PDA

View Full Version : Diet foods

snufflepuff
12-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I have one mindee who brings her own food. Her Mum has been on a diet recently and LO has been coming with lots of diet foods- low fat yoghurt, 'trim' cereal bars, reduced fat cheese etc. She is 17 months and very slim. I was always under the impression that it is best to give full fat foods to children (unless GP says otherwise of course)
What do you think?
I was going to offer to provide food (fees would have to go up in line with everyone else) but if she is having all these things at home, 2 full fat lunches here will make no difference really!

miss mopple
12-07-2010, 05:17 PM
yes at that age children need the fats. I would just mention it to mum and be open tbh. She probably just hasn't realised/isn't aware that it may be a problem

The Juggler
12-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I doubt she's feeding her this for her 'proper' meals. She might jsut be throwing in some of her diet foods if she's run out of kiddie stuff. Why not get her a leaflet - lots of these diet foods have artificial sugars in which are even worse for kids than the lack of full fats.

miffy
12-07-2010, 08:49 PM
yes at that age children need the fats. I would just mention it to mum and be open tbh. She probably just hasn't realised/isn't aware that it may be a problem

I agree, I'd try talking to mum first

Miffy xx