PDA

View Full Version : school holidays

claire85
09-07-2010, 06:21 AM
Hi everyone just neede bit of advice. In the school holidays i sometimes look after a family friends little boy - (he lives across the road !!!) Mum and dad have split up but even when they were together ifound that they didnt tell me if i needed to have their son till either the night before of sometimes on the day , which putts me in a difficult position - the saying don't mix business with pleasure is so true !!! lol. Was going to speak to dad about it this afternoon and tell him that i need to know before but dont know how to get around it , i know it sounds silly but i dont want to say something and make it seem like i dont want the child . Thanks x

TammyN
09-07-2010, 06:25 AM
i have sent a small note to my ad hoc mindee's this year just stating that i need to know dates before the hols as i am planning activities. etc and any dates not booked maynot be available after this time! im not full but want to plan ahead so this is my plan!!! so far i have had 1 parent reply with provisional booking :panic: not quite what i planned but........it's a start!

little chickee
09-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Just explain that unless you get advanced notice - 48hrs maybe - then you might not be able to have him and they will be left with no childcare.

Make sure that if you do not get a suitable amount of notice that you say you cannot have the child - even if you could you must say no so they learn that you mean what you say.

claire85
10-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys , i know some people do take advantage , think im going to have to put my foot down !!! x

julie w
10-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I have the same problem with a brother and sister I look after. I am paid for the full week so mum cant see the problem when say at 10 am she'll text and say they decided to have a lie in that day and wont be coming. I've tried to explain that although she has paid me for the week I need to know so I can plan things. She said if I let her know any trips she'll make sure I have the children but sometimes if they dont come and I just have 2 other little ones I can go to soft play or similar. She just cant see it. :(

miffy
10-07-2010, 07:34 PM
I give parents a letter with all the school holiday weeks on and ask them to fill in when their child will be coming and what times and send it back to me. I put on it that if they don't book a place it might not be possible for me to have their child at short notice and that whatever they book they will have to pay for even if they later cancel it.

At least this way I know what I'm doing.

Miffy xx