PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else taken on a 6 month old?

tetti
08-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi everyone:)

I am currently advertising a vacancy,and have had alot of enquiries from parents with 6 month old babies.I currently look after a 2 and a 3 year old,and have never taken on a child under the age of 1 before.
I am just worried how a 6 month old would fit into my setting,as obviously,a child that age needs much more "one on one" as they cannot walk,feed themselves etc,and the children currently in my care can obviously play together and enjoy eachothers comnpany in a whole different way.
Did you find that it takes a 6 month old much longer to settle in?
I am just concerned as to me,it's a very young age to put a child into ft childcare,but I understand that that is very common:)
Any advice appreciated xx

RedDragon
08-07-2010, 09:57 AM
For me that age is the easiest to care for. Food, little play, milk, little play, nappy change, sleep - repeat lol

crazyhazy
08-07-2010, 10:01 AM
I prob won't be much help but I have a 6m old starting with me in Sept, I'm looking forward to it cos I love babies! My own daughters will be 2yr and nearly 4yrs. I'm not too worried about how she'll fit in because with my own two I'm used to a similar age difference, yes she'll need more one to one but my two are pretty independent at meal times etc now so I have spare hands. I'm also figuring from the twice I've met the baby she'll settle pretty quickly, at 6m they don't really have any seperation anxiety etc, I'm more worried about the 14m old starting in march cos with my two that's been the worst period for leaving them!

Nadine Beazley
08-07-2010, 10:02 AM
I agree. I've got a four month old and he's the easiest of the lot!! They also settle alot quicker as they haven't got to the stranger danger stage yet (where they hit 8 or 9 months and scream at anybody who isn't mummy or daffy! lol)

Nadine x

little chickee
08-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I have minded a couple of children from 6 months old and agree with Red Dragon that they can be easier to care for than toddlers.

I currently have a 3yo, 2yo, 18 months, 5yo after schooler and am soon to start a 9month old and am looking forward to her starting.

Ripeberry
08-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I would so love to care for a baby that young....sigh!

onceinabluemoon
08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
i had a six month old and a seven month old at the same time (with a variation). The 6 month old was the original Heinz baby, very easy to care for but the 7 month old screamed all day every day for months. Bizarrely they changed places as they got older and the 6 month old at 14 months started hitting pushing biting etc whereas the noisy 7 month old is now a little angel, lol!

I now care for a 2 month old who I've had one day a week since she was 3 weeks old.

Mouse
08-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Most of the children I've looked after over the years have started at or before 6 months old.

They do need more care in as much as you need to feed them, change them, carry them round etc, but I actually find them the easiest age to look after. It doesn't take much change to your routine, perhaps just a bit more organisation so you've got everything you need to hand.

I find that while the older ones are doing an activity, the babies will sit watching, or play quite happily near by. Then when the older ones are playing happily, you give more time to the baby. It just tends to work itself out as you go along.

Cammie Doodle
08-07-2010, 11:56 AM
The younger the better for settling in I find, I would much prefer them to come at this age although I fully understand why Parents want to stay at home with their LO for as long as poss, but wish they would bring baby to me say one day a week from 6mths till they go back to work fulltime, its easier on Mum/Dad baby and me .

sfox2003
08-07-2010, 11:59 AM
One of my first mindees was only 6 months old. She was a screamer though and I felt she was taking too much time away from the others - it wasnt fair.

Mum had moved her around a lot too diff nurseries & childminders so it wasnt the childs fault - they couldnt settle. I told mum about the crying & she moved her (again:( )

Personally I wouldnt really want to take anyone under 1 again because of this bad experience. It took too much time away from all the other children. I know Im daft though - your baby will probably be fine. Some people prefer under 1's.

Good luck whatever you decide.

miss mopple
08-07-2010, 12:58 PM
The youngest one I have taken on was 12 weeks (50hrs a week!!) and it was a doddle compared to having bigger ones. If your older ones play well then I dont see it would be a problem and it would be good for them to have a baby around :thumbsup:

Hebs
08-07-2010, 01:51 PM
My youngest mindee was 6 months old when she started and she's been no bother and its been great seeing her do her firsts!

hayleychildcare
08-07-2010, 03:36 PM
The youngest one ive took on was 10 weeks old 4 days a week.

He has just had his 1st birthday and still comes 4 days a week.:thumbsup:

He is the easiest to look after :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
08-07-2010, 03:57 PM
When I started childminding it wasn't unusual to have 6-7 week olds because that was when paid maternity finished so lots of people had to go back to work then.

The youngest I have had is 12 weeks, my first mindee 16yrs ago and then I had a 14 week old a couple of years ago. I have a 6mth old starting in Sept.

caz3007
08-07-2010, 04:24 PM
My first mindies were siblings age 5 months and 16 months and my own DS was 23 months. I had no problems with them. The youngest one reached a lot of physical milestones early as he wanted to keep up with the other two.

onceinabluemoon
08-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I fully understand why Parents want to stay at home with their LO for as long as poss, but wish they would bring baby to me say one day a week from 6mths till they go back to work fulltime, its easier on Mum/Dad baby and me .

This is why the 2 month old comes into me one day a week, when she starts full time later in the year it will be soooo much easier for her, her mum and all of us here.

moljak
09-07-2010, 10:51 AM
I've had mindee since 5 mths and she's an angel :)

Her last day today as they're moving from Northumberland to Devon :(
Too far to travel lol

~Chelle~
09-07-2010, 12:33 PM
For me that age is the easiest to care for. Food, little play, milk, little play, nappy change, sleep - repeat lol

:thumbsup:

Just what I would say. Mind you the last 6 month old I took on is now my 3 year old mindee:blush:

Chimps Childminding
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I had one start at 6 weeks, and to be honest that bothered me a bit, but he is still with me and is a lively 3 year old.

I have a new one starting in August who will be 9 months by then. She was due to start at 6 months but mum decided to extend her leave and take some unpaid leave through the summer. Having said that the lo has been coming to me for a few hours each week since March so that she got used to me so it wont be such a problem (hopefully).

Most of mine tend to come at the 5/6 months stage and I haven't had too much of a problem with any of them so far!!!

Twinklestars
09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
i took on a 7 month old when my ds was 3 months old with a variation and they are great together, just have to feed 2 at once sometimes!!

karensmart4
09-07-2010, 10:33 PM
We have had lots of children from the age of 12wks, they are lovely :D they have stayed with us til they start school and we still have some that come back for the school hols :clapping: I wanted to start an equipment library for all the baby stuff that you need but no one had the storage room :(