PDA

View Full Version : Garden Question!

MiniDarlings
10-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey everyone!

My garden really needs a revamp and isn't safe enough for children yet (stinging nettles/bushes, grass is all bumpy etc!)

I was wondering if i have to get it done before ofsted visit or will they be satisfied if i say no children will be going out there?

I was thinking i can use the local parks etc until garden is complete and then ofsted could inspect garden before its used?

Any help appreciated, i don't want my rubbish garden affecting my chances of being a cm as my house is fine, its just the garden i have probs with!

Thanks x

jumpinjen
10-07-2010, 04:13 PM
It would look positive if you had made a 'garden development plan' before ofsted came, risk assessing each aspect such as 'fencing broken' 'dangerous plants' 'uneven ground' 'unsuitable equipment' and what you were going to do to address each issue and by when, so you could show ofsted that you would have a useable garden by January 2011 for example. You could go further to show the vision that you would like to achieve such as vegetable patches, wildlife area, sandpit, water play, chalkboard, natural play materials etc.

It would also be good if you had sketched out a daily/weekly timetable with outdoor time marked in and listed the places you will go to to be outdoors such as 'park' 'canal to feed ducks' 'nature reserve' 'children's free farm' 'other cm's garden for play' etc.

remember to risk assess the outdoor places you will be using, as well as the walk/drive there and back and the carpark!

hope that helps, Jenni

Mouse
10-07-2010, 04:27 PM
At my last inspection my garden was a mess as I was in the middle of doing some work & waiting for grant money to come through. It could be used, but with limits. I really thought it would go against me. Like Jen says, I did a garden plan. I put what the problems were, what I was going to do about it & what I wanted the final outcome to be.

I put in risk assessments & planning for how we would get outdoor play (the park, school run etc). I also put in a copy of my newsletter to parents outlining what was happening.

When I had my inspection, rather than it going against me, it actually went in my favour as the inspector said I had identified a problem & shown clearly what I was going to do about it :thumbsup:

Mookins
10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
just had my re reg inspection and said the area at the end of the garden is out of bounds until completed

showed her a plan of what we are hoping it to be like etc etc showed all the ra's i have for after its been done and she said thats fine...gave me action for it but said dont worry about being done in the 2 weeks aslong as its completed before i start as it is going to be fenced off that will be fine
x x

miffy
10-07-2010, 07:44 PM
You don't have to register your garden but if you don't you will have to show how the children will have access to outdoor play each day. As long as you show the inspector you have thought this through you should be fine

Miffy xx

MiniDarlings
11-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Thank you for all your replies! Im hoping to get it done before inspection, but its going to cost money that i dont have (always the way!)
I will make a plan and see how it goes :)
xxx