PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a bored 10 yr old????????

maryp0ppins
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi all

I CM a 10yr old boy after school 2 days a week & all day during holidays 2 days a week. He Say's he's bored quite a lot....

I set games up, play board games with him (as a group too) Have drawing comps, go out to the park, I have a Nintendo wii (which i allow them 1 hour during school hols, He would be on there all day if i let him though & he would be happy to sit & watch the TV all day too which i think he does at home)
I have a trampoline in my garden, tennis games & tents to name a few things....

XXX Say's he's bored almost as soon as one activity finishes or even half way through & doesn't want to play any more....
I ask him what he'd like to do & i get shrugged shoulders..:(
Would you guys just leave him to it, i do feel like I'm waisting my time even trying. He is a sweet boy, with a heart of gold & very polite...but an absolute nightmare to entertain.

miss mopple
09-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Yep, i'd leave him to it tbh. You are providing plenty of fun stuff for him and so it sounds like attention seeking to me. My daughter is the same- its just their age.

You could ask him what he would like to do and get him involved in the planning, but if he's anything like my daughter all I get is 'I dont know :rolleyes: '

Good luck- they are hard work at that age

gigglinggoblin
09-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I have a 9 and an 11 yo and they are also bored whenever they are not on the tv or computer!

Stuff we do -
go to field to kick football around
library to choose own books
drawing, mine prefer to have their own paper and pens rather than share with the little ones
hama beads
lots of little plastic soldiers, animals etc which they set up in massive displays
junk modelling, preferably on a huge scale - think boxes you can sit in
taking photos and making movies on digital camera
lego
making their own dressing up stuff with cardboard or fabric
playdough or salt dough
baking

other than that I would ask the mum what he likes and if she minds him being bored. its harder if it isnt his house, when mine are left to be bored they always find something in their room to do so its a bit tricky for him.

merry
09-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I look after a 10 year old boy and he's the same, always bored. I just tell him it's good practise for being a teenager when being bored all the time is compulsory and leave him to get on with it. There's plenty for him to do, it's up to him to make the effort to do it. The latest thing that's captured his interest and put a (temporary) stop to the boredness is a crime lab investigation kit, we've all been finger printed and there's dusting powder all over my window sills and bookcases :laughing:

:)