PDA

View Full Version : ECat

Helen Dempster
07-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Have any of you heard of a new project that's out there, called ECat (Every Child a Talker)? My son's nursery has become part of this, but he'll be leaving for big school in September so it won't apply to him, but I just wondered if it's something I, as a childminder, need to be addressing? Although my hubby tells me I never SHUT UP, and our son's the same, so I must be doing something right :blush: :laughing:

brightstar
07-07-2010, 08:04 PM
I haven't heard of it, but you sound just like me. From 7:30am to 6pm I am constantly in conversation with someone :laughing: :laughing:

Tink
07-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I have done training on this and it is very helpful. It's about talking to children straight out and not using baby language.
For example, a child picks up a train, choo, choo, we the adult say that's right it's a train, a train goes choo, choo.
So were not saying no it's a train, were just assisting the child to think about the object rather than the sound.
Another example: Moo cow, that's right a cow says moo.

I was also told that if we ask a child a question such as would you like orange or blackcurrant? we should count to 10 in our heads as it takes some children's brains just that bit longer to register the question being asked.

It's fascinating, I'm doing the final section in the next few weeks.

sarah707
07-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I think Pipsqueak was involved in this a while ago... sure she'll be along soon :D

Tink
07-07-2010, 08:14 PM
http://publications.everychildmatters.gov.uk/default.aspx?PageFunction=productdetails&PageMode=publications&ProductId=DCSF-00854-2008

Download the book here

lesley
07-07-2010, 08:46 PM
I have just finished doing this too. I thought it was brilliant. It makes you think more before you speak. Here is a good website and you can download chatter cards.

http://www.coventrytalknow.co.uk/downloads/list?site_category=6

Lesley

Pipsqueak
07-07-2010, 08:57 PM
:) like Sarah says I have been heavily involved in this for 18months or so and its very beneficial to all settings to know about it, if anything for reinforcing what we do is right (it has been shown that childminders generally are more equipped in how we implement speech and language).

funnily enough I have just been on some SL training tonight.

ECaT is about assessing your environment - a place to talk, a place to listen, stimulating environment with open ended possibilities etc. its about modelling and recasting good speech, reinforcing as someone has already explained, supporting the parents and where to go with help.

buildingblocks
07-07-2010, 09:47 PM
This is being piloted in our area and I attended a workshop about it recently. Came away pretty much none the wiser but am going to acces it as soon as I can as I know one of hte practitioers locally and no doubt it will be brilliant to do

uf353432
13-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm involved in the pilot scheme in my area on this as well. They hope to roll it out to all settings next year after the results of the pilot scheme. I think in our area there are mainly preschool settings on the scheme and I was asked as one of 3 childminders to take part. Universally its agreed that CM seem already to be pretty advanced not just with dealing with children but also with parents. So a huge boon for our industry.

sarah32
13-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I have done training on this and it is very helpful. It's about talking to children straight out and not using baby language.
For example, a child picks up a train, choo, choo, we the adult say that's right it's a train, a train goes choo, choo.
So were not saying no it's a train, were just assisting the child to think about the object rather than the sound.
Another example: Moo cow, that's right a cow says moo.

I was also told that if we ask a child a question such as would you like orange or blackcurrant? we should count to 10 in our heads as it takes some children's brains just that bit longer to register the question being asked.

It's fascinating, I'm doing the final section in the next few weeks.

I did a taster session on it at the weekend at out AGM.

Exactly as said above.

They havent given us dates for courses yet but I want to do it when they do, was really interesting

Playmate
13-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm attending a taster session on Saturday, sounds interesting :D

christine e
13-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm doing it at the moment and really enjoying it! And being paid to do it!

Cx

Chell
13-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I did a taster session on it at the weekend at out AGM.

Exactly as said above.

They havent given us dates for courses yet but I want to do it when they do, was really interesting

I was in that session too. :D

lou lou
13-09-2010, 07:38 PM
i am attending a half day coursse this saturday so hope it will be good

green puppy
13-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I am doing this training this saturday aswell.

lou lou
14-09-2010, 06:44 AM
where are you doing the training

sarah32
15-09-2010, 07:12 AM
I was in that session too. :D

Was you:)

The story was funny