PDA

View Full Version : Recommend toys when starting out

RCTLisa
08-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't want to end up buying lots of items and for them not to be used. So I am making a list of items to buy. so far I have

Jigsaw puzzles
Books
Soft toys & dolls
Lego/Duplo
Wooden train set
Let's pretend - kitchen/shopping or similar theory
Art Easel (plus crayons & chalks)
General art & craft stuff - paper, pens, pencils, crayons, scissors, glue etc
Sand & Water table

I also have a Wii for the older ones

What are essential items when starting out?

flowerpots
08-07-2010, 04:29 PM
i started out with less than u have listed :-> then when i got started the lo's sort of requested things or i bought things that i knew would interest them. dont think you need to go crazy buying things before you start. hth :-)

miss mopple
08-07-2010, 04:30 PM
It depends on the ages of kids you mind but faves here (apart from what you have mentioned) are

dressing up
cars and garage
plastic animals (elc ones)
dolls house
builder/garden tray fso you can fill with rice/oats/water etc etc
dollies

onceinabluemoon
08-07-2010, 04:34 PM
I bought a fabulous wooden railway and all that happened was they broke it, never really played with it as a railway at all, so if I was starting again I'd go for some really tough cars and a garage rather than a wooden railway...

RCTLisa
08-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks

I want to make sure I have something ready. I should have a under one of my own so that side should be ok just the slightly older ones. Don't want ofsted to say I don't have enough available

The Juggler
08-07-2010, 04:59 PM
def. a sandpit and a potting tray (the tuffspot type) from the garden centre for messy play and smallworld.

Also lot of different mark making stuff, brushes, chalks etc indoor and out.

good luck

Monkey26
08-07-2010, 05:23 PM
On my first inspection my recommendation was 'continue to develop resources for children of different ages, including sensory play materials for very young children'. Vague, but the sensory side of it might help you xx

sarah707
08-07-2010, 05:38 PM
My lot love building so I have lots of Lego and blocks which they combine.

They are also into making things so paper, card, scissors, craft stuff, glue etc are must haves.

I have 2 book boxes - one for babies which is mostly board and sensory and one for older children.

I found my book sacks weren't getting accessed so each week I take one out and put it on the shelf in a basket... it gets lots of use this way!

Cars and trains and some track they can put together...

Car boot sales and charity shops are good places to start. Then local NCT and other sales... you'll be amazed how much you pick up :D

RCTLisa
08-07-2010, 05:43 PM
We are planning to go to a few car boots so will have a look but want to get myself a basic list so I don't go mad :eek: