PDA

View Full Version : sharing a fun (but smelly) activity

Pipsqueak
08-07-2010, 05:13 PM
this is really hands on stuff.

an EYP proudly showed me her activity today and I must admit it was a good one

It may be a bit smelly potentially, bit messy

she got the tuff spot (but a paddling pool or something similar would do)
put some water and ice chips in

went to morrisons and bought - (wait for it)

a rainbow trout (whole)
an octopus (whole including ink!!!! apparently on cheap sale at the moment)
and some prawns and crabs (whole)

put it all in the tuff spot and the kids LOVED it, especially the octopus

she was going to just freeze the fish/crusticians and reuse them for different groups.

My mindee P didn't want to come away but we'd only popped into the center to see someone when the EYP dragged me in to show off her 'creation'.

I thought it was quite innovative!!!

sandy64
08-07-2010, 05:18 PM
yuk bet it was smelly lol glad they all enjoyed it but think il stick to the plastic things lol :laughing: :laughing:

HomefromHome
08-07-2010, 05:19 PM
this is really hands on stuff.

an EYP proudly showed me her activity today and I must admit it was a good one

It may be a bit smelly potentially, bit messy

she got the tuff spot (but a paddling pool or something similar would do)
put some water and ice chips in

went to morrisons and bought - (wait for it)

a rainbow trout (whole)
an octopus (whole including ink!!!! apparently on cheap sale at the moment)
and some prawns and crabs (whole)

put it all in the tuff spot and the kids LOVED it, especially the octopus

she was going to just freeze the fish/crusticians and reuse them for different groups.
My mindee P didn't want to come away but we'd only popped into the center to see someone when the EYP dragged me in to show off her 'creation'.

I thought it was quite innovative!!!

Brilliant apart from the highlightd bit - surely there is a risk of salmonella if they are re frozen all the time - you cant refreeze things once defrosted. i know you're not eating them but kids can easily put their hands in mouth during....

might have to do the whole fish bit tho!!!!!! cats would love it after!!!!!:D

Pipsqueak
08-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Brilliant apart from the highlightd bit - surely there is a risk of salmonella if they are re frozen all the time - you cant refreeze things once defrosted. i know you're not eating them but kids can easily put their hands in mouth during....

might have to do the whole fish bit tho!!!!!! cats would love it after!!!!!:D

I think she was only refreezing overnight and getting back out for groups tomorrow. Will email her though because that is a really valid point.

Actually it wasn't smelly at the time - fresh fish isn't smelly iyswim but it could have the potential to be!!!! :D

HomefromHome
08-07-2010, 05:37 PM
yeah i would!!!! as i seriously think there would be 'health' issues iykwim
brilliant idea for a one off tho - will definately think about getting a whole fish maybe of different sizes? mmmmm

angiemog
08-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Ewwwwww, nice idea but not for me. I have used water and plastic fishes a few times with fishing nets. I'm not sure that any of my mindees would touch real ones.

mum26
08-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I know it is a good idea but, no matter how much the mindees might enjoy it, I just couldn't. I know I am being very hypocrytical but I couldn't play/examine dead fish.

Glad the children enjoyed it though.

miffy
08-07-2010, 06:51 PM
No, sorry I don't fancy that at all so my poor mindees will have to stick to the plastic fish! :D

Miffy xx

Cammie Doodle
08-07-2010, 06:56 PM
The reception teacher at our village school does this every year with her new class, they love it. I seen it when I worked in the Nursery that adjoins her classroom. One LO was so absorbed in what she was doing it was brill to watch. Have to say I dont fancy it on my decking lol I have enough probs with cats in my garden

Pipsqueak
08-07-2010, 07:12 PM
got to say the Octopus was fascinating but P was more interested in the trout!

angeldelight
08-07-2010, 07:22 PM
No, sorry I don't fancy that at all so my poor mindees will have to stick to the plastic fish! :D

Miffy xx

Same here :laughing:

Sounds like fun though

Angel xx

The Juggler
08-07-2010, 08:34 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: for a minute Pip, I thought this was going to be another thread about smearing!

sounds fascinating though

Pipsqueak
08-07-2010, 09:06 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: for a minute Pip, I thought this was going to be another thread about smearing!

sounds fascinating though

wewwwweeeeeewwwwww GROSS.

