PDA

View Full Version : What car do you drive, would you consider a minibus?

katie0183
12-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Hiya really odd question I know, but i drive a Peugeot 807 exec and have had no end of trouble with it. Now I'm registering my friend and was thinking about whether or not it would be worth getting a minibus instead of my peugeot, I mean its unreliable 7 years old now and we've just had the catalytic converter replaced, electric windows no longer fold in .. the list goes on. Anyway as I was thinking about registering for more children when with my assistant, how am i going to transport anyone around? She has her own car but am i allowed to do this?
Anyway does anyone own a minibus or know whether or not its worthwhile, would you do it? I know id have to apply to take the minibus part to my licence but anything else im missing? Does anyone own a minibus that they think is good and reliable? Or am i wasting my time with thinking about one?

Thanks! Kate

Sarah Louise
12-07-2010, 10:33 AM
I really want the mercedes vito. It's nine seats and you don't have to take a test as it only has eight passenger seats.

Just comes with a hefty price tag.
I can dream.

huggableshelly
12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
i wanted a 9 seater but stuck with my 7 seater and walked when i had extra mindees

you will need to ask ofsted regarding your assistant transporting children. I think providing they have first aid and you have parental permission it is fine but i also think there is a limit due to the ages of the children.

something else to consider .... when you go out and about would you all go together?

if you have 3 under 5's and need to pick 2 schoolies up would you take them or leave them with assistant to do school run on your own or visa versa?

can your own children travel in the assistants car to make room in yours for mindees?

Stillgoingstrong
12-07-2010, 11:15 AM
I've been speaking to Ofsted recently about an assistant - you obviously know that they have to have crb, but to be left alone with mindees have to also have first aid. Only saying this as I decided on a 7 seater Zafira 1.6 as is really cheap insurance, low fuel consumption, normal road tax and not too big to park in normal car parks, and if on the odd occasion I have "too many" mindees my assistant can take them in her car (with relevant insurance and parents permission). Personally for the extra cost of vehicle, extra insurance, higher road tax -now based on emisssions can be as much as £550 a year for bigger engine -I decided against the extra investment:)

rickysmiths
12-07-2010, 11:30 AM
No I wouldn't dream of buying a mini bus personally. I am a childminder not a nursery. I also wouldn't want to be using a Mini bus for my personal running around and holidays.

I'm surprised that Ofsted would increase your numbers so much when with an assistant that it would be worth the cost of Insuring and running a mini bus. If you have that many extra children what will you do if you or the assistant are ill or if your assistant goes on holiday?

angiemog
12-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I think if I have this right if you have more than 6 children you have to have planning permission aswell. x

christine e
12-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I think if I have this right if you have more than 6 children you have to have planning permission aswell. x

That is my understanding too

Cx

katie0183
12-07-2010, 01:34 PM
planning permission for what? I own my own house! Im not extending it!??

Didnt even know i had to do anything there, surely thats going to cost me money?

Ripeberry
12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
No I wouldn't dream of buying a mini bus personally. I am a childminder not a nursery. I also wouldn't want to be using a Mini bus for my personal running around and holidays.

I'm surprised that Ofsted would increase your numbers so much when with an assistant that it would be worth the cost of Insuring and running a mini bus. If you have that many extra children what will you do if you or the assistant are ill or if your assistant goes on holiday?

A neighbour down the road has a 20yr old minibus, she still has it as it runs well and although it has lots of rust it has always passed it's MOT.
She got it years ago to carry her kids around (she has 6) and now most of them are teenagers and she just drives two children around and 4 dogs! :D

babs
12-07-2010, 01:46 PM
i drive a Renault Megane Cabriolet and wouldnt dream of trading it in for a mini bus, cost me arm and a leg for car seats couldnt get any to fit but even that didnt made me trade in.. if i cant get us all in the car i walk, take the bus, and have even thought about dau trip to seaside on coach or train...

Chatterbox Childcare
12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Have a look at the cost as there are for and against for higher seated vehicles.

e.g. for - speak to the council as in my area any vehicle with 9 seats or more can use the bus lane (not gateways)

against - insurance and running costs

Hebs
12-07-2010, 03:45 PM

:panic: i have up to 11 children and not contacted the council, as for as i'm concerned i'm registered through the EY team they did my course and no one ever said a thing about having to contact the council for planning permission :rolleyes:

mum2two
12-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I did - and hated it!!!

When hubby went back to work, I still had 8 kids in the hols, so we sold our voyager & brought a citreon relay 9 seat minibus.

But, it was then also my car at the weekend, which I hated!!!! You're restricted by lots of places, as they all have height bars. Lots more than I'd realised before buying it, so just look at the places you go.

For example, one of the playschools I go to, has a height restriction, so it meant parking across the road, unloading them all etc...

It lasted about 6 weeks, then we sold it & brought another voyager!

A 9 seat one you don't need special insurance, MOT etc, as it's still classed as a car with 8 passenger seats. Any more than that, you have to take to special MOT places I believe, but definatley can only insure it through minibus insurers, which is more expensive, so you have to work out the cost of playing an assistant & the higher running expenses for a minibus, as to whether it's worth it...

xx

mrs lilly
12-07-2010, 07:57 PM
I used to drive a voyager and then got the newer shape galaxy, i then cut back to under 5's only and only ever have 2 and term time only at that so now I drive an X5, and no I wouldn't go back to a 7 seater much less a mini bus!!

little daisies
13-07-2010, 04:31 AM
i had a toyota highace minibus and loved it, it had 11 seats. i sold it a couple of years ago as we moved area and had less children i now wish i had kept it. i looked on my driving license and it states that i can drive anything upto 16 seats

rickysmiths
13-07-2010, 07:40 AM
:panic: i have up to 11 children and not contacted the council, as for as i'm concerned i'm registered through the EY team they did my course and no one ever said a thing about having to contact the council for planning permission :rolleyes:

It is the six you are registered for under 8. After that it doesn't count.

Tink
13-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Ha ha :laughing: just read your post and started laughing, I'm always saying to DH I could do with a mini bus for the school run, I want to have my logo down the sides like the Daddy Day Care movie

rickysmiths
13-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Have a look at the cost as there are for and against for higher seated vehicles.

e.g. for - speak to the council as in my area any vehicle with 9 seats or more can use the bus lane (not gateways)

against - insurance and running costs

I believe that if you carry more than 9 passengers you have to take a additional driving test and may be required to register as a taxi.

christine e
13-07-2010, 09:04 AM

A friend of mine has recently applied for planning permission after she was told that her insurance could be invalid.