PDA

View Full Version : Should I take a contract for 1 day per week?

beckyteddy
08-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not been on for ages, but I need a few opinions/advice, if anyone has got their sensible head on today!?

A very good friend of mine has asked if I will mind her daughter for just one day per. week. Initially she asked for 3 days, then it went down to 2 and now it's just for one. I do trust her and she is very honest and reliable, she would definately stick to a contract once it has been agreed, so it's not working with a friend that I'm worried about. I'm more worried about taking the contract with her for just one day and then struggleing to fit other potential contracts (worth more money) around the Friday that will be taken up with my friend. I've got 2 under 5's spaces so I would still have a full-time space available if I took my friends little girl.

Am I worrying over nothing, or should I be asking for a minimum contract of 2 days per week. What would you do?

Any advice-pro's-cons-gratefully received x

miffy
08-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I only work 3 days a week and within that I have children who come for all 3 days, 2 days and 1 day!

I like having a different mix of children each day, always have done. It has sometimes meant that I've only one space left on one day but more often than not I've managed to fill it as people take up that space and then wait until they can get the two or three days they want.

My advice is go for it!

Miffy xx

angiemog
08-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I have mixed views. It does restrict you somewhat from taking on a full timer but, there are also people who look for part time from 2-4 days a week. One of my mindees parents liked me and went with the days that I had available. If I had a space I would take the one day as you never know when another mindee may come along. Also part timers do add variety to your week. I actually like both my full timers and part timers. So sorry probably not much help. x

beckyteddy
08-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys, I'm taking it all in......

haribo
08-07-2010, 12:38 PM
ive a one day a week starting in sept! i have charged a slightly enhanced daily fee . i have an idea it may increase though as gran does the other days and needs bit of a break so may get more days. its worth it for me as i havent much on in sept as 2 start nursery .

venus89
08-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Personally I would, in your situation. After all you'll still have a full time place left as well as 4 more days. But it does depend on demand in your area - are you likely to have 2 full timers coming along soon?
I've never had a full timer - the most I had was 4 full days from one child and from another, a SS child whose hours did vary depending on mum's health, we got up to about 4 and a half at one stage.

candy cat
08-07-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm in same situation.....do I don't I ??I have a full timer and a part timer and thought I had it all sorted....my full timer is leaving due parents new job...:panic: So I am now looking for part timers and then at least your not relying on one persons fees.Also must make the week really interesting.

sweets
08-07-2010, 01:23 PM
i was in a similar situation, my friend wanted me to have her little one day a week, just to give her a break as recently she became a single parent. i said yes and we do tend to stick to the same day but she is flexible and sometimes change his day to fit in with others or i havnt any other children on his day then i change his and have the day off. could your parent maybe be flexible in case someone comes along and wants a friday?

grindal
08-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Why not have a short notice period written into your contract? I look after a little girl for 1 day a week (because it fitted in really well with my 4 day a week mindee), but Mum and I agreed a 7 day notice period in case either of us came across anything that suited us better!

That was a year ago now and I am starting looking after her eldest before and after school in September!

maisiemog
08-07-2010, 03:14 PM
All of my mindees are part time. Two only come one day a week, one 2 days and one three days a week. I've had dozens of enquiries since I started and not one of them has been a full time one. And I am now full Mon-Thurs which is what I intended to work when I started minding so it's worked out quite nicely for me!

Polly2
08-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I would go for it, all mone are p/t and you never know she may need more days further down the line.

The only trouble I have had with a child coming 1 day a week is sometimes they take longer to settle but it depends on child and age.

Ripeberry
08-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Go for it! When I had my eldest daughter, I decided to do a course from home and needed 'quiet' time so I found a CM who had one full-time child and then I put my daughter in for one day a week (6hrs)
Eventually, my second child went to her as well once my eldest went to pre-school.
But in those 4 yrs or so, my CM asked me to move my day around and I accomodated her, so eventually she had lots of full-timers :thumbsup:

beckyteddy
08-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks so much everyone, it's so nice to have all of you guys to ask questions like this. I think I will say yes to my friend. She won't be able to swap her day around as she has a set shift pattern at her work, but I really would like to look after her little girl for her.

And you are right about the way part-timers seem to fill up around each other, it worked that way for me a couple of years ago, it's just that I started with children who wanted 2 or 3 days and then filled the spaces around them, rather than starting with a one-dayer and filling up the other way.

I'm glad that most of you think I should go for it......as I think that's what I wanted to do anyway!

The Juggler
08-07-2010, 08:38 PM
i had 2 brothers 1 day/week, then went to two. I have another boy on a friday (leaving tomorrow:( ) been with me 2 years. The good thing about part-timers is it doesn't totally wipe you out financially when one leaves.

miffy
08-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks so much everyone, it's so nice to have all of you guys to ask questions like this. I think I will say yes to my friend. She won't be able to swap her day around as she has a set shift pattern at her work, but I really would like to look after her little girl for her.

And you are right about the way part-timers seem to fill up around each other, it worked that way for me a couple of years ago, it's just that I started with children who wanted 2 or 3 days and then filled the spaces around them, rather than starting with a one-dayer and filling up the other way.

I'm glad that most of you think I should go for it......as I think that's what I wanted to do anyway!

Hope it works out for you and it may increase to 2 or 3 days later.

Miffy xx

christine e
08-07-2010, 10:26 PM
4 years ago I took on a little boy for one day a week - wasn't keen to do one day a week but another childminder encouraged me to take it on. One day became two and then three and then five. He has recently gone back down to three days as mum on maternity leave but come Sept he starts school and I will have him every day before and after school and his lovely baby sister full time.

Cx