PDA

View Full Version : advice - playgroup or childminder

terrydoo73
10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Just looking for some advice ...

I have been a childminder for the past 8 years. My daughter is now at the stage of Primary 6 so want to spend a bit of time in the evenings helping her with homework etc. I presently only look after twin boys aged 2 for 3 days a week 10 hours each day so am between part and full time - the pay is not great £120 for the 30 hours and there is no immediate demand for another full timer is in view. I have been OK with the situation as it only really changed at the end of June but long term it just wouldn't pay - ideally I would like to be earning £200 a week to cover insurance, tax etc

There is a job just advertised in a local playgroup - 5 days a week from 8.45 am to 1.15 pm and the pay would work out at £175 a week. Unfortunately the closing day for application forms is Wednesday of next week. They are asking for basic qualifications of NVQ Level 2.

I am torn - it is good hours and means I have no mess with toys etc as well as the money is reasonable. Any advice?

miffy
10-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Get yourself a piece of paper and write down all the pros and cons for both jobs then see how your lists compare.

The playgroup job seems better hours and more money and it would allow you to be there to help your own child with homework etc.

Good luck whatever you decide

Miffy xx

terrydoo73
10-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks Miffy - I am really trying to weigh the pros and cons up at present and I think I need to talk to someone who has made the change and see whether it is worth considering for definate!

sarah707
10-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Is the playgroup term time only or all year round?

Is the £175 pro rata through the year or just term time?

That will make a big difference to your income if you are not earning through the holidays, especially the summer 6 weeks.

If it's an all year playgroup then you have the added worry of your child having to go to a childminder etc...

If it's term time you could keep on your registration and look for a holiday child to plug the gap.

Lots to think about.

Hth :D

terrydoo73
10-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I am assuming as most playgroups in NI it will be term time only which I don't really mind - at present I usually would make extra in winter time to give me something for summer time just so that I can have more time with my daughter. With the playgroup job I wouldn't have to pay out for my insurances, NICMA membership etc so I guess I need to sit down and work out those savings too.

TammyN
10-07-2010, 08:14 PM
i would be inclined to go for the job, see how u feel at interview, etc. a change is as good as the rest and im sure ur daughter will love having more quality time with u :)

terrydoo73
10-07-2010, 08:26 PM
That is the advice someone else gave me as they feel that you get a vibe when there but I am the kind want to think through all the implications before I take that step of putting in an application form.

Here are the pros for it:

1.reduced hours/better hours - at present I am working 8am to 6 pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
2.time for daughter when comes in from school
3.no insurances or membership fees etc to pay
4.less toys/equipment in house
5.my house is my own every day rather than being "invaded" and constantly needing to be tidied, cleaned etc
6.using qualifications I have to more productive means within playgroup setting
7.possible promotion in a few years time if desired

the disadvantages are as follows:

1.not my own boss anymore (which is a big thing for me personally as can do what I like when I like!)
2.job is not paid all year round only term time
3.travelling distance to job means I will have to leave house at 8.15 am ie not always seeing my daughter off to school each morning
4.letting down existing parent

DAWN44
10-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Hi , I am working at a playgroup at present. I am going to give this up once registered. I love my job but only morning sessions and minimum wage. There is no other hours available to boost up my money. I am struggling with money , I do lots of courses and have a lot of responsibility but still have very low wage. I know management think a lot of me and I love the kids but unfortunately this does not pay the bills.
I am looking forward to working for myself, i know it will be long hours, but love working with kids, and this seems the right thing to do, for me.
I think the hours and wages sound good for the job you are interested in and a playgroup job is so rewarding. Dont know if this is any help but good luck in whatever you decide to do x

Carpet Monkeys
10-07-2010, 09:42 PM
That is the advice someone else gave me as they feel that you get a vibe when there but I am the kind want to think through all the implications before I take that step of putting in an application form.

Here are the pros for it:

1.reduced hours/better hours - at present I am working 8am to 6 pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
2.time for daughter when comes in from school
3.no insurances or membership fees etc to pay
4.less toys/equipment in house
5.my house is my own every day rather than being "invaded" and constantly needing to be tidied, cleaned etc
6.using qualifications I have to more productive means within playgroup setting
7.possible promotion in a few years time if desired

the disadvantages are as follows:

1.not my own boss anymore (which is a big thing for me personally as can do what I like when I like!)
2.job is not paid all year round only term time
3.travelling distance to job means I will have to leave house at 8.15 am ie not always seeing my daughter off to school each morning
4.letting down existing parent

If it's term time only, could you not mind during the holidays to bump up your salary? Just a thought! I'm sure exisiting parents will understand, and I'm sure you'll be able to point them in the direction of a minder who has spaces and can help, and who possibly already know the children ... go for it, you can always turn the job down at the end of the day ... you've got nothing to lose!

selena 31
10-07-2010, 10:26 PM
i am currently in the opposite position as you and woundering wether to give up job in play group to childmind.
The hours you say are good for the mony as i work more than that but dont earn that much!
my gripes about working at playgroup are

very tiring we have 36 children and never feel like enough staff on!
frustrating carnt do things that you want with children have to do what boss says even if you feel its wrong!
always getting asked to work extra hours for some reason or another!
still lots of paperwork to do as key worker roles, planning meetings, staff meetings to do in evening!

i often feel very stressed and dont have a lot left in me for my children and hate not being home when there is class assembly , sports day got to get time off and working term time i have to take holidays in school holidays which costs a fortune and carnt afford to go then!

really think about it as it can be hard work in pre school too but i love working with children and its hard when you need the money like me x :)

juejue
10-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I would like to wok in the school nursery with 3 year old.

