PDA

View Full Version : Wormery

sarah707
31-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I quite fancy giving one a go this year...

I've found this site -

http://www.thekidsgarden.co.uk/GardenActivitiesCategory.html

Does anyone have any suggestions? :D

angeldelight
31-03-2008, 04:02 PM
We have this one

http://www.wormcity.co.uk/shop/childrens-wormery-p-28.html

Although you can get them cheaper at Woolies - the tank type

Or make your own which is simple

The kids love it

Angel xx

sarah32
31-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Thats weird, was just about to start a thread. My daughter was bought a small womery for her birthday, its just one from argos.

We got it out on sunday, dug some worms up and put them in, comes with lots of different material, you just add a bit of soil to make up the layers.

We only managed to find a couple of small ones so not been able to see them in the womery very well but were going out again tomorrow to hopefully dig some bigger ones up.

The kids think its brilliant.

angeldelight
31-03-2008, 04:04 PM
If you sprinkle some water on some soil and leave it for a bit you usually see lots of worms come up in the garden

Angel xx

Tatia
31-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I want a compost wormery for the garden. You throw in your kitchen scraps and at the bottome there's a "juicer" nozzle where you drain off the liquid that the worms make and use it on your plants.

sarah707
31-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Thank you! That's brilliant info... :D

buildingblocks
31-03-2008, 05:28 PM
http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/

check this out they do wormeries. I am due one from here eventually as it was my Christmas pressie unfortunately Gary had no money at Christmas so I wouldn't let him buy it and when he was going to get me one a few weeks ago flaming bills came in

sarah32
31-03-2008, 05:37 PM
The desktop womery looks like the one we've just set up but alot cheaper. I think it was £12.00 in argos.

manjay
31-03-2008, 09:08 PM
If I can persuade someone to find the worms for me I might have a go! It will fit in perfectly to our world/environment theme for April

amanda xx

miffy
31-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Sorry to say I do not fancy this at all - just not a worm person :panic:

miffy xx

Wiggly
31-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Reading this thread has stopped Wiggly from wiggling - Wiggly does not like worms.

Good luck to you all partaking though.

Wiggly
x

Donkey
31-03-2008, 09:42 PM
i got a wormery for my birthday and it is ace

I dont like worms, wouldnt pick them up or anything but I am really taking to my 'boys'
pair of vinyl gloves and I can stick my hands in.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Worm-Tower-Dendrobaena-128ltr-Composting-Wormery_W0QQitemZ350042417573QQihZ022QQcategoryZ75 665QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is the one I have, nikki and graham are lovely, the reason why I went for this wormery is because they give you ongoing support. and I have emailed them quite a few times with random questions and they have responded quickly.
for example when it snowed and I didnt know wether to bring the wormery in. we left it outside on their advice and my boys are fine.

plus its educational for the mindees too.

Tily Bud
31-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Thats weird, was just about to start a thread. My daughter was bought a small womery for her birthday, its just one from argos.

We got it out on sunday, dug some worms up and put them in, comes with lots of different material, you just add a bit of soil to make up the layers.

We only managed to find a couple of small ones so not been able to see them in the womery very well but were going out again tomorrow to hopefully dig some bigger ones up.

The kids think its brilliant.

Have you got a composter in the garden / my dd went to put some peelings in ours yesterday and came running back in screaming that it was swarming with worms :eek:

sarah707
01-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Have you got a composter in the garden / my dd went to put some peelings in ours yesterday and came running back in screaming that it was swarming with worms :eek:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sarah707
01-04-2008, 06:43 AM
i got a wormery for my birthday and it is ace

I dont like worms, wouldnt pick them up or anything but I am really taking to my 'boys'
pair of vinyl gloves and I can stick my hands in

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Worm-Tower-Dendrobaena-128ltr-Composting-Wormery_W0QQitemZ350042417573QQihZ022QQcategoryZ75 665QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is the one I have, nikki and graham are lovely, the reason why I went for this wormery is because they give you ongoing support. and I have emailed them quite a few times with random questions and they have responded quickly.
for example when it snowed and I didnt know wether to bring the wormery in. we left it outside on their advice and my boys are fine.

plus its educational for the mindees too.

Thank you for the link! I will investigate :D

Donkey
20-04-2008, 01:37 PM
did you get one sarah?

sarah707
20-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I intend to get one as soon as my patio is done... which is now booked for sometime in the next 2 weeks when it's not raining and he can fit me in!

We're all very excited! :D

Donkey
20-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I went to take the stuff from the kitchen out to the wormery, had a little poke about with my vinyl gloved covered finger and we have babies!!!!!!!!

baby worms were looking at me, it was only 1.5cm long, I am so proud :D

manjay
20-04-2008, 02:47 PM
This thread reminded me so i have just ordered mine! I think it is fab to be able to have it just outside the door so I don't have to traipse down to the composter at the bottom of my garden. I will let you know how I get on

sarah707
20-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I went to take the stuff from the kitchen out to the wormery, had a little poke about with my vinyl gloved covered finger and we have babies!!!!!!!!

baby worms were looking at me, it was only 1.5cm long, I am so proud :D

Awwww! How sweet! :D

Donkey
20-04-2008, 04:34 PM
This thread reminded me so i have just ordered mine! I think it is fab to be able to have it just outside the door so I don't have to traipse down to the composter at the bottom of my garden. I will let you know how I get on

did you order the one that I posted the link for?

manjay
20-04-2008, 05:07 PM
did you order the one that I posted the link for?

I don't think it was your link! I am very fickle and wanted a round one:D

elaineg
20-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Where do you keep a wormery are you not worried they might get out, my son wanted a ant one a few years back but I was worried they would all escape and be all over the house.

love Elaine XX

manjay
20-04-2008, 07:40 PM
It goes outside and makes compost from your kitchen waste. If you read all the info on the sites it is really interesting how it works.

We have done loads on recycling and sustainability this month and I had promised the children I would get one. Hopefully I will get it within the next few days

angeldelight
20-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Hope you and the kids have fun Amanda when it arrives

Angel xx

manjay
26-04-2008, 01:41 PM
It arrived and has now been set up! I did not have to touch one worm! Thanks to Kate for the link. Some pictures here if you want to have a look.

http://cheekyrascalz.blogspot.com/

amanda xx

Tatia
26-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Amanda, where did you order your's from? I like the look of it cos it would kind of blend in and not be so noticeable. Does it have a nozzle to collect the "worm juice" for your plants?:D

And also, is it practical for all composting or would you realistically need another composter , too? I figure worms can only eat so much. I have another composter at bottom of the garden but wouldn't mind giving wormies the good bits, hehe.

And finally, did it come with the worms or did you have to dig them up?

I've been dying for one of these but the cold has made me forget about gardening. Today, I finally got my hands well and truly in the soil and I was saying to my husband how I want a wormery. Funny this thread surfaced again!:clapping:

manjay
26-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Amanda, where did you order your's from? I like the look of it cos it would kind of blend in and not be so noticeable. Does it have a nozzle to collect the "worm juice" for your plants?:D

And also, is it practical for all composting or would you realistically need another composter , too? I figure worms can only eat so much. I have another composter at bottom of the garden but wouldn't mind giving wormies the good bits, hehe.

And finally, did it come with the worms or did you have to dig them up?

I've been dying for one of these but the cold has made me forget about gardening. Today, I finally got my hands well and truly in the soil and I was saying to my husband how I want a wormery. Funny this thread surfaced again!:clapping:

It does have a tap for worm juice! I got it from www.wigglywigglers.co.uk. It is not cheap but you can either buy it on it's own or complete with the worms. Part of the reason I chose this one is because it looks ok on the patio. I think as a family we would probably produce too much waste for it so the rest will go in the composter at the bottom of the garden. Saying that there are 3 trays so I will have to see. The children have had great fun this week deciding what to put in it and I swear they are using masses of loo roll so we can put the cardboard in:D

amanda xx

sarah707
26-04-2008, 04:16 PM
It sounds great fun Manjay! I am waiting on my patio... then I'm all planned and ready to go! :D

Tatia
27-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks, Manjay! That link is fabulous. I'm thinking I'll order the desktop or worm home as well, so kiddies can watch the worms in action.

Now if I can just convince my husband to go for a couple of hens in the garden, I'd be well and truly happy.:D

hello kitty
27-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Eerrgh, worms just don't "do" anything for me - no chance of me having one even though I know they are environmentally and educationally sound.:panic: