PDA

View Full Version : "Satisfactory " and gutted!!

loopy lou
31-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi.

Well Ofsted have been and gone! :clapping:

Stayed for just over 3 hours.

Arrived 15 minutes before the said time, i kind of knew that would happen.
The whole morning went very well. Asked if I had any toys that promote strong images, said i had puzzles of people with disabilities etc but "No" not any toys, said I hadn't really seen any! Inspector was very complementary about the way I answered Mindee's questions and how I talked to them etc.

Asked me why I didn't wear gloves to change bab's nappy, I said I have never in all the 20 so years of looking after kids, wash my hands thoroughly with an anti bacterial soap before and after! Asked why i didn't have an antibacterial soap for the mindees, i said I use the Johnsons pump soap and thought the antbacterial stuff would be too harsh for children!?

She mentioned about my drain not having a cover on, i said i had ordered one, that you cut,as have 3 pipes leading into it, thought this would be ok as there is a bin infront of it anyhow?

The outcome, Protectting children from harm or neglect and helping them stay safe: GOOD.

Helping children achieve well and enjoy what they do : GOOD
The other 2 got a Satisfactory, and inspector said i got a "satisfactory" overall!

So yes am GUTTED!

Loopy Lou:clapping:

Minnie Minx
31-03-2008, 04:13 PM
oh hunny i'm sorry to hear you're gutted. I don't know what to say.

Big hugs to you

xxx

littlestar
31-03-2008, 04:14 PM
why are you gutted? sounds as though you did very well very professinol well done chin up you done exellent:clapping:

flora
31-03-2008, 04:23 PM
oh Hun, what a bummer!
I got satisfactory overall, even though I got good for all but one thing. Some inspectors are hard to please.
It sounds like you did a professional job during the inspection and if the kids parents are happy. One of by mums is a teacher, when I had had my inspection she asked how it went and I told her.
Her answer was " oh well, who gives a s**t what OFSTED think we all know they are a bunch of silly b*****s!"
May be you should follow my "parents" lead.

wendywu
31-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry you feel so down Lou. But satisfactory does mean you are meeting all the standards. But i know you feel as if all your hard work has been for nothing. It is not fair as it so depends on who you get.

But at least it is out of the way now. I know it wont make you feel any better but Twinkles who has had an outstanding from last Oct (i think) says it has not made a blind bit of difference to her filling her places. Chin up.

I think the only reason i am always full is i live within walking distance of two local schools, and walking distance from 2 train stations with main lines through to London and Croydon. Also i am not at the top end of the price range for this area.

crazybones
31-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I dont know what to say to you apart from I am sorry you are gutted. As has been said before some inspectors are a lot more picky than others. I know of people who have been given good and I think What!!!???

Noodles
31-03-2008, 04:43 PM
As others have said you got a satisfactory which means you are doing everything right.
At the end of the day its what the parents think of you and not what impression OFSTED get in the few hours they are with you.
So dont be gutted you done well:clapping: :clapping:

angeldelight
31-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I agree with everyone else

Do not be so hard on yourself

I do not wear gloves either

I would imagine after 20 years experience there is a thing or two you could tell Ofsted

Big hugs to you

Angel xx

ajs
31-03-2008, 04:54 PM
i don't blame you for feeling gutted but you really shouldn't
she was picking you up on the silliest things

i don't wear gloves and don't intend to start now so don't worry and now thanks to manin white coat i don't use antibac soap either

you are an outstanding childminder to us and your parents don't take any notice of that silly ofsted inspector what would she know xxxx

charleyfarley
31-03-2008, 05:01 PM
I agree with everything everyone else has already said

You know you are doing everything right and so do your parents so why get upset over some woman who doesn't really know you.

You are a damn good childminder just remember that.

A big hug is sent

Carol xx

sarah707
31-03-2008, 05:06 PM
What a picky inspector...

I think you've done incredibly well to get 2 goods from someone like that...

well done you! :clapping:

Pipsqueak
31-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Don't feel bad about your grading - you have passed and to be honest you know in your heart of hearts that you are a brilliant childminder.
To be honest the gradings are wrong wrong wrong and need to be changed to better reflect childminders and their acheivements.
Many parents don't have a clue about Ofsted and what it takes to get certain gradings all that matters to them (parents) is if their children are safe, well and happy (I know that a lot goes into doing this!)

I too have stopped using anti-bac things, I have never used gloves (can't get away with them) and don't think I'll be starting now either.

Don't be too tough on yourself - some inspectors work to their own agenda (I am sure) and set the standards as they go along.

No - be proud of yourself and congratulations with your inspection:thumbsup:

loopy lou
31-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Ahh. Thanks alot guys.Really mean that.

You know it's funny though have only been looking after the 2 mindees for about 5 weeks now, only 2 days a week, the older mindee is so protective really. Obviously her mum must of said something, but when asked if i had any toys that promote strong images, mindee piped up, we have that doll from Africa, and then went on to talk about the lack of water in the country and children getting sick!! I was so proud of her!! When asked by the inspector why we wash our hands, mindee with a very much matter of fact look answered,"cos they are dirty", as if to say , " you silly fool".

Feel much better. At the end of the day I really enjoy what I do and the kids in my care are happy. I told the mum about the outcome she said that as far as she was concerned that have great care and are very happy going to my home.