Have all the holidays off 13 weeks and still have a income.

Be able to have a tea break and lunch time :)

Be paid if I was off sick.

BUT....I think If one came up, I would :panic: I wouldn't know if to take it or not .

Good Luck on what every you decide :)

jo f
11-07-2010, 07:58 AM
go for it! u could still do holiday care if need be

MrsShell
11-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I agree totally with the comments Selena 31 has made.

I too, am in the opposite situation to you and want to leave the pre-school I work in to become a childminder, once I get some mindees.

We have 40 children per session and although we have the correct staff ratio, it never seems enough. I also have 6 key children and have to complete their files in my own time because no time in session to do this. I also have to provide activity plans per term, although I never seem to get time to carry them out! Also as Selena says there are planning and staff meetings to do in the evening, again in your own time.

Although I work term time I only get paid for 1 week at easter and 1 at christmas and 2 weeks in the summer, so do not get paid throughout the year as some might think. Also I dont get paid if off sick.

I really enjoy working in the pre-school but it is really hard work and my main frustration is not being able to interact with the children due to the amount of children in the group and having numerous other tasks to undertake at the same time. That is why I have chosen to be a childminder instead.

I am not sure whether 'the grass is greener on the other side' but I am going to give it a go.

I wish you luck with whatever decision you make.

Michelle x :jump for joy:

juejue
11-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I agree totally with the comments Selena 31 has made.

I too, am in the opposite situation to you and want to leave the pre-school I work in to become a childminder, once I get some mindees.

We have 40 children per session and although we have the correct staff ratio, it never seems enough. I also have 6 key children and have to complete their files in my own time because no time in session to do this. I also have to provide activity plans per term, although I never seem to get time to carry them out! Also as Selena says there are planning and staff meetings to do in the evening, again in your own time.

Although I work term time I only get paid for 1 week at easter and 1 at christmas and 2 weeks in the summer, so do not get paid throughout the year as some might think. Also I dont get paid if off sick.

I really enjoy working in the pre-school but it is really hard work and my main frustration is not being able to interact with the children due to the amount of children in the group and having numerous other tasks to undertake at the same time. That is why I have chosen to be a childminder instead.

I am not sure whether 'the grass is greener on the other side' but I am going to give it a go.

I wish you luck with whatever decision you make.

Michelle x :jump for joy:

The nursery school I am talking about all get 13 weeks off with pay.
My friend is off sick at the moment due to a broken arm and is getting sick pay, also another friend works as a dinner lady and gets the same.

I have a mum who works in a private nursery who only get 4 weeks holiday pay, but still gets sick pay.

karensmart4
11-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Reading between the lines, and I may be very wrong here....I think you have made your mind up already, just feeling a bit jittery about it.

Fill the application in, if you get an interview date, go for it. :)

sandy64
11-07-2010, 05:49 PM
hi i understand what your trying to do as it sounds great your own home back more time with dd. sounds a good choice but what if shes ill? or ocasional days off school have you someone to look after her? can you cope with someone being your boss?
if yes go for it if you dont you may regret it it is a big change but you no what they say a change is as good as a holiday i wish you good luck:)

The Juggler
11-07-2010, 08:28 PM
don't forget that pay would be subject to tax and NI (about 1/3) before you have your takehome figure hon but good luck with what you decide.

terrydoo73
15-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Well I made the decision and put in my application form today. It was more difficult to actually put down on paper how I could meet the needs of individual children in a playgroup setting. I guess that is what you get after being your own boss and doing your own thing for 8 years! It was explained to me that there was no person specification included with the application form as they were going to sift the applications to see who met the criteria first before the next stage so didn't need to give referees but just wondering now who I could actually give?

I had some advice from a friend of mine who has attended interviews in recent years and is presently working in a playgroup but in the administration role - basically she knows what they really look for in terms of job spec and interview because has typed up of the same! It was hard though to see how I could genuinely put down that I did x y and z with my children - it sounded like making too much of myself!!

Anyway the interviews are next week so it will be just a matter of waiting and seeing if I am shortlisted. The criteria was for NVQ Level 2 as being essential and desireable was first aid and special needs knowledge. I have NVQ Levels 2 and 3 and my experience over the last 8 years has given me a knowledge of things like autism, speech impediments as well as medical issues including asthma and allergies. One question that was asked was for how many years formal early years experience I had - I don't know about you all but I have been told so many times that childminding is not regarded as formal and find difficulty in arguing this angle. Has anyone ever come across this before and how did you deal with it?

mama2three
15-07-2010, 05:48 PM
you have been 'formally' registered and inspected by ofsted just as the playgroup has , and had to meet the same outcomes - so of course this is formal early years experience!

angiemog
15-07-2010, 05:53 PM
I think there are lots of pro's and cons. I love being my own boss and choosing what I do and where I go each day. (with the mindees of course)
There are days when I feel really tired and not 100% and can sometimes have a quieter day and letting mindees do more free play. Yes I do think sometimes it would be lovely to have my house back and have more regular hours and job security. My pros outway the my cons for me. That's what keeps me in this job! Good Luck with your decision. xx