ,, i spend at least 2hours every sunday (my time without the kids!) weeding and spent a lot more time on it when we were preparing it. I do take the kids occasionaly to plant, pick and eat stuff but its finding the time to take them there cause we do a lot of other stuff too. they do enjoy it and the wonder on their face when you open the pea pod and show them the peas is lovley but it is hard work as everyone else has said.

christine e
13-07-2010, 06:55 AM
My concerns would be who are these people and what other people would be going along, very risky when taking along young children. I go along to a community allotment but it is run by a childminder so I know she has been CRB checked.

Cx

huggableshelly
13-07-2010, 07:08 AM
it sounds like a good idea in principle but as you have already seen other members concerns

get yourself some cheap pots or ask through freecycle
grow your own with the children in your own garden

i have tomatoes, lettuce, pumkins, carrots and oinions all in pots and have all done well apart from the tomatoes this year