Thanks again chaps.

angeldelight
31-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Your children love you and the parents think you are great

you have fun with the kids

That is much more important to me than any ofsted grading

You are a smashing childminder so just remember that

Well done Lou

Angel xx

wendywu
31-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Well we all know what we think about Ofsted on this forum, i would not let them choose my childminder for me if i needed one. Not one word about hugs and cuddles and love and care, just PAPERWORK. What a load of old TOSH:panic:

Trouble
31-03-2008, 06:06 PM
you have been doing it for 20 years what the hell do they know

well done you for sticking to it:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

you do an excellent job stuff them:thumbsup:

loopy lou
31-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Do you know though she didn't really look at the paperwork!! I stated in one of my policies about organic gardening, growing veg, teaching children about where food comes from, not buying processed foods, making everything from scratch, and i got "satisfactory " for keeping children healthy!!

sorry don't mean to sound off, but she asked if she could have copies to read of the policies at home, i told her that i have copies on file, which are on the computer, she said never mind! Obviously didn't read much did she?

ruby
31-03-2008, 06:31 PM
sorry you are upset about your grading but what do Ofsted know

you must be doing something right otherwise you would not have been doing it for 20yrs
as long as the people who matter thing you a great childminder ie parents and children which they obviously do otherwise they would not leave their children with you

then i wouldn't worry what your inspector says.
in our eyes you are a great childminder

cathy

Spangles
31-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm sorry you are feeling down about your grading.

I can completely understand how you are feeling though as I would be the same.

What everyone else has said is right though so try not to let it bother you too much - easier said than done I know!

xxxx

katickles
31-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Just wanted to say keep your chin up - sounds like she was very very harsh in her grading & i wouldn't worry about it to much. Well done on the inspection going so smoothly & your mindees sound like they think alot of you! :)

jmoff
31-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I am sorry to hear that!

What a picky inspector!

Jana x

miffy
31-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Sorry if you are upset by your grading but you know that you are doing a great job your mindees love you and their parents are not bothered by Ofsted's opinion

You have a lot to be proud of so don't worry about one Ofsted inspector's opinion

Miffy xx

ma7ie
01-04-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm sorry you're upset about your grading too. I've not had my inspection yet, even though I've been registered since July last year. I know that when they come I'll be terrible because I'm not good in those sort of situations. I know I'm a good childminder and have loads of resources and my policies and documentation are good, but I will have problems trying to answer questions and remembering all the stuff I know about ECM and the national standards.

Keep your chin up and remember that your mindees and parents love you and that's all that matters.:D

Banana
01-04-2008, 10:13 AM
You shouldnt be so down on yourself!!

Satisfactory means you are doing everything you should be!!! Well done you!!!

She sounds like she was after blood, I wouldnt worry!!!

Congratulations on your grade!! :clapping:

xxx

avril
01-04-2008, 11:22 AM
I dont know what to say to you apart from I am sorry you are gutted. As has been said before some inspectors are a lot more picky than others. I know of people who have been given good and I think What!!!???

Sorry you are gutted but agree with Annie some inspectors are very picky and yes I know of a local cm who got good :eek: and I wondered WHY!?

Avril x:)

Heaven Scent
01-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey there chin up she is an awl cow who doesn't get any grading on my scaleometer so there. I don't believe she was doing her job right is she left without reading all your policies - I think she was in a rush to finish work early and what is the point in her reading your policies at home once she gave you your grading - she had a ****** cheek to ask for that I'd complain about her if she has made you feel that bad or at least ask for a re-assessment if you feel that strongly about it - I don't think she behaved well at all. She might have been having a bad day and took it out on you but that is very unprofessional. - I cant make head nor tail of these inspection reports I've read a few done by the same inspector and the comments all seem similar yet childminders have been given different grades - how does that work?????????????

Pauline
01-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Don't be gutted babe, Satisfactory should be renamed in my opinion, because it is a very good grade and shows you are meeting the standards but just need a few changes.

It's a shame that they use the overall option. A friend of mine got 3 good and 1 satisfactory but still got overall satisfactory, it is so unfair because that is not the overall grade if 3 out of the 4 were another grade

elaineg
01-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Each inspector seems to look for different things, what one thinks is outstanding another seems to class as satisfactory, they should get their head together and come up with a fairer system.

love elaine XX

Rubybubbles
01-04-2008, 01:36 PM
sorry your feeling down about it, but wanted to say well done to you;)

Monkey1
01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I think its who you get and what side they got out of bed that morning that predicts what you get!

TracyL
01-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Well I think you should have got a "Good" at least!
Tracy xx

nannysue
01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Just sending you a big hug, i'm sorry you are feeling down about your inspection. As others have said all that matters is that your parents know how good you are and your mindees are happy in your care. I don't think some inspectors live in the real world and the rest of them havn't a clue about our work. They just need to tick boxes!!! Keep up the good work:thumbsup: Sue X

loopy lou
02-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi.

Thanks for all your lovely messages.

This is such a great site.

I asked in the toy Library today if they had any "disability" toys, they told me that the only thing they have seen is a lego type wheelchair, something from Balamory, other bits are books and puzzles which i have, just out of interest has anyone else got anything else?

Twinkles
02-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I have a black doll with a leg missing ......does that count ?

Seriously though you can get bits and pieces that are'nt too expensive.
Little tykes bus has a person in a wheelchair.

Heather
07-04-2008, 12:00 PM
It has really helped me to read this .It helps to know you are not alone.I only got satisfactory and was left in tears .I am still months after struggling to find my usual motvation.I was told there wasnt enough variety of healthy food and the sugar free drinks had e numbers in. The way I recorded childrens attendance was questioned the inspector claimed it should be to the exact five minutes but the ncma attendance register says approx times