Poop Flinging as a an activity - interesting! lol

Chell
08-07-2010, 09:26 PM
EEEEEEeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww, I couldn't touch that or touch a child that had touched it. :eek: :blush:

Chell
Vegetarian stinky fish hater.

ajs
08-07-2010, 09:57 PM
i'm eeewing but strangely intrigued
if i can get some reduced fish on sunday i will do it as an activity on monday

i know the kids would love it though

francinejayne
08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I would hurl big time, it's making me gag thinking about it - yuk!!!

suzyblue
09-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Our local nursery did this and it looked GROSS but the kids loved it!

angeldelight
09-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Our local nursery did this and it looked GROSS but the kids loved it!

I can imagine :eek:

Not only that how much would it cost I wonder?

Angel xx

HomefromHome
09-07-2010, 06:41 AM
:laughing: :laughing: at all the ewws, but some of you are intrigued!!!

well it'll be interesting to see if there are any fishy stories on here next week!!!!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sweets
09-07-2010, 06:53 AM
eeuww sorry buts that not for me :panic: :panic:

im all for messy play but think thats a bit disgusting :panic: :panic:

christine e
09-07-2010, 07:02 AM
I really don't like the sound of this one. Playing with food that is intended for the dinner table. A big no no with me!

Cx

manjay
09-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Well I am a fan:thumbsup: It is a perfect way to let the children explore the animals and the learning opportunities are great. Hubby often goes fishing and brings me a trout back:D

I think I too would have said not for me if our tutor at uni hadn't been so passionate about it. She also suggested exploring a freshly dead bird in the same way. You can open and close the eyes, see how the wings open and close. Things you would never get the chance to do with a live one. Of course it needs to be supervised and you wouldn't use a bird that had been lying around for days but a friend had a bird fly into her window the other day and her children loved exploring.

angeldelight
09-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Well I am a fan:thumbsup: It is a perfect way to let the children explore the animals and the learning opportunities are great. Hubby often goes fishing and brings me a trout back:D

I think I too would have said not for me if our tutor at uni hadn't been so passionate about it. She also suggested exploring a freshly dead bird in the same way. You can open and close the eyes, see how the wings open and close. Things you would never get the chance to do with a live one. Of course it needs to be supervised and you wouldn't use a bird that had been lying around for days but a friend had a bird fly into her window the other day and her children loved exploring.

A dead bird ? :eek: :eek:

My goodness we had a bird fly into our window recently and I would not let the children go anywhere near it

Just could not imagine letting them go over to it and letting them try to open the poor birds eyes

NO NO NO NO

Angel xxx

Pipsqueak
09-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I can imagine :eek:

Not only that how much would it cost I wonder?

Angel xx

The EYP said she'd spent just under £8 in getting these bits (I asked thinking whole fish, octopus etc would be expensive)

Polly2
09-07-2010, 07:40 AM

I brought in a dead baby bat on my washing the other night. Poor little thing! I must admit I called all the kids to take a look as it was so beautiful and you would never get the chance to see one up close really would you! We didn't prod and poke though!! Had a burial in garden after :D The kids were fascinated.

manjay
09-07-2010, 07:44 AM
I brought in a dead baby bat on my washing the other night. Poor little thing! I must admit I called all the kids to take a look as it was so beautiful and you would never get the chance to see one up close really would you! We didn't prod and poke though!! Had a burial in garden after :D The kids were fascinated.

See I am obviously learning something on this course! I would never have been so open minded before:rolleyes:

angeldelight
09-07-2010, 07:47 AM

A dead bat Holly :eek: :eek: :laughing: :laughing:

You know how I get scared of anything that flies - I would have had a fit and I def do not want to see one up close even if it is dead

Oh you are really giving me the creeps now :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xxx

angeldelight
09-07-2010, 07:48 AM
The EYP said she'd spent just under £8 in getting these bits (I asked thinking whole fish, octopus etc would be expensive)

Thanks Pip thats not bad is it

Still not sure that I would want to try it :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

Polly2
09-07-2010, 08:30 AM
LOL angel :laughing: Bats I can cope with ... fish? maybe not - I can't even eat them because I can't bear how they feel!!

So maybe children exploring fish is good then they won't grow up like me :laughing: :laughing:

marzi
09-07-2010, 08:32 AM
What a good idea! Where else are children going to get to touch an actual octopus? Thats going in my planning folder now lol. I definitely wouldn't freeze and defrost them though and you're supposed to cook fresh fish within 24 hours so don't buy it too far in advance.