PDA

View Full Version : any ideas?

angiemog
11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
:laughing: I have a 20month mindee who for the last 5 months has a huge obsession with hoovers. He will come up to me and say Voovar around 20-30 times a day maybe more. I have got him a toy hoover which he likes to play with but it's the big one he likes. As soon as he arrives in the morning he asks to see it, he waves goodbye to it, kisses it..... He cries if I say no he can't look at it, cries when I close the cupboard after he's had a look. I don't feel happy getting it out to let him play with it. I've tried ignoring it...... Any suggestions? I thought maybe cutting pictures out of an argos book and letting him do a collage. He likes to do beep beep on noses did the other mindees, I thought he was on his way to me but no...... stops at the hoover says beep beep on a button, then did beep beep on my nose.
He likes the mower in the shed too...... he's the same at home so it isn't just at mine. His parents had a star named wait for it....... hoover after him :laughing:
Any ideas??? x

The Juggler
11-07-2010, 09:18 PM
sounds just like my little one when he was little. I used to just open the cupboard all the time to let him see. Went on months but it did fade. Even now when dh comes home and starts hoovering he gets the toy one and follows him round picking it up to 'remove fluff' and look what he's doing.

I have a clearning trollye too which he loves - with bucket, mop, pretend spray, j-clothes and sweeping brush - worth a try?

funnily enough he is also obsessed with the toy lawnmower. I think it must be the motor/movement of both being similar. Go with it, follow his interests!

snufflepuff
11-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Well theres the obvious solution- teach him how to hoover your carpets, then everyones happy! :laughing:
Sorry, thats not very helpful, i actually don't have a clue what to suggest but this is very funny!

Pipsqueak
11-07-2010, 09:37 PM
a trip to currys/comet and examine all the hoovers there, then nip round to homebase/b&q/wickes for a looksee at the mowers.

I am not sure if I am being serious or not here tbh but you could give it a try!
Get him to see all the differences (and then see if teh salesman will give you a good discount:D )

cutting pictures out of mags of the relevant fascinations

phoneing the council and seeing when their cutting schedule is of grass verges/parks

once you have done all that I suppose you could go down all the electrical aisles in asda/tesco etc.

get a cleaning company round and then a gardener.....

hire a vax so he can see the water swooshing around

oh blimey I dunno!:D

ourmadhouse
11-07-2010, 10:21 PM
my own lo has this fetish, it started as soon as he could walk !
hes now four and still has it, i take him into currys and he thinks its a big treat to look at all the hoovers. The excitement on his face is priceless and his little feet dont keep still, ah i do love them when they are this big :D

ourmadhouse
11-07-2010, 10:24 PM
oh sorry me again just remembered when he first seen the buffers they use in school . . . hes now on first name terms with the cleaning ladys :laughing:

The Juggler
12-07-2010, 06:15 AM
oh sorry me again just remembered when he first seen the buffers they use in school . . . hes now on first name terms with the cleaning ladys :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: who needs toys???

little chickee
12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
My 3 yo mindee is also completly obsessed with hoovers. I thought it was quite endearing at first but after 4 hours a day 3 days week of "is that your hoover" "where does it plug in " when are you hoovering" " is that your hoover" "why is it there" "is that the cable" "is that your hoover" etc etc etc
I was absolutly demented.

I now allow him to see the hoover and talk about it for the first 15 mins and then tell him that i am not talking about the hoover any more and it is working.

I know i'm suppose to encourage his interest but i was going bananas - so i distract him onto something else.

marzi
12-07-2010, 09:58 PM
My 3 yo mindee is also completly obsessed with hoovers. I thought it was quite endearing at first but after 4 hours a day 3 days week of "is that your hoover" "where does it plug in " when are you hoovering" " is that your hoover" "why is it there" "is that the cable" "is that your hoover" etc etc etc
I was absolutly demented.

I now allow him to see the hoover and talk about it for the first 15 mins and then tell him that i am not talking about the hoover any more and it is working.

I know i'm suppose to encourage his interest but i was going bananas - so i distract him onto something else.

That's brilliant! :laughing:

RainbowMum
13-07-2010, 07:18 AM
With my DS it was clocks from the age of about 14 months to 2ish, any shape or size indoor or outdoor lol - he moved onto trains after that...

karensmart4
13-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Ah bless him (I can say that because he's in your house not mine) :laughing: Actually I used to look after a boy that loved to hoover for me at the end of the day, he was the last child to be picked up and he always got excited and waited for 'Henry' to come out of the cupboard. I used to 'very slowly' hoover with him holding on and helping, then when he got older I would turn Henry to the low setting and let the boy hoover the playroom himself....with supervision :clapping:
I think this was a mix of him loving Henry's, his Mum said its always 'Henry's' and him liking being 'important'. He's 8 now and his family still talk about it.
His other 'biggy' is boxes, he just loves boxes, boxes of every shape and size, his room is full of them, now and again he makes his Mum email me to ask if I've got any.
I know you shouldn't have your fav kids, but he's always been mine because of his character :thumbsup:

sweets
13-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Ah bless him (I can say that because he's in your house not mine) :laughing: Actually I used to look after a boy that loved to hoover for me at the end of the day, he was the last child to be picked up and he always got excited and waited for 'Henry' to come out of the cupboard. I used to 'very slowly' hoover with him holding on and helping, then when he got older I would turn Henry to the low setting and let the boy hoover the playroom himself....with supervision :clapping:
I think this was a mix of him loving Henry's, his Mum said its always 'Henry's' and him liking being 'important'. He's 8 now and his family still talk about it.
His other 'biggy' is boxes, he just loves boxes, boxes of every shape and size, his room is full of them, now and again he makes his Mum email me to ask if I've got any.
I know you shouldn't have your fav kids, but he's always been mine because of his character :thumbsup:

My 4 year old mindee loves my henry! his treat of the week is to hoover the lounge, he does a good job too! lol:thumbsup:

angiemog
13-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Ok I think I underestimated how many times he says hoover. He has been here 20 minutes and has already said it 38 times. I have given in and he is now playing with the big hoover. His mum said he was like it last night too and she let him play with hers at home. x

auntym
13-07-2010, 08:36 AM
My mindee always wants to hoover. With my henry hoover. Funny how my own kids never do lol x

karensmart4
13-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Ok I think I underestimated how many times he says hoover. He has been here 20 minutes and has already said it 38 times. I have given in and he is now playing with the big hoover. His mum said he was like it last night too and she let him play with hers at home. x

There comes a time when you just have to 'go with the flow' :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: