PDA

View Full Version : Poor Child :(

Gizmo
07-07-2010, 05:41 PM
One of my mindees parents have read somewhere that giving a child Calpol when they have a fever causes more harm than letting the fever go through the child. The poor soul has had teething pains and has spent most of the afternoon screaming, if it had been earlier in the day I would have phoned them to collect, when dad picked him up told him lo has a sore mouth and has been pulling his ears I said a spoon of Calpol would help ease the pain only to be told the above again, I was a bit sharp with dad and said would you take painkillers for a headache its not fair on your child to make him suffer, I prob spoke out of turn but :angry: if he is like this tomorrow they will be getting called

~Chelle~
07-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Good grief:angry: I would say that unless there is documented evidence, written by several Doctors to support this, they should ignore it.

Poor little mite must be in a lot of pain and every time I have given calpol, the pain eases as they perk up.

I am not surprised that you snapped at him x

Pipsqueak
07-07-2010, 06:19 PM
It can be beneficial to sometimes 'ride' out the pain but when its something like toothache/teething pains they are just allowing him to be in pain and that is wrong.
I don't think you have spoken out of turn so BRAVO to you:clapping:

crazyhazy
07-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Sound slike they've maybe got a bit confused there has been a lot of talk recently about medicines doing more harm than good with young children, one of the reasons medised etc are no longer licensed for younger ones. I think I have read that calpol has been linked with asthm, however, you do need to balance these things out and in this situation it sounds like the poor child was suffering. Do teething gels etc not help at all, liquid anbesol works a treat for my two when teething so might be a suggestion for the parents.

Gizmo
07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Sound slike they've maybe got a bit confused there has been a lot of talk recently about medicines doing more harm than good with young children, one of the reasons medised etc are no longer licensed for younger ones. I think I have read that calpol has been linked with asthm, however, you do need to balance these things out and in this situation it sounds like the poor child was suffering. Do teething gels etc not help at all, liquid anbesol works a treat for my two when teething so might be a suggestion for the parents.

I have asked for teething gel as well they used to keep a tube in his bag but for some reason its not there anymore. They just read too much imo I am always getting told different things to do or not do, they are quite a young couple and this is 1st child, this has just really angered me tho that they will just let him suffer when Mum dropped him off this morning she looked shattered had been up half the night with him screaming :panic:

ajs
07-07-2010, 07:06 PM
we can't win can we
one of my parents medicates for almost no reason
he is mildly asthmatic and does have hay fever but she gives him piriton morning and night and his inhaler if he leaves the house regardless of the pollon count

madredann
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
If they are not working with you to help ease the pain then I would def ring them inconvenience them and let them put up with their suffering child perhaps then they would help the child through this stage plus if the child gets a temp it could lead to febriule convulsion which I have seen and it is very unpleasant for the child and extremely scary for the carer

blue bear
07-07-2010, 08:19 PM
some parents!! one of my LO's likes an ice pole when he is teething, think it numbs the gums a bit.

Beetlejuice
07-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Poor little lamb :( Have you tried Ashton and Parsons teething powder? It sounds airy fairy but it's fab stuff - available at Boots etc.

mushpea
08-07-2010, 07:08 AM
You could ask them what they do at home when the child is teething and ask if there is a herbal remedy you could give instead? I never give either of my children calpol unless i have too cause it just sends them hyper active even when they are ill !!!

Kimmy050983
08-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Hi,

to be really honest , it does shock me a little bit , how much calpol english children are given! Of course when there is a high temperature involved it should be given but with teething pain I mainly give my son ashton and parsons and nelsons teeetha and these work just as well. I wouldnt be concerned with the paracetamol itself but calpol has got 5 e numbers, 3 of them which are forbidden to add to childrens food.

in germany we do gove paracetamol suppositories which are just plain paracetamol with nothing added. thankfully jamie is allergic to calpol (bet the e numbers) so that his doc prescribes suppositories.

I can understand the parents, BUT they should at least give an alternative like teething powders..

:o