PDA

View Full Version : home insurance

julie w
10-07-2010, 11:47 AM
I have always insured my home, (buildings and contents) through the Homeminder insurance. I have been told they are being taken over by a different company and now do not cover me for any damage caused by minded children or pets and the excess has gone up to £100 from £50. So I am thinking of changing my insurer. I am finding it difficult to find good cover for a childminder so I wanted to ask which company other childminders choose and are they good? Thank you.

green puppy
10-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Have you looked at Morton Michel? They do insurance for childminders.

sarah707
10-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I use Morton Michel as they cover accidental damage by childminded children. :D

The Juggler
11-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Liverpool Victoria - allow more mindees and total children and cover for accidental damage on soft furnishings when minding.:)

Chatterbox Childcare
11-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I am with churchill and have accidental damage

tashaleee
12-07-2010, 07:18 AM

same here :thumbsup:

karen48
12-07-2010, 08:17 AM
I have used bluefin/Axa for the content insurance for last 2 years. Last Jan we had a tank burst in our loft doing 90% damage to the house, bluefin use lost adjusters Crawford and co. Bluefin have been good but the lost adjusters Crawford are a nightmare I am not going with them again when I renew in Nov. They had the least to pay out on the claim and they were so slow in dealing with our claim you phone them and the guy dealing with our claim would never answer the phone, it would take him 3 or 4 days to get back to you after leaving a message. Building insurance is with the AA who use MMA now they have been fantastic we have had to have the whole house redecorated top to bottom new kitchen/bathroom and they have done all this without us having to argue until we are blue in the face. Every room in the house was damaged. I got Bluefin from who minds.

Karen

sarah707
12-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I have used bluefin/Axa for the content insurance for last 2 years. Last Jan we had a tank burst in our loft doing 90% damage to the house, bluefin use lost adjusters Crawford and co. Bluefin have been good but the lost adjusters Crawford are a nightmare I am not going with them again when I renew in Nov. They had the least to pay out on the claim and they were so slow in dealing with our claim you phone them and the guy dealing with our claim would never answer the phone, it would take him 3 or 4 days to get back to you after leaving a message. Building insurance is with the AA who use MMA now they have been fantastic we have had to have the whole house redecorated top to bottom new kitchen/bathroom and they have done all this without us having to argue until we are blue in the face. Every room in the house was damaged. I got Bluefin from who minds.

Karen

I am so sorry to hear you have had problems with your insurance.

Can I advise you to write to NCMA outlining your complaints. If they are not told what is happening they will not be able to make changes.

Hugs xx

Donkey
12-07-2010, 09:01 AM
hi

i use morton michel for buildings and contents and am covered for accidental damage for minding children.

They do have a limit to the amount of minded children you can have at any one time but I did get it increased.
it used to be 6 it is now 7.

I didn't have 7 minded children as the extra one didnt need to come :)
most I tend to have is about 4/5

rickysmiths
12-07-2010, 09:32 AM
I have always insured my home, (buildings and contents) through the Homeminder insurance. I have been told they are being taken over by a different company and now do not cover me for any damage caused by minded children or pets and the excess has gone up to £100 from £50. So I am thinking of changing my insurer. I am finding it difficult to find good cover for a childminder so I wanted to ask which company other childminders choose and are they good? Thank you.

They were taken over by Blue Fin a few years ago now. They are supposed to offer accidental damage as their insurance is tailored to the needs of childminders. If they are no longer offering this then I auggesst you contact NCMA ans speak to someone like <name removed at persons request> about it.

I am with Churchill and have been for years, they insure my family for accidental damage and have always covered the minded children, but it changed for me in Dec 2009 when I renewed. A lot of my childminder friends have found when renewing this year, that accidental damage for minding is no longer covered.

I have commented in other threads though, why do we need accidental damage as childminders? Our houses are made child safe so there should not be anything of great value that could be broken or damaged by the children. We have a tax break of 10% of our income to cover wear and tear. I, touch wood have never had a breakage that has been so expensive that I felt I needed to claim on the insurance. I feel that a bit of a fuss is made about needing such cover to be honest.

rickysmiths
12-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Churchill are no longer covering Accidental Damage for your childminding business, though it included in the Policy to cover your family. Debbie, if you have renewed recently I would double check exactly what they have covered you for.

Pipsqueak
12-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Karen

PLEASE ring or email the customer services manager. he has recently taken on this post is very keen to hear from members about their experiences (good and bad). If we don't tell them about our experiences of aspects of their services then there is nothing they can do to change or make it better.
These companies are representing NCMA and NCMA are using their services - all in the name of getting the best deal and representation for US - their members.
Please do speak to Richard Aris - Customer Services Manager.

Carol M
12-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I am just in the process of renewing. Had Homeminder with Bluefin and just got details of new Aviva policy.
It states under a childminder endorsement that.....
Accidental Damage Cover if selected extends to cover damage caused by your minded children.
So if you say you want this cover and not just the Standard Cover all is the same as Homeminder.
I have just spoken to them and they have confirmed this is correct so apart from the excess increase to £100 from £50 I have the same cover but it has gone up by £8 per month which I thought was acceptable.
Carol xx

Chatterbox Childcare
12-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Churchill are no longer covering Accidental Damage for your childminding business, though it included in the Policy to cover your family. Debbie, if you have renewed recently I would double check exactly what they have covered you for.

ummmmmmm only my own children would break something - never the childminded ones!!! he he

Mrs Pootle
16-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I recently switched to Morton Michel and couldn't be happier.

manjay
16-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I am just in the process of renewing. Had Homeminder with Bluefin and just got details of new Aviva policy.
It states under a childminder endorsement that.....
Accidental Damage Cover if selected extends to cover damage caused by your minded children.
So if you say you want this cover and not just the Standard Cover all is the same as Homeminder.
I have just spoken to them and they have confirmed this is correct so apart from the excess increase to £100 from £50 I have the same cover but it has gone up by £8 per month which I thought was acceptable.
Carol xx

I am the same. I wouldn't have gone with them again if it was still AXA as they made a right pigs ear of an earlier claim.

MM quoted me LOADS more:eek: .

rickysmiths
16-07-2010, 09:17 PM
ummmmmmm only my own children would break something - never the childminded ones!!! he he

Those are my feelings as well. Made a terrible job of disciplining my own :rolleyes:

claire1980
20-07-2010, 10:19 AM
we have just changed ours to direct line as only good one we could find to cover both me as a childminder and my hubby expensive taste in bikes lol... excess great and has accidental damage on too.

maisiemog
06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm with More Than. They cover me for childminding accidental damages and my excess is only £75 which I thought was ok. It costs us about £14 a month so reasonable as well!

TheBTeam
14-08-2010, 10:50 AM

I have just phoned and Churchill have offered two policies standard with no acc damage and a premium one with acc damage, and that is with both husband and wife as childminders, I did this cos Santander after 4 years of being told about my Dh childminding, they still had his old occupation on the renewal notice, when i rang them to tell them they withdraw contents cover full stop!

moljak
14-08-2010, 11:51 AM
If you don't use a cash back site check them out.I went via a well known site and paid £87 for a yrs contents insurance and got £90 cash back.Doesn't make sense I know but the cashback was paid :D