PDA

View Full Version : Want to study and further my knowledge but not sure what to do...

MissTinkerbell
09-07-2010, 09:31 AM
I've now been childminding for almost 2 years now and am keen to further my knowledge. My local early years team have just changed the format of our training packages and there are very few courses that interest me that are held weekends and evenings - they are maily courses for people starting out and not those of us who want to extend their knowledge.

I am a member of the network and am able to access a few interesting courses through that but once again not many.

I come from a teaching background and already have a BTEC National Diploma in Nursery Nursing and a B.Ed (Hons) in early years so doing the DHC or a foundation degree in early years is probably a waste of time.

My network support co-ordinator has suggested the EYPS as apparently they are bringing this is in so you can do it via distance learning so I suppose thats something.

I would also like to extend my knowledge and understanding of the development of the under 3s as I feel that this is an area of weakness in some ways - despite having 3 children of my own!!

Anyone have any ideas or have done any courses that relate to the above things. All suggestions gratefully appreciated.

The Juggler
09-07-2010, 06:49 PM
i'm signed up for EYPS in Sept but waiting to see what happens with this new Gov't before wasting my time doing it.

If you have your degree in early years the choice is probably PGCE but that's back to teaching or you could look at the post grad in integrated centre management if you're looking more to branch out of minding but not go back to schools?

moljak
10-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I am old style NNEB :)
I'm currently doing a Cache level 3 Certificate of Professional Development in work with Children and young people.

I do one mandatory unit which is Unit 1 Individual Professional Development and then 2 chosen units.The group I am with is doing unit 3 Designing programmes for early learning ( EYFS)

We can then choose our own unit.I'm currently thinking through my options as there are 22 to choose from.
There is unit 20 which is Working with children under 3
or
unit 2 which is advanced practice in working with babies.

These would probably cover what you want.

It may be worth seeing if this is available in your area.If it's not and you can get a group of likeminded people together they may consider putting a course on.My group have a childminder, nursery manager, toy library workers and a lady who works with children with mental health problems.It's been great so far and I'm learning loads as everyone brings something different to the group.We as a group decided what days suited us and times and fitted it in to work for us and the teacher :)

Good luck

sarah707
10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I have a degree but it was still interesting updating my knowledge with an OU level 4 course.

I am hesitant to go with Eyps as I'm not sure it's going to be around for much longer and I want to stay in minding so it's of little use for my professional development.

It's not going to get me more money either!! :rolleyes:

I am just doing little courses to further my CPD rather than big things at the moment.

:D

MissTinkerbell
21-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I am old style NNEB :)
I'm currently doing a Cache level 3 Certificate of Professional Development in work with Children and young people.

I do one mandatory unit which is Unit 1 Individual Professional Development and then 2 chosen units.The group I am with is doing unit 3 Designing programmes for early learning ( EYFS)

We can then choose our own unit.I'm currently thinking through my options as there are 22 to choose from.
There is unit 20 which is Working with children under 3
or
unit 2 which is advanced practice in working with babies.

These would probably cover what you want.

It may be worth seeing if this is available in your area.If it's not and you can get a group of likeminded people together they may consider putting a course on.My group have a childminder, nursery manager, toy library workers and a lady who works with children with mental health problems.It's been great so far and I'm learning loads as everyone brings something different to the group.We as a group decided what days suited us and times and fitted it in to work for us and the teacher :)

Good luck

This sounds good.

Sarah - I know what you mean about the EYPS - I feel exactly the same.

coolfm
21-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I know we can't be sure what's happening with EYPS but as someone who's (supposed to be) working on it, I can say that one of the best things about it for me has been the opportunity to do a variety of modular courses, specifically aimed at EYPS candidates and run at postgrad level (and all funded.) I know this depends on the place you do the course and what is on offer in your area. I don't know whether I'll ever actually finish EYPS, but some of the courses I've been able to do in working towards it have been great.

MissTinkerbell
26-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I know we can't be sure what's happening with EYPS but as someone who's (supposed to be) working on it, I can say that one of the best things about it for me has been the opportunity to do a variety of modular courses, specifically aimed at EYPS candidates and run at postgrad level (and all funded.) I know this depends on the place you do the course and what is on offer in your area. I don't know whether I'll ever actually finish EYPS, but some of the courses I've been able to do in working towards it have been great.

What sort of things have you covered?

piglet1973
29-07-2010, 07:22 PM
im a 1992 NNEB and currently doing e100 of foundation degree ...finding it difficult to study again...and to find time and now wondwering what i will gain other than knowledge cos i certainly wont earn any more